Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Must...buy...Yamaha SGV

Goto Page: Previous 1 212 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next

There is an SG2C for sale locally, but the guy wants $300 for it. Not a bad price until you realize that it has a brutal blue paint job on the body and the headstock (no more Yamaha decal on headstock), missing circular Yamaha badge on pickguard, missing the poles on the neck PUP, missing the truss rod cover, and the PUP covers.

I also noticed that the trem bar is super low and very quickly touches the tone/volume knob. Is that normal or is there some adjustment required? I'm pretty sure it's the original trem arm (flat stamped chromed steel)

Does anyone have a source for this stuff (reproduction or NOS)?

https://www.facebook.com/index.php?lh=9353f9155b5ff32e14c998495fd00da4&#!/rich.derksen.7

I have a SG-3C and I got the same tremolo problem,
It's in a quite decent shape but I bought it for (incl. shipping import taxes) something less than 800 euro's from an australian ebayer.
And I know ralf kilauea bought his yellow sg-2c two days earlier for around the same price.
So 300 seems like a decent price, from my perspective at least.
There is a sg-2a on his way to me, where all the paint is taken off incl decal and with a missing tremolo. Which was also around the 570 dollar.

And for that price and state it's in, you can make the decision to give it a floating trem and a new pickguard with new pickups (I know ralf has one sg-2c with mosrite like p-90's)

Member of the league of banana yamaha's !

Thanks for the info. A part of me wants to buy it and do a really nice (not factory) paint job, and customize it a bit, but I've never done that sort of thing before, I'm super busy at work (and at home with the kids) and I barely have time to practice guitar so I don't know when I'd be doing all this work. Especially since I don't even know if I'll like it.

I'll probably pass on it, but if anyone else is interested, let me know, I have some pictures of it.

https://www.facebook.com/index.php?lh=9353f9155b5ff32e14c998495fd00da4&#!/rich.derksen.7

I'm looking to buy a red SGV 300 I found for 450 € (about $550). Looks in really good shape but vibrato arm is missing. What do you think ? Is it a good price ? Is it possible to find replacement vibrato arms ?

Monkey Ju

Pirato Ketchup
Facebook
Bandcamp

Clepak, here in the US that price would be a bit high for a SGV 300. As far as the tremolo arm goes, I have been told that Yamaha still has stock of these and you can purchase a replacement through them.

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

Where the heck did you find one? Been searching for a long time now without any success...

The Hicadoolas

Sancho, if you're talking about a new trem arm I got mine through yamaha24x7.com, but that site only serves the USA, you might try de.yamaha.com The part number you want is QC541101.

SAncho : ebay UK

Monkey Ju

Pirato Ketchup
Facebook
Bandcamp

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012 03:08:08

I'd say 450€ is the normal price now in europe. They show up on eBay as good as never. If I didn't have one already, I'd buy this one and I definitely wont sell mine again at all. Term arm costs about 30euros, I think.

@Fritz: no, I meant the guitar actually, but thanks! Wink
@clepak: yeh, saw that one too just after reading your post. I'd say: grab it! The price is okay.

The Hicadoolas

I'm not decided yet. I love it, I would probably play it but I already have too many guitars and my wife looked me with "the eyes" when I told her I'd like to buy that one...
I still have one day to think about it. As it's a buy it now dealand it's not sold yet , there are chances the guy will sell it again... at a cheaper price.

Monkey Ju

Pirato Ketchup
Facebook
Bandcamp

Risky, but maybe worth it. Or PM him with an offer.

The Hicadoolas

I hate to say this but these guitars are way over rated. I owned an SGV300 -it was a decent guitar. I would put it on par with a squier of the late 90's/early 2000's quality guitar. Kind of cheap feeling and sounded hollow. I think what grabs so many people is the appearance and the associations with bands like the Surf Coasters and Ghastly Ones that make this guitar have "cred". I am guilty of this and believe me I regret selling it but what I miss most of the look of it not the sound or feel. Your opinion may vary, taste in guitars is so subjective but I think I may be the first on here to say that I am not really a fan of these anymore.

That's why I hesitated. It would be 300 €, I would'nt even think about it but 450 €, it's different.

Monkey Ju

Pirato Ketchup
Facebook
Bandcamp

if you want one and have time wait there is sonme on the market ,they are still rare but it seems they become less rare in fact
i have buy my 300 300 € for me is it the right price but the international shipping make the price highter Argh
and i find my 800 at 400 € this time i think is a really good price cause they were sale for more in europe
i saw a 300 at 50 € in france but i have always one Big Grin

ludobag wrote:

if you want one and have time wait there is some on the market ,they are still rare but it seems they become less rare in fact
i have buy my 300 300 € for me is it the right price but the international shipping make the price highter Argh
and i find my 800 at 400 € this time i think is a really good price cause they were sale for more in europe
i saw a 300 at 50 € in france but i have always one Big Grin
i think they are great guitar and for now i don't think to sale them or only for another gas who need money like allmark or mosrite cause i have already too much guitar but i like the way they sound both ;diffrent than jag and jazz

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012 16:09:20

ludobag wrote:

i saw a 300 at 50 € in france

Where??? WHERE????? Shock image

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

at le bon coin
always here Big Grin

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012 17:44:46

The Yamaha parts resource is out of stock of the vibrato arms...anybody know of another USA resource?
I know you can use metric Strat arms but I'm not really a fan of them, plus the last one I had broke off in the hole and that sucked.

I was browsing around the KuroKumo site (the former maker of Mosrite "Excellents"), and saw a couple of pics on their blog that may be of interest to SGV enthusiasts:

The gist I got from the translation is that "Test Driver Sixty Six" will be a new series, not just custom one-off's. Most of us will probably never see one, but I'd be all over that white one that looks like a Blue Jeans model!

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Goto Page: Previous 1 212 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next