Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink The surfguitar101 2008 convention thread!

Goto Page: Previous 1 26 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next

I was so proud of Carol:

Surf Rider with PJ, Sandyfeet, Duff, and DP!

Outerwave was killer. Great job on Jerry Cole's Midnight Surfer!! That was freaking awesome!

Ghastly Norm sits in with Outerwave:

Eddie Bertrand with the Eliminators was mind blowing!!!!

It was so cool talking to everyone! And meeting Eddie Bertrand was quite a thrill!

Secret Samurai!

So much fun was had! Here is Diamond Head with an all-star cast:

Man I could keep posting more but don't want to overdo it. Just look at the gallery links in my previous post.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Its impossible to concentrate on work while all the memories are being brought back by all the photos! Great, great photos guys. Keep 'em coming!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Damn Danny...........that's a great looking Jazzmaster.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

eddiekatcher

ed

I know Eddie, great sounding too! Thanks.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

playing with ivan and danny above^

man, we look a little drunk...or something!

Last edited: Aug 06, 2008 17:58:43

dp

man, we look a little dunk...or something!

Ha! It's true! And look at Ryan just above. He's rockin' out, but the rest of the guys look bored out of their minds! LMAO

Courtesy of Tiki Tena:

That's a nice photo. I commented at one point Saturday that one of the day's biggest successes was that there were actual female human beings in attendance. How did surf become so markedly overpopulated by guys?

eddiekatcher

ed

Danny was going to use mine, I think he saw my Buzzstop and went for yours Eddie.

The Detonators with Marty Tippens filling in on drums:

Well, I gotta jump in here for a second....I can't tell you how proud I am of my brother Rick (sandyfeet) for having the guts to request playing with Paul Johnson. I've been a musician/entertainer all of my life and i know how difficult it is to not only come face to face with one of your hero's in life, but to be able to play with them too. I'm also proud of the fact that we both play in surf bands....thousands of miles from each other but WE BOTH PLAY IN SURF BANDS!! That's pretty cool. We each had a song on the '07 SG101 comp...that's pretty cool...and we're both basically rhythm players...our job is to make it easier for lead guys to do their job!! His only problem is he isn't left handed!! Nah, just kidding, just kidding.
I'd like to thank all of the surf music community for letting us in.
I'm gonna say right here and now that i'm coming over there next year!! I'm not gonna miss out on something this special again! I want to thank all of the guys and bands that wrote the great songs that we, The TakeOffs, get to play in one of the most beautiful places on Earth....thanks to Brian for this amazing website.....and thanks to Jeff for making the SG101 Convention happen....the only thing missing was a lefty!! There must have been a lefty somewhere....we can play too!!
Hey Jeff, you must need a vacation on Kauai after all of that huh?
Big Aloha,
R-R

The TakeOffs
"Kauai's Only All-Instrumental Surf Band"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-TakeOffs/312866840587

dp
Never fear...Danny single-handedly finished up the tune...awesome awesome awesome!

Yeah, Danny really is pretty awesome. There I was watching Pollo del Mar and thinking to myself, "And he's the ALTERNATE second guitarist! This isn't really his material ... He's just standing in?! He actually plays with a couple of other bands?"

dp

man, we look a little drunk...or something!

we're just high on reverb Dave!

Thanks Dave and Tuck. Sorry Doug, I felt sorry for Eddie's guitar, it wanted a chance to play with all it's friends too Smile

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

I can't add much to what's already been said - just wanted to add my thanks!

Too all of the bands who played, to Big Tiki Jeff and the rest for their time in organizing the event, to Brian for creating this site and bringing the surf community together, to all of the nice people who attended, and to the friendly citizens of Southern California - thanks for helping create one of the best, most memorable weekends of my life!

I'd also like to say that I agree it makes sense to keep any future SG101 convention events in the L.A. area.

Although I work in the Bay Area and have a home in Las Vegas, it just wouldn't be the same having the event in either place. The confluence of surf musicians, tiki bars, and the HB museum surfin' sunday shows cannot be topped anywhere.

In my case, coming down 101 from Oakland - the stopover in Ventura Friday night to see the Eliminators at Ventura Co. Fair (two long sets of kick-ass, surf genius), the short drive to Redondo Beach Saturday morning for the SG101 convention, and the awesome scene at HB Pier on Sunday made for the perfect surf music weekend getaway.

...something about surf music and the Ocean and Beach seems to g together, doesn't it?

Dead nuts on Danny..............thanks, ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

wooza
That's a nice photo. I commented at one point Saturday that one of the day's biggest successes was that there were actual female human beings in attendance. How did surf become so markedly overpopulated by guys?

Smile I'm not shure how it happened but Surf Music is a total Sausage Fest Laughing . Probably cuz it's guitar oriented music, I guess chicks could care less about that. But to those who do care Gracias Razz

The Deadbeats

HEY!

For those of you on My Space, I've loaded up 60 photos into an album.
Click here to view the SG101 Convention album.

-Kristena

"Turn the knob to 10 and break it off!" -Baja Marty

can you post some of the highlights for those of us that are not on myspace?
Rolling Eyes

Thanks,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto Page: Previous 1 26 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next