Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Latest surf or instro related record you got?

Goto Page: Previous 1 290 91 92 93 94118 119 Next

The cover art of the Los Straitjackers "Jet Set" cd is taken/inspired by Les Baxter's "Que Mango" cd.
The first pic of the woman in the black dress is from "Que Mango" with Straitjackets heads plopped in.

DaveF wrote:

New cd by the Glasgow Tiki Shakers "Little Orbit". Kick ass !

I just ordered that one from CD Baby, along with El Ray's "Tick Tick Tick". It's funny: I asked Bill & Joyce when it would be out when I saw them at the Redwood on the Thursday night before the convention, and they just shrugged their shoulders, and said, "Hopefully soon". I was surprised and thrilled to see that CD Baby had it a couple of days ago.

Bob

Saturday I bought "Little Orbit" at a car show in Whittier. The Tiki Shakers played the main stage & had it for sale with their other 2 cds.

websurfer wrote:

Great find, Klas! Interesting info on the Astronauts. All of your Japanese 45 covers would make a great coffee table book.

I actually store my picture sleeve 45s in special binders intended for singles, which makes it really easy to enjoy the covers.

CaptainSpringfield wrote:

I snagged that one last year but it wasn't until I dropped a crate of spy records off at Big Tiki Dude's for him and Tiki Tena's DJ sets at Tiki Oasis that I found out it was the Astronauts. (Jeff recognized a few of the band members on the cover.)

I'm surprised you didn't recognize them on the photo!? The band name is also printed (in English) on the back cover and on both labels as well.

The photo is the same that was used for their Go...Go...Go!!! album.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Picked these up while on the road at some vintage places.

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Klas wrote:

Added some more Japanese picture sleeve 45s to the collection...

I thought I was familiar with every single instro the Astronauts ever recorded but guess I was wrong... Japan only release of their takes on "Goldfinger" and "The James Bond Theme" featuring standard rock'n'roll arrangements of both songs (still the band is crediting themselves on the label alongside Barry and Norman, haha). No tank reverb or Jim Gallagher's trademark drumming which was a bit disappointing but not really surprising even though this is supposed to be a 1964 release. The recordings sound pretty crude and my guess is that they were recorded in Japan during the same session as their (although less crude) "Che Che Che" 45 which has a pic of the band in what I assume is the Japanese studio.

Warren let Kristena and I borrow a bunch of his Spy music to DJ at tiki oasis this year(Thanks Warren) and this was one of them.
I had never heard of it either. Bummed it hasn't resurfaced in the reissue cd series. But I too was bummed it didn't have more of
"their sound" I was cool to play some surfy spy stuff, while most everybody played the "real spy music"

Jeff(bigtikidude)

DaveF wrote:

New cd by the Glasgow Tiki Shakers "Little Orbit". Kick ass !

This album of all Bill McGlynn originals is awesome. Great songs, performed with precision, fire and class. The band is firing on all cylinders. Nicely recorded. Highly recommended! Yes

Bob

bigtikidude wrote:

Bummed it hasn't resurfaced in the reissue cd series.

I was a little surprised that none of their Bond themes (just learnt that there were actually four recorded and released) made it onto the Japanese all-instro Astronauts CD Movin' since "Che Che Che" is on it (although not the flip "Koi O Surunara").

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

From El Toro Records.

http://www.eltororecords.com/eltorowebshop/

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Just got the new Man or Astro-Man? 7" single from chunklet.

This is the first new Astro album in years. I am savoring every second...

Just listened to it twice... Headbang

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012 21:51:31

whats it sound like?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude wrote:

whats it sound like?

It sounds like MoAM picked up with where they left off with Starcrunch all those earth cycles ago. Made from Technetium, but a little crunchier. The A side is SICK!!! Oh man that song rocks. The B side has a vocal (but it's all down tuned and crazy, true astro style) and then there is a song with an accordion. No... really... an accordion. And it's actually pretty bad ass too.

According to the band, the songs are now available on iTunes and will also be available via other digital retailers (bandcamp hopefully) very soon.

Here is a good article about this release and it also gives us some idea of what we can expect in the near future.

Article Here

The Astro-men are officially back. Happy Happy! Joy Joy! Big Grin

Oh yes, the mighty MoAM! I've been listening to:

The MoAM meets Tortoise album. To my ears anyway.

El Twitter
El Ray
El Ray on Bandcamp
El Twang on YouTube

Picked this up today. My son found a couple of Beatles albums at his grandfathers house (my ex-wife's dad). Managed to talk him out of those to give me for my birthday. He even offered a stereo as I didn't have one. Bit surprising, really...... Hmmm Anyway....hit up a local record store. Picked up a couple of LPs. Had a bit of Ventures stuff....nothing else of note. I happened to mention that I was looking for some other records, and then asked about MoAM. He had just gotten this one in. Still has the jukebox tag with it!

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

Last edited: Mar 01, 2020 08:16:32

Left of the Dial Records in Seal Beach is having a sale this weekend, everything's at least 20% off (some of it's 50%) and I picked these up today:

The Shadows LP is a German greatest hits LP I think. That Raybeats LP has been there forever but was a little more than I wanted to pay for it, but now that it's 50% off...

If anyone in the OC area has time this weekend it's worth checking out. The 50% bin still has lots of great stuff even if it's not instro-related (Untamed Youth, King Crimson, Zappa, and Elvis Costello just off the top of my head).

Hot Summer Comes Again!
Let's Go Beach! Let's Go Beach!

Waiting on my Double Crown order to arrive:
Yes

The Concussions
- Magic Fingers
- Fall In Love With The Concussions
The TomorrowMen
- It's About Time (Real stoked about this one!)
The Penetrators
- Locked & Loaded

The Traveler by The Man From Ravcon
I'm a bit behind on acquiring new music but there is a vinyl show here in Nashville so who knows.....................
There are so many great records by bands here on SG101 that I need to get records from.......time to start ordering

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Mexican Chili Taco Fiesta featuring Daddy-O Grande!

Chris

A heads-up for anyone here into British early 60's instro groups besides just the Shadows. At first glance I thought I already had too much on it but when studying the tracklist a bit closer, it turned out that I only had about half of the tracks previously. Lots of great stuff on it for any euro-instro fans.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008EOQV52/

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Goto Page: Previous 1 290 91 92 93 94118 119 Next