Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Latest surf or instro related record you got?

Goto Page: Previous 1 289 90 91 92 93118 119 Next

I just listened to the Mariners new cd "Demon Surf" also.
Great Production, nice songs, good artwork, Pro job all the way

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Demon Surf! arrived at my place yesterday, and I'm with everybody else on this one — it's terrific.

Bob, I'm not sure what's going on in the South, but I'm sure glad it is!

Toby

Wow, thanks for the kind words, guys. The finished product was just received from the duplicator last Friday and I sent out a few promo copies. We're working on a distribution deal with a fellow SG101-er with a familiar record label so we haven't started marketing or promoting the album yet.

I previously posted a pic of the front cover earlier in this thread. Here is one of the inside pages with the song list/info in case anyone is interested. Lots of variety, mostly original songs, definitely not a "concept" album. Smile

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

I picked up a few CDs and Records from Baja Marty's incredible collection. I had a lot of records on CD already, but just wanted the vinyl.

"Ex Libris Marty"

CD - The Nebulas - Self Titled
CD - The Surfites - Big Pounder
CD - The Fathoms - Fathomless (Scratch another holy grail off the list!!)
CD - The Fathoms - Overboard
CD - Davie Allen - Blues Theme
Vinyl - Space Cossacks - Tsar Wars
Vinyl - Ghastly Ones - A Haunting We Will Go Go
Vinyl - Fifty Foot Combo - Go Hunting
Vinyl - Phantom Surfers - Play Big Screen Spectaculars
Vinyl - Phantom Surfers - Great Surf Crash of '97
Vinyl - Phantom Surfers - Exciting Sounds of Model Road Racing

RIP Marty! I will rock these tunes in your honor!

I am incredibly jealous of your new copy of "A Haunting We Will Go Go," but congrats on the groovy new record.

The Phantomatics on Facebook
The Phantomatics on Instagram
The Phantomatics on Bandcamp

I am incredibly jealous of all of these CD's and records, what a great haul. Marty definitely was a man of good taste!

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

where is The Mariners Demon Surf available to buy?

I'll be in Atlanta on Saturday to pick up the CD's and then will soon thereafter initiate a distribution arrangement with a well known distributor. WoodyJ will be making an announcement on SG101 very soon about it. Thanks so much for your interest in our latest effort.

Ron (ToneBoy)
The Mariners (1964 to Present) www.myspace.com/themarinersfirstwave
Lonzo & Oscar (1999 to Present) www.lonzoandoscar.net
www.myspace.com/lonzoandoscarcomedy
Billy Henson & Summerstorm (2001 to Present)

Finally got one my two holy grails of surf music today, Head Shrinkin' Fun on vinyl.
I can't wait to give it a spin!

The Phantomatics on Facebook
The Phantomatics on Instagram
The Phantomatics on Bandcamp

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Added some more Japanese picture sleeve 45s to the collection...

I thought I was familiar with every single instro the Astronauts ever recorded but guess I was wrong... Japan only release of their takes on "Goldfinger" and "The James Bond Theme" featuring standard rock'n'roll arrangements of both songs (still the band is crediting themselves on the label alongside Barry and Norman, haha). No tank reverb or Jim Gallagher's trademark drumming which was a bit disappointing but not really surprising even though this is supposed to be a 1964 release. The recordings sound pretty crude and my guess is that they were recorded in Japan during the same session as their (although less crude) "Che Che Che" 45 which has a pic of the band in what I assume is the Japanese studio.

The Ventures' instrumental take on Yuzo Kayama's great "Yuhi Wa Akaku". Flipside is the Ventures original "Up, Up And Away" off their Batman album.

Not a huge fan of "Hokkaido Skies" with its acoustic lead guitar but the flip "Tokyo Nights" is really good. Japan only relase.

The Blue Comets. English language version of their hit "Blue Eyes" with the great instro "Blue Comets '66" for the B-side.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Hey Howard, The Mariners "Demon Surf!" is now available through CD Baby and Deep Eddy Records. Hope you enjoy it. Thanks.

Ron (ToneBoy)
The Mariners (1964 to Present) www.myspace.com/themarinersfirstwave
Lonzo & Oscar (1999 to Present) www.lonzoandoscar.net
www.myspace.com/lonzoandoscarcomedy
Billy Henson & Summerstorm (2001 to Present)

I've finally been able to tear myself away from the El Ray CDs, and have been listening to these two recent acquisitions:

Bang! Mustang: The Big Twang Theory (Berlin, Germany)

The Concussions: Fall in Love with... (Grand Rapids, MI)

REALLY enjoying both CDs! The more I hear them, the more I like them, too. They're growers!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012 09:00:14

Currently giving this the first spin:

So far I like it quite a bit! I actually quite liked their last one, '09's "The Further Advetures of...", but this one may be even better. Nice to see them back in full force! (Been many years since I've seen them last, but it looks like they're not really coming very close to me on this tour... bummer...)

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

So far I like it quite a bit! I actually quite liked their last one, '09's "The Further Advetures of...", but this one may be even better.

I think this might be my favorite since "Sing Along With…". Yeah, I know it's not a surf album.

Great find, Klas! Interesting info on the Astronauts. All of your Japanese 45 covers would make a great coffee table book.

Klas wrote:

Added some more Japanese picture sleeve 45s to the collection...

I thought I was familiar with every single instro the Astronauts ever recorded but guess I was wrong... Japan only release of their takes on "Goldfinger" and "The James Bond Theme" featuring standard rock'n'roll arrangements of both songs (still the band is crediting themselves on the label alongside Barry and Norman, haha). No tank reverb or Jim Gallagher's trademark drumming which was a bit disappointing but not really surprising even though this is supposed to be a 1964 release. The recordings sound pretty crude and my guess is that they were recorded in Japan during the same session as their (although less crude) "Che Che Che" 45 which has a pic of the band in what I assume is the Japanese studio.

Convention haul:

Normally I don't bother chasing MoAM 7"s but I had to make an exception for this one, since I've got the board game they borrowed the artwork from.

Klas wrote:

I thought I was familiar with every single instro the Astronauts ever recorded but guess I was wrong... Japan only release of their takes on "Goldfinger" and "The James Bond Theme" featuring standard rock'n'roll arrangements of both songs ...

I snagged that one last year but it wasn't until I dropped a crate of spy records off at Big Tiki Dude's for him and Tiki Tena's DJ sets at Tiki Oasis that I found out it was the Astronauts. (Jeff recognized a few of the band members on the cover.) It reeeeally doesn't sound like them.

That Blue Comets single is killer.

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

That Exotics "Enchanted Interrogation Room" release - is that a 7" or CD? Haven't seen that one before, but I gotsta have it!

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

It's a 7" with a free download. Killer stuff!

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

New cd by the Glasgow Tiki Shakers "Little Orbit". Kick ass !

Goto Page: Previous 1 289 90 91 92 93118 119 Next