Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Latest surf or instro related record you got?

Goto Page: Previous 1 26 7 8 9 10118 119 Next

Ok, Madeira got here yesterday - this album absolutely SMOKES!!!! Killer playing, some inspired writing...totally reverb-envy-inducing. I'll be listening to this nonstop for awhile. Twisted Evil

The Disasternauts

Impala: El Rancho Reverbo

pretty cool tunes, I will have to put together a QuickReview on this one soon.

-dp

Very cool Dave, where did you find that. I haven't seen any Impala cd's around for awhile.

do you have any of their other stuff.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude
Very cool Dave, where did you find that. I haven't seen any Impala cd's around for awhile...do you have any of their other stuff?

jeff:

this is my first Impala CD, I found it on the Ebay...but, a quick websearch shows that it's also available over at CDUniverse:

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1139465/a/El+Rancho+Reverbo.htm

it's a cool CD, but I'll have more details in a review real soon...

-dp

Klas
imageJust received the Stompers (The Irridescents) "The Silver Sounds of The Surf" 1963 album which I won on eBay recently.

That's quite a find Klas! Congrats.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

'surfme'n'tal' by estrume'n'tal.
certainly not trad in any way and a bit hard to catagorize. hard driving rock instrumentals with a surf sound, i guess. definitely some catchy tunes.

www.surfintheeye.com

I too just ordered "Into the Blue Sparkle" (as well as "Warning: Reverb Instrumentals!") by Slacktone. Anxiously watching my mailbox.

momsurfing_
'surfme'n'tal' by estrume'n'tal.
certainly not trad in any way and a bit hard to catagorize. hard driving rock instrumentals with a surf sound, i guess. definitely some catchy tunes.

I am a big fan of this one. I listen to "Vacalgada", "Torpeido" and "Casa Du Sol Nascente" (House of the Rising Sun) quite a bit.

Jet Sterling, Cosmic Spy
www.surfabillyfreakout.com

I tracked down a copy of the Sundazed "Surf War" comp, and I'm shocked at how absolutely evil the Centurians' songs are. They <i>had</i> to have tuned down at least a step--the half-dozen tunes of theirs on the comp have a totally different feel than the ones on their album. The rest of the comp is pretty cool, too.

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

CaptainSpringfield
I tracked down a copy of the Sundazed "Surf War" comp ...

I too managed to find a copy a couple of years ago. Great stuff!

From Reverb Central review:

Ya know, it's albums like this that were the rarest jewels of surf. Compilations with otherwise unavailable tracks by killer combos. This comp is all classic surf style, and pretty raw too. It's amazing that the masters are still even around after a mere 35 years. There are probably stereo masters somewhere, but mono will have to do in the mean time. This is mastered from the album master, not the studio session tapes, but man-oh-man, is this an important release! With half the tracks from the Centurians, it could be viewed as their first album, or at least half album / ep.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

As the cover says, it's rocking northwest instrumentals. From the backcover:

A trick bag full of searing guitar, wailin' sax and hard-on-the Hammond workouts from the great Pacific Northwest, 1960-1965. Utterly essential for any instrumental fan, "Riot City!" makes a helluva party disc too.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
As the cover says, it's rocking northwest instrumentals. From the backcover:

A trick bag full of searing guitar, wailin' sax and hard-on-the Hammond workouts from the great Pacific Northwest, 1960-1965. Utterly essential for any instrumental fan, "Riot City!" makes a helluva party disc too.

I forget which band does it, but the cover of "Banzai Pipeline" on that comp is jaw-dropping.

-Warren

Yeah, great version! The band is Danny & The Seniors.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

I finally got around replacing my Big Surf and Surfer Girl Sentinals CDs with the Sunset Beach CD (all on Del-Fi), which contains the two albums + a bonus track. The two older single CDs have horrible (stereo) master tape sources featuring murky sound and occasional full volume drop-outs! After reading at Reverb Central that the Sunset Beach CD contained the mono mixes in "clean and crisp" sound quality, I thought it was time for an upgrade as I usually also prefer a mono mix for these type of 1st wave bands.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

i bought the ventures love in japan 65 and the record of the surfonics.
those ventures are geniuses....

www.myspace.com/captaintwangandhisrhythmcat

Klas
The two older single CDs have horrible (stereo) master tape sources featuring murky sound and occasional full volume drop-outs! After reading at Reverb Central that the Sunset Beach CD contained the mono mixes in "clean and crisp" sound quality, I thought it was time for an upgrade as I usually also prefer a mono mix for these type of 1st wave bands.

So how much of an improvement is the best-of? I've never been too thrilled with how the single CDs sound.

-Warren

CaptainSpringfield
So how much of an improvement is the best-of?

It's a huge improvement and sounds really good without any noticable flaws. There's also a more recent reissue (also in mono?) of the two albums on Collector's Choice.

I wonder how the Sentinals felt about having two of the guys from the New Dimensions on the front cover for their second album? Laughing

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Aqua Velvets - Radio Waves.

I think I'm going to OD on surf music. Is that possible? Thats the latest among a lot. Its all good Laughing

Here's a great one I got recently. Holds quite a few rarities and I only had a couple of tracks previously.

SIDE A

ROYALTONES - BLACK LIGHTNING

MOPTOPS - MOPTOP

REGENTS - MOTIVATION

BEDWELLS - KARATE AGAIN

GESTICS - INVASION

VULCANES - MOON PROBE

BOB VAUGHT & THE RENEGADES - CHURCH KEY TWIST

MOONS - GAMMERA

SIDE B

MOTIVATIONS - MOTIVATE

HUSTLERS - MIGRAINE

MOTIONS - BIG CHIEF

NOMADS - BOUNTY HUNTER

A-JACKS - FURY

TWILIGHT STRINGERS - PALE FACE TWIST

BARRACUDAS - SATURN

TELSTARS - TOPLESS

Don't be fooled by the corny album title. Nothing particularly sleazy about the content.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

I recently picked up the Razorbaldes "Dark Side of the Beach". It's very good!!!

It almost seems to flow like a concept album, kinda like the Razorblades "Sgt. Pepper's"!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Metalunas - Instrumentals of Terror
Saboteurs - Espionage Garage
Stereophonic Space Sound Unlimited- The Fluid Sandbox
K Omura & Dr. K Project - Cross Echo Live (two discs, all Shadows covers)

-Warren

Goto Page: Previous 1 26 7 8 9 10118 119 Next