Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Latest surf or instro related record you got?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2104 105 106 107 108118 119 Next

And "Surfbeats and Deadbeats" from The Waterboarders

pavlovsdog wrote:

Yep! It showed up on discogs and I jumped on it.

That's where that went. I'm getting old....
Congrats - sorta. Big Grin

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015 14:19:00

THIS IS MY FAVE!!!!!!!! MUSIC, ARTWORK, EVERYTHING!!!!

UKAY54 wrote:

Finally, and at long last, I got this one

Green Cookie records
www.greencookie.gr
http://greencookierecords.bandcamp.com/

Green Cookie Beach
http://www.northseasurfradio.org/#!green-cookie-beach/c3pr

Playlists
http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/22677/

Picked this one up for a couple of euros in the 2nd hand bin at my local recordstore:

You can never have enough Ventures albums!

www.alohasluts.com
Aloha Sluts on BandCamp
www.arnyzona.com (my photography)
Aloha Fest on facebook

jerry cole and his spacemen-surf age ...

http://www.surfgrammeln-san.org
https://www.facebook.com/BaluUndSurfgrammeln
http://greencookierecords.bandcamp.com/album/coming-out-soon-los-chicharrones-del-surf-10

The mailman brought me a little package from Double Crown Records yesterday:

The Del-Vipers - Terror Of The Del-Vipers

Wow, just WOW!!!! Best record of the year so far (yes, I dare to say it is even better than JD McPhersons new album!)

www.alohasluts.com
Aloha Sluts on BandCamp
www.arnyzona.com (my photography)
Aloha Fest on facebook

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015 05:16:30

Yes I got it too!
Highly recommended.
I've only had a chance to hear it once, but I look forward to many more.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'm so glad that Del-Vipers album is finding an audience. I listened to my digital copy an awful lot last year

I went a little nuts on 7"s off of discogs the other day

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Terror of the Del-Vipers by The Del-Vipers (Thanks Double Crown Record Club!)

StereoExotique by The Tikiyaki Orchestra
Moment of Truth by Dave Myers and The Surftones (Both thanks to Jonpaul and the recent Luxuria Music fundraiser!)

Play Guitar With The Ventures (first volume) by The Ventures (Thanks to my amazing local used record store!)

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015 12:10:38

my latest finds , very rare and obscure 45s

https://www.youtube.com/user/cicodelico/videos

The Supertones - "Going to a Rock and Roll Dance Party"
http://www.doublecrownrecords.com/the-supertones-going-to-a-rock-roll-dance-party-cd/

excellent 2014 album by The Supertones, ...delivered to the east coast in practically seconds!

Toes on the Nose - excellent compilation featuring all the singles by Eddie & the Showmen and a lot of stuff by Richard Podolor (i.e. Richie Allen & the Pacific Surfers, The Super Stocks, The Ghouls). 32 tracks!!! I'm very glad that this was in the mail today, so I had something cool to listen to while I did some long overdue fret polishing. Smile

Noel wrote:

Play Guitar With The Ventures (first volume) by The Ventures (Thanks to my amazing local used record store!)

Cool, did the Ventures LP still have the booklet? I faintly remember that I had found some tabs for these records online a few years ago, from which I then learned Walk Don't Run. Never heard the record themself, though.

And I still have to get that Dave Myers CD! I have a few songs on a compilation, but not everything.

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015 13:29:00

Toes on Nose is a killer compilation. The Jerry Cole and the Spacemen version of Pipeline is great.

Got some nice european surf music from the 90s

Nice score!
Dig the Spankers 7"s. The enola gay has Vahim on the b-side, no? Amazing tune in my opionion.
Have them on my want list too..

Cheers,
Andy

www.LosVenturas.be

LosVenturas wrote:

Nice score!
Dig the Spankers 7"s. The enola gay has Vahim on the b-side, no? Amazing tune in my opionion.
Have them on my want list too..

Cheers,
Andy

Yep, Vahim is the B-side. Yes Thanks

I learned about this album here on SG101 a couple years ago or so. A proud Reggae/Ska/Dub fan here completely blown away by the creativity Prince Fatty & The Mutant Hi-Fi to mash up some great reverb/surfy guitar lines with the indigenous sounds of Jamaica. Just Brilliant. Managed to score this on CD from across the pond, arrived in my mailbox today. Whoot! Whoot!

photo

I am pretty sure this isn't for everyone, but if the styles I've noted being mashed up or the cover art have your interest, read on and give this stuff a spin over on soundcloud if not grab a copy for yourself!

This write up is better than anything I'd come up with, so I give you someone else's great write up, complete with Nick 'Mutant Hifi' Coplowe's comments about the project.

From parisdjs.com

Prince Fatty meets The Mutant Hifi in 'Return Of Gringo!'
(CD/LP/Digital) Mr. Bongo, 2011-11-21

In the end, we had to wait until November for 2011's funniest record. 'Return Of Gringo' is a faux soundtrack in which dub, ska and surf meet spaghetti western in the tradition of maestro Ennio Morricone. Dub and spaghetti have always been good bedmates - just lend an ear to Swiss duo Trance Hill and Dub Spencer to understand why. But here we're not dealing with some low-rent Trinita series but a bigger budget altogether. The result? A genuine blockbuster with first-class actors...

Starring famed Brighton producer and retro-futurist dub wizard Mike 'Prince Fatty' Pelanconi (Hollie Cook, The Pharcyde, Lilly Allen) and his pal Nick 'Mutant Hifi' Coplowe (multi-instrumentalist and producer for Asian Dub Foundation, Little Axe, Adrian Sherwood et al.), Return of Gringo is catchy from track 1 to 12. It's short enough to make a killer party album but long enough to mesmerize the audience. Nick Coplowe plays guitar (adding tons of spring reverb), glockenspiel, bass, keyboards and melodica. Prince Fatty runs the mix and the special effects, loading fun and frenzied sounds such as a mule braying itself to death, horses neighing, gunshots and, of course, echo throughout. There's also a classy backing band with a rich horn section that captures the Arabic and Mexican sounds to a T (for the full line-up, read below). The accomplices are joined by a guest star, the legendary Alessandro Alessandroni. And it's a brilliant idea. For newbies and dummies, Alessandroni is the unforgettable whistler from the Sergio Leone/ Ennio Morricone westerns (Fistful of Dollars, Once Upon a Time in the West, etc.) as well as being a highly respected multi instrumentalist and composer. Adding Alessandroni's mellow whistling to the project not only gives Return of Gringo an unexpected touch of beauty and a melancholic tinge; it also shows Prince Fatty's and Mutant Hifi's respect and love and respect for their predecessors. That's why it's a major achievement, one the best-ever parodies yet sincerest tributes to Leone/Morricone - along with Australian act The Western Spaghetti Orchestra.

The last word goes to cheeky Nick 'Mutant Hifi' Coplowe, who styles himself as a 'musical pervert'. He was a bit slow to write, so I threatened to send both Lee Van Cleef and Henry Fonda over to pay him a visit.

So Nick says:
"Hi Paris DJs! Prince Fatty and I are old friends, former flatmates. We've talked about a surf/ska collaboration for years, laughed about it, plotted, planned, come up with concepts - some of which may yet see the light of day in future releases. A mutual love of spaghetti, and westerns led us to Return Of Gringo!, marrying the arab/hispanic/sephardic influences on our favourite surf instrumental music to our love of Jamaican ska. Being an instrumental project, a theme is very important in order not to disappear up our own creeks and give guidance. Return of Gringo! came about after a long session of watching the original Italian versions of the great Sergio Leone movies (originally the album was to be Dub for Victory - themed after the various boys' WWII comics popular from the 50s-70s). The influences (and titles) came thick and fast, and tied in with our new found love of cumbia music (we watched Butch Cassidy) and so we went with the cowboy theme. Although the album took nearly 2 years from conception to release, being inspired, we worked fast, and spent most of that time making other records. Both of us have long experience of working with people who take forever agonising over their records, killing the vibes and boring everyone stupid and blowing budgets, and we didn't want to do that for ourselves. Return of Gringo! is an album made strictly our way, with no compromises - even the deal wasn't sought until the album was near completion to avoid the kind of unconstructive interference experienced on other projects. Above all, it was a labour not only of love, but of fun, which I think comes out in the general irreverence of the end result, and is the only way to make music for yourself. No donkeys were harmed in the making of the album, even while performing tricks..." (Nicolas Ragonneau)

Tracklisting
01. Transistor Cowboy
02. Balck Powder
03. Plague of Locusts
04. Wear The Black Hat (If The Black Hat Fits)
05. Way Back to Town
06. Across The Border
07. Up The Creek
08. Moscow Mule
09. Son of a Thousand Fathers
10. The Good, The Vlad and The Ugly
11. Blondes have more Guns
12. Hava Nagila

Worship

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015 19:17:37

Too many to show pictures.

Just before I left for the Instro Summit.

Shark Country/ Burton's Move 45, by SloBeats featuring Kenny Vaughan.
The Lonely Bull/Bullseye! 45, by The East Nashville Teans featuring Eddie Angel.
Groovy Grubworm/Scratchy 45, by The Gregg Martin (Kentucky Headhunters) Group.
Wayward Sons/Many Moons Ago 45, by Peter Lacey.
For a Few Guitars More Morricone Tribute CD, by many, many, many great surf bands!
New California Surf Music CD, by Glaskow Tiki Shakers.
Frankenstomp CD, by Satan's Pilgrims.
Surfin' the Silver Screen CD, by The TarantinosNYC.

Shopping at a local record store in Durham, N.C.

Local Warming CD, by Laika and the Cosmonauts.
9 Dead Alive CD, by Rodrigo Y Gabriela.
DEFCON 54321 CD, by Man or Astroman?
The Best of Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs CD.

At Instro Summit.

Infra Green LP, by Insect Surfers. I already had the CD, but ... it's green! And the LP!
Ones and Zeros LP, by Tsunami Experiment. I had bought the CD the day before, but it's the LP! Even if it isn't green.
Ones and Zeros CD, by Tsunami Experiment.
The Out of Limits self-titled EP. It came with a tin-foil hat! And comic book!
The Out of Limits self-titled EP. I bought it before I realized they also had the package with the tin-foil hat and comic book!
Stomp It/Money EP, by Crazy Aces featuring Chad Shivers.
Run Like Hell CD, by Wrecks House.
Dam! (Another Release) CD, by The Surge!
Ghoulie High Harmony CD, by Genki Genki PANIC.
Del Rios Ride CD, by The Del Rios.
The Del Rios EP, by The Del Rios.
Let's Go Play Outside CD, by Don Schott.
Reverb Sun CD, by Insect Surfers.
Creepers from the Deep CD, by 9th Wave.
The Surf Guitar Heard Around the World CD, by The AmpFibians.
HOTBOX CD, by Aqualads.
The Pharaoh CD, by Monterreys.

I have some serious listening to do. I better get busy.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: May 19, 2015 20:17:16

Onslow_Beach wrote:

I learned about this album here on SG101 a couple years ago or so. A proud Reggae/Ska/Dub fan here completely blown away by the creativity Prince Fatty & The Mutant Hi-Fi to mash up some great reverb/surfy guitar lines with the indigenous sounds of Jamaica. Just Brilliant. Managed to score this on CD from across the pond, arrived in my mailbox today. Whoot! Whoot!

photo

I am pretty sure this isn't for everyone, but if the styles I've noted being mashed up or the cover art have your interest, read on and give this stuff a spin over on soundcloud if not grab a copy for yourself!

This write up is better than anything I'd come up with, so I give you someone else's great write up, complete with Nick 'Mutant Hifi' Coplowe's comments about the project.

From parisdjs.com

Prince Fatty meets The Mutant Hifi in 'Return Of Gringo!'
(CD/LP/Digital) Mr. Bongo, 2011-11-21

In the end, we had to wait until November for 2011's funniest record. 'Return Of Gringo' is a faux soundtrack in which dub, ska and surf meet spaghetti western in the tradition of maestro Ennio Morricone. Dub and spaghetti have always been good bedmates - just lend an ear to Swiss duo Trance Hill and Dub Spencer to understand why. But here we're not dealing with some low-rent Trinita series but a bigger budget altogether. The result? A genuine blockbuster with first-class actors...

Starring famed Brighton producer and retro-futurist dub wizard Mike 'Prince Fatty' Pelanconi (Hollie Cook, The Pharcyde, Lilly Allen) and his pal Nick 'Mutant Hifi' Coplowe (multi-instrumentalist and producer for Asian Dub Foundation, Little Axe, Adrian Sherwood et al.), Return of Gringo is catchy from track 1 to 12. It's short enough to make a killer party album but long enough to mesmerize the audience. Nick Coplowe plays guitar (adding tons of spring reverb), glockenspiel, bass, keyboards and melodica. Prince Fatty runs the mix and the special effects, loading fun and frenzied sounds such as a mule braying itself to death, horses neighing, gunshots and, of course, echo throughout. There's also a classy backing band with a rich horn section that captures the Arabic and Mexican sounds to a T (for the full line-up, read below). The accomplices are joined by a guest star, the legendary Alessandro Alessandroni. And it's a brilliant idea. For newbies and dummies, Alessandroni is the unforgettable whistler from the Sergio Leone/ Ennio Morricone westerns (Fistful of Dollars, Once Upon a Time in the West, etc.) as well as being a highly respected multi instrumentalist and composer. Adding Alessandroni's mellow whistling to the project not only gives Return of Gringo an unexpected touch of beauty and a melancholic tinge; it also shows Prince Fatty's and Mutant Hifi's respect and love and respect for their predecessors. That's why it's a major achievement, one the best-ever parodies yet sincerest tributes to Leone/Morricone - along with Australian act The Western Spaghetti Orchestra.

The last word goes to cheeky Nick 'Mutant Hifi' Coplowe, who styles himself as a 'musical pervert'. He was a bit slow to write, so I threatened to send both Lee Van Cleef and Henry Fonda over to pay him a visit.

So Nick says:
"Hi Paris DJs! Prince Fatty and I are old friends, former flatmates. We've talked about a surf/ska collaboration for years, laughed about it, plotted, planned, come up with concepts - some of which may yet see the light of day in future releases. A mutual love of spaghetti, and westerns led us to Return Of Gringo!, marrying the arab/hispanic/sephardic influences on our favourite surf instrumental music to our love of Jamaican ska. Being an instrumental project, a theme is very important in order not to disappear up our own creeks and give guidance. Return of Gringo! came about after a long session of watching the original Italian versions of the great Sergio Leone movies (originally the album was to be Dub for Victory - themed after the various boys' WWII comics popular from the 50s-70s). The influences (and titles) came thick and fast, and tied in with our new found love of cumbia music (we watched Butch Cassidy) and so we went with the cowboy theme. Although the album took nearly 2 years from conception to release, being inspired, we worked fast, and spent most of that time making other records. Both of us have long experience of working with people who take forever agonising over their records, killing the vibes and boring everyone stupid and blowing budgets, and we didn't want to do that for ourselves. Return of Gringo! is an album made strictly our way, with no compromises - even the deal wasn't sought until the album was near completion to avoid the kind of unconstructive interference experienced on other projects. Above all, it was a labour not only of love, but of fun, which I think comes out in the general irreverence of the end result, and is the only way to make music for yourself. No donkeys were harmed in the making of the album, even while performing tricks..." (Nicolas Ragonneau)

Tracklisting
01. Transistor Cowboy
02. Balck Powder
03. Plague of Locusts
04. Wear The Black Hat (If The Black Hat Fits)
05. Way Back to Town
06. Across The Border
07. Up The Creek
08. Moscow Mule
09. Son of a Thousand Fathers
10. The Good, The Vlad and The Ugly
11. Blondes have more Guns
12. Hava Nagila

Worship

Thanks for heads up on this Fady!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2104 105 106 107 108118 119 Next