Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Wilson Brothers Venture Guitars

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

I, being in a constant state of near-brokeness, have been trying to snag a deal on a used Wilson Bros guitar on eBay for a couple of years. Bruce outbid me on the last Strat copy that was up (only other bidder...errr) and I'm currently bidding on the baseline Mosrite lookalike (so no bidding from you, Bruce!). Eddie (lead guitar player for The Surge) had one for a while, a VM-65 that he traded because it just never bonded with him, but I thought it was a really sweet guitar and almost bought it from him on several occasions. Our bass player liked it too. His caveat was the tuning stability, and after playing it for a little while I saw that he was right (though he plays harder than I do).

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

After reading what some of you had to say about Mosrite vs Wilson Brothers guitars,I feel that maybe I was barking up the wrong tree in my search for a perfect surf guitar. What i deduced from all the comments was a real vintage Mosrite is too much money to pay and a top of the line Wilson Brothers may not get the performance i would expect from a Mosrite. Does anyone know anything about Ed Romans Mosrites?Wikipedia says Semie used to work for Rickenbacker is this true? I used to own a 60s jazzmaster and a 60s melody maker now i kick myself in the butt for selling them.

Richard, I sent you a PM.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

namnoiz..
If you HAVE TO deal with Ed Roman. (and it will probably only be once), realize you will be paying TOP DOLLAR for your Mosrite.. and it is a copy of mysterious origin (my bet is that it's from Roman's own luthrerie shop) Ed doesn't negotiate price - unless you have something in trade he wants and most likekly you don't. If you look on Ebay, you will see guitars and parts from user zamminc (or is it zaminc?). Those are the fillmore copies and they play great and the prices are more realistic. Failing any of that, try going to a vintage guitar show.. you may luck out... and cash usually talks a great deal.. it has for me....good luck

Just a "little" Mosrite surf music....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boneScKCGuU&mode=related&search=

Goto Page: Previous 1 2