Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
168 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
115 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Any FENDER CORONADO II Fans?

Page 1 of 1

I recently added a 1967 Fender Coronado II Wildwood to my collection..... and it is GREAT for surf. Jazzmasters have always been my favorite, but the Coronado is a refreshing change of pace. Basicly a Jazzmaster neck on a full hollow 330 style body, very Gretschy sounding DeArmond pups.... sounds huge through the Showman. The trem works great, too.....Any other Coronado fans out there in surf land?

Congrats on your new gtr Bong-o, you'll probably have/get the same response that I got when I bought my Mosrite Celebrity I. Mine is like a Gibson 350 (deep body depth), but looks like a 335 from the front. Mine is all natural, but with Mosrite Humbuckers from 1969-70. I was ecstatic, but I didn't get that response from anybody......oh well Rolling Eyes

p.s. Enjoy your 'Nado. Very Happy

BTW!! The Wildwood Series is the most sought after as far as collecting
goes, so by ALL MEANS, keep your eye on it, if you take it to a gig..... Thumbs Up

.......make the Mos' of it,
.....choose the 'rite stuff!
.........owner of 9 Mosrites
proud owner and documented:
1963 "The Ventures" Model s/n# 0038
http://www.vintagerock4.com
www.mosriteforum.com

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008 12:13:17

I got one off myself almost a year ago and I love it. I didn't get a Wildwood though! They're the coolest. Hope you enjoy it!

I played one in a music store one time and really liked the feel of the neck and the hollow body "tone/sound" (whatever is politically correct these days). It was also very light.

I never plugged one into a Showman but it seems they'd feedback like a mo' fo' banshee.

Coronado trems are great though I wish there was a bit more tension in the leaf spring. The guitars look great and sound cool - how are you finding access high up the neck? It never seemed easy to me, more like a 330 than a 335 with the deep neck pocket.

I once was offered to buy an excellent condition cherry red Fender Coronado II for 4000 kr ($615) from a bandmate. Boy, have I regreted not taking taking him up on it but I just hadn't the money at the time.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Dennis - Celebrities look cool, too. I eyeballed those for a while.... haven't actually played one, but Mosrites are well made and very reasonably priced vintage guitars. I have a 1968 Joe Maphis that I love. Almost non existent frets and REALLY thin necks are not my favorite, though!

Ben - I thought I'd have feedback issues, but to my suprise, no. My 1966 Jag squeals way more.

Mel - I agree, the trem is a bit mushier than a Jag / Jazz trem, but not as mushy as my Mustang trem. It suites me fine for a surfy wag or dip. You are right about reaching the top frets.... gotta loop the whole hand over to reach the highest notes.

Klas - Too bad you passed on that beauty.... that would have been a steal. But all in all, Coronados are a good deal in the vintage 1960's Fender guitar world......

That looks awesome.

My first electric guitar was a beat-up cherry red Gibson ES-330 with a Bigsby. I still feel like spitting when I think about what a fool I was to trade it off. The Coronado II reminds me a bit of that guitar.

Swing! Twang! Shake! Twist!

Man, like the saying goes, If I had a frickin dime for every guitar I let slip thru my hands, OR got rid of for the wrong reason, I'd be in Hawaii right now makin plans to have our first SG101! Convention!! Rock

.......make the Mos' of it,
.....choose the 'rite stuff!
.........owner of 9 Mosrites
proud owner and documented:
1963 "The Ventures" Model s/n# 0038
http://www.vintagerock4.com
www.mosriteforum.com

I had a Coronado I back in '72. Like an idiot I didn't keep it. For obvious reasons, the Coro II is a better axe for Surf. I wish that FMIC would do a run of Coro RIs.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

i only regret losing one guitar.. a perfect.. orange Robin aritsan.... amazing guitar, and i don't even remember what i got for it:( i traded a 68 twin reverb to get it though... nice amp.. too loud:)

I wanna play just like him when i grow up...

Bong-O
I recently added a 1967 Fender Coronado II Wildwood to my collection..... and it is GREAT for surf. Jazzmasters have always been my favorite, but the Coronado is a refreshing change of pace. Basicly a Jazzmaster neck on a full hollow 330 style body, very Gretschy sounding DeArmond pups.... sounds huge through the Showman. The trem works great, too.....Any other Coronado fans out there in surf land?

hi, i have recently discovered quite a nice conorado and am considering buying. do you recommend?

Page 1 of 1