Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink ASPRI mechanical acoustic reverb unit

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

I just received an ASPRI reverb for my acoustic guitar. The unit attaches to the face of the guitar and transfers string vibration mechanically to a spring chamber. I have wanted one for a long long time...ever since I first saw (and heard) one in the late 1980s. The original Canadian manufacturer is long out of business, but these ASPRI units still pop up on the ebay every now and again. It's a cool totally acoustic reverberator that seems to work well with both steel strings and nylon strings.

check out the ASPRI mechanical reverb on Youtube

Anyone else out there use an ASPRI?

I've been curious about those too. Certainly not too "drippy" but it seems to sweeten it up a bit. Please post a review once you get a chance to play around with it.

That's actually pretty clever. Too bad it probably wouldn't fit on my Selmer copy...

Matter is just energy waiting to happen.

SGF
That's actually pretty clever. Too bad it probably wouldn't fit on my Selmer copy...

Yeah, the Selmer-Maccaferri style guitars have those lyre style tailpieces...the ASPRI reverb probably won't mount correctly over the tailpiece.

After playing around with the ASPRI device, I am quite impressed! The device works as described, although it did take a few tries to learn how to place (mount) the device correctly. The ASPRI is a plastic clamp-on reverb chamber that contains springs which pickup string vibrations at the bridge. If the tension on the ASPRI reverb springs is too loose, the device can rattle; too tight and the reverb effect is diminished. After about an hour of trial and error, I learned the correct placement for my classical acoustic, and the device worked like a charm. Once I learned what placement worked best on my guitar, then it was quick and easy to get the proper setup at a moment's notice.

Of course, the reverb effect is not as dramatic as electronic effects are, this is not a replacement for the sound of a Fender Reverb Unit. Nonetheless, the effect IS compelling, so much so that find myself leaving the unit on the guitar permanently. In other words, when it's not in place, I miss the sound enhancement of the ASPRI.

Well worth the current street price of US $20-$40 if you can find one on ebay.

Great idea but how do they work?

Do you mean how do they function, or how well do they function? It's basically 3 springs in a plastic box. You can hear it, but it's not that loud. It is fun, though.

It scared the crap out of me when I saw that guy put it on his guitar. Never in a million years would I put my precious up to that. Unless maybe I had one in hand and could fathom that it wouldn't hurt my precious. Not that my precious' finish is pristine.

Do you mean how do they function, or how well do they function? It's basically 3 springs in a plastic box. You can hear it, but it's not that loud. It is fun, though.

Ok, so it's basically a gimmick huh, I wonder why anyone would bother when you can just either get an amp, foot pedal or a tank to do the job properly.

read the first sentence of the thread!

DP, is it a bit like a resonator guitar?

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Watch the video! Smile

JakeDobner
It scared the crap out of me when I saw that guy put it on his guitar. Never in a million years would I put my precious up to that. Unless maybe I had one in hand and could fathom that it wouldn't hurt my precious. Not that my precious' finish is pristine.

Jake:

don't fear the reverb!

...the ASPRI is well-padded with sturdy foam. it touches the guitar at the bridge saddles and at the bottom bout. the ASPRI does not contact the face of the guitar.

it was designed not to hurt a precious guitar...
it does sound hideous while you install it...the video sounds like he's torturing his guitar...the ASPRI is a pretty sensitive device, and picks up the "string-scrape-noise" when you slide it under the strings...sounds awful until you get it in place...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008 18:23:54

Spud

Ok, so it's basically a gimmick huh, I wonder why anyone would bother when you can just either get an amp, foot pedal or a tank to do the job properly.

spud:
it's no gimmick. it's not designed to be an emulation of a Fender Tank or any effect pedal. It is simply a subtle acoustic tone-chamber with springs inside. the springs attach under the strings at the bridge. The springs mechanically reverberate within the chamber.
...real reverb, just not real DRASTIC reverb (like a Fender unit)

the cool part is that you can get reverberation without any electricity at all...which might be a cool thing when playing acoustic guitar unplugged...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008 18:15:07

WR
read the first sentence of the thread!

DP, is it a bit like a resonator guitar?

WR:

yes, it is a bit like a resonator....the principle is basically the same.
instead of mechanically vibrating a resonator plate, the strings vibrate springs inside of an acoustic reverb chamber....

UPDATE: there's a demo of the sound of the ASPRI unit over in the "Downloads" area, under "Gear Samples".
ASPRI reverb demo

Hi,
ASPRI reverb units are available once more!
If you're in Canada or the US then check out the link:
http://aspriacoustic.com/

If you're in UK/Europe drop me a line as I have recently started importing units.

There are improvements on the original, better low frequency response to my own ear.

There are some recent videos on youtube (lovely cover of 'Here comes the Sun'). From my own experience once you have one of these fitted and bedded in a bit you won't ever take it off again.

Nylon strung available now, steel soon to follow.

Most importantly you don't need to wait it out or chance your arm on ebay!

sweet! thanks for the update.

Can you tell us the difference between the nylon and steel strung versions?

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

Hi,
Amazed at the swift response after such a long break, many thanks.
Any interest in the nylon strung version in the UK/Europe then let me know.

Sorry cannot tell you the steel strung difference, at a guess I'd say longer metal
Bracket for the larger body. Will see for sure in April.

That's very weird, I've never even heard of such a thing.

72' Sliverface
Fender RI tank
American start

Goto Page: 1 2 Next