Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Hotel Utah show 10/21 and pre-show meetup

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Yeah the the whole day was a load of fun, starting with the little get-together beforehand. We had a good surf posse going at the restaurant. Representatives from all three performing bands and fans from all over the state.

The show was a really good one. It was cool to finally..._finally_ see the Tomorrowmen live and they were everything I hoped they would be. Really high energy performances of solid, killer songs. It's a good thing those guys are local because I'm gonna want to see a whole lot more of them (In a number-of-attended-shows kind of way, not a get-naked-like-the-Pyronauts kind of way.)

So yes, by now everyone has heard about the Pyrounauts's performance. It was hilarious, and near-nudity aside, it was another killer show as is to be expected from those guys. There was energy coming out the wahzoo. Maybe that's what the diapers were for.

Pasta del Mar was really cool too. Definitely more subdued than the previous two bands, but they held their own in their own right. Really cool songs and an very cool vibe throughout the performance. The lack of reverb threw me off for the first couple songs. I was trying to figure out what seemed "off" about the sound, but once I realized that I've just grown too accustomed to reverb it all sounded really good.

Plus it was cool to meet some new people like BigtikiJeff and meet up with familiar faces. At the end of the day a handful of us went to Ghiradelli square and got ice cream sundaes. Lots and lots of fun. My condolences to everyone who missed out.

Forgot to mention, they were showing "the Good the Bad and the Ugly" on the screen behind them while playing, that was definetly a added bonus that I thought was a cool idea.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

No photos??? Smile

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

What a fantastic show. Big thanks to everyone involved. All three bands sounded great!

I agree with what others have said...I'd like to see and hear more from Pasta Del Mar. Really enjoyed that set. Great arrangements and sounds.

Looking forward to LOTS more Tomorrowmen too. I've been waiting to see them live since I saw the first vid on youtube. Loved Danny's big reverbed Jag sound and the band was tight. Tony was banging away like a wildman. Killer.

I've seen the Pyronauts quite a few times, but somehow they always bring something new...and they always bring the energy and the fun. The gorilla grunts between songs cracked me up every time. Love those guys.

Man, it was just three solid hours of great music.

Finally met Bigtikidude, who immediately started up the conversation like we were old friends. It was a pleasure, Jeff.

I briefly met Outsides, too. I kind of guessed it was her after seeing her at the last 3 shows in S.F. We need those SG101 shirts...I still don't know who RobbieReverb is.

And then, to top off the evening, Wooza gave us a tour of Albany! Wink

Can't wait for the next one...

Don

bigtikidude
I dunno where Ferenc got the idea I ate that much guacamole

Hyperbole Jeff-- building the legend!

Thanks for coming up, and talk to your dad about that club of his, maybe we can bring the Pasta Del Mar to SoCal!
Thanks,
--Ferenc

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Hans here from the Sand Devils in San Diego. My wife and I caught the show at the Hotel Utah and had a blast having lunch with the gang and catching the show! Here are some pixs for you to enjoy.

The Tomorrowmen!

Pampers on Gorilla!
Paul, Don't take off the Mask!!
New Pasta Del Mar T-thirt!

Pasta Del Mar!!!
Yeah!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/TheSandDevils

http://metamorphosisroad.blogspot.com/

Hans,

Thanks for the pictures man! Awesome to see you up North. Hope you guys are safe in San Diego... Your house is pretty close to a canyon, I hope it's not on fire.

Paul

sonicsurfpilot

Notice the two early 90s Vibroberbs???

Hans, thanks for the Pics!!!!

--fd

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Hey, some monkey left a banana on my Showman Monkey

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Brian
No photos??? Smile

I don't own a camera, but I borrowed my dads digital camera to take pix of the whole weekend trip, But I took so many pix of the tiki places on Sat. the battery died.
and I forgot to bring the charger.
Doh!!!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

PolloGuitar

bigtikidude
I dunno where Ferenc got the idea I ate that much guacamole

Hyperbole Jeff-- building the legend!

Thanks for coming up, and talk to your dad about that club of his, maybe we can bring the Pasta Del Mar to SoCal!
Thanks,
--Ferenc

Ah,
gotcha, as if my name doesn't proceed me enough, you want my belly to be infront of that. Wink

I will talk to my dad, but I was trying to explain that there is most likely a Nor. Cal. branch of the club as well. So you could possibly play that too.

Great to see you and the Mrs. as Always.

Thanks for the kind words Don, your a cool dude too.
I really like most people in the surf community,
they are a easy going crowd. You should have mentioned you wanted to meet Robbie Reverb, aka Bob, I would have introduced you.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

PolloGuitar

sonicsurfpilot

Notice the two early 90s Vibroberbs???

Hans, thanks for the Pics!!!!

--fd

I've got a feeling that this picture is gonna haunt me for some time! But at least I've got my early 90s vibroverb to make my ears ring!

Danny, sorry about the banana on your showman! They're kosher though, right?

Paul

And of course the Pyronauts told no one but after the show they were all going to drive to Florida without stopping to take revenge on ex-lovers...

...too soon?

drummer-Lava Rats

Bob Bitchin's final thought...
What a great show, I had so much fun. It was great to see all of the friendly faces at the Utah. It's too bad I had to leave early, our daughter developed what we thought was an ear infection at home, but she ended up being ok. So I was really bummed about not getting to see Pasta Del Mar. Maybe another day.

Danny, the T-men are great. Keep on kickin' it out! Maybe you should fill in with the P-nauts more often.

Big Tiki Jeff, great to see you again, even if you did tell my wife to buy a lawn mower for my back...

Hans, I'm glad you posted the pictures. Now I see I should apply for Extreme Makeover. Thanks again for your hospitality in San Diego.

Everyone else, i'm sorry, i'm sorry, i'm sorry.... But it really was a hell of alot of fun. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Bob Bitchin'

Awesome show. Good seeing the SG101 crowd.
I was tired as hell, I had an awful hangover; so sorry if I wasn't too social. But I had a great time. The Pyronauts rocked my diaper-less ass. Seriously, you guys were so awesome. Blew me away!

Science friction burns my fingers.

Pyronauts
I've got a feeling that this picture is gonna haunt me for some time! But at least I've got my early 90s vibroverb to make my ears ring!

Danny, sorry about the banana on your showman! They're kosher though, right?

Paul

Paul, that Vibroverb sounded real good. How do you like it
compared to the Twin Reverb? I just bought one of the Fender
Custom shop Blackface Vibroverbs. It kills!

Bob S.

Bob

RobbieReverb
Paul, that Vibroverb sounded real good. How do you like it
compared to the Twin Reverb? I just bought one of the Fender
Custom shop Blackface Vibroverbs. It kills!

Bob S.

Bob,

It's lighter and more versitile than the Twin Reverb. I'll never part with my Twin Reverb though, whenever I need to melt faces, I'll have that! I wish my Vibroverb was blackface though as I prefer that look. My Vibroverb has some mods to it, Weber Speakers, and I'm not sure what else as its previous owner did some stuff to it... (some other surf guitar guy named Paul). You can hear the amp on his "Plugged in and Live" CD. It's got a new power chord on it so I'm assuming that he added something special that required a thicker guage power chord. Regardless, I think it sounds killer, very similar to Ferenc's. The other new addition to my tone is my 1965 blackface reverb unit that I picked up a few months ago that I LOVE!!!!

It would be fun to put your vibroverb next to mine and see how they sound different.

Paul

PS: anyone live near the Hotel Utah that might be able to swing by and pick up a couple of items we left behind? Please PM if you can.... and no these items are not diapers Smile

I'm sorry Bob Bitchin' sometimes I open my mouth and all kinds of
Puke bad stuff comes out.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Pyronauts
PS: anyone live near the Hotel Utah that might be able to swing by and pick up a couple of items we left behind? Please PM if you can.... and no these items are not diapers Smile

I'll do it, Paul. email me.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

just re-read this whole thread,
good times indeed.
I need to get up to Nor. Cal. again.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next