Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Eddie "Mr. Rebel" Bertrand in the news

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 813 14 Next

cool photo Kyle!

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Hello Eddie, greetings from The Czech Republic!

Although I don't play guitar myself, I have been a surf music record collector for something close to 25 years and I have a great interest in the music and all the artists from this period. Thank you for sharing your time and memories with us all...

I love all your E&TS stuff and 'Squad Car' and 'Scratch' remain two of the most played surf instrumentals in my collection.

I have a couple of questions I would like to ask you if I may:

1) I have a vinyl album titled 'Teenage Fair' (I think recorded live at the Hollywood Palladium in '63 or '64) which features a live version of 'The Scratch' credited to The Showman. I also recall John Blair many years ago, (around the time of The South Bay Surf Bands Revival concert I think), stating that he had heard tapes of E&TS playing live in the 60s...

I would like to ask if you can confirm that live tapes from the 60s do exist and if they could be considered, at some point, for commercial release...?

2) It has often been stated that both David Marks and Carl Wilson modelled their early 'guitar-interplay' playing style whilst in The Beach Boys on that which yourself and Paul Johnson were doing whilst in The Belairs. (There is a tape circulating of part of a live late 61 Beach Boys personal appearance where they can be heard playing Mr Moto...)

Regarding the unveiling of The Beach Boys Monument in Hawthorne a year or so ago, - I read that you joined David Marks on stage during a 9 minute version of 'Moon Dawg'...

I would like to ask if you and David remain in regular contact with each other or was this occasion just a lucky 'one off' happening...?

Good luck with all your future projects,

Dekuji mockrat (That's Czech for 'thanks alot'),

mrski

This site makes my day.........Thanks Brian!

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Hi All....

Just a short note.....I will be responding to Ivan, Kyle and mrski in the next day or so. Sorry guys I have been buried.

My Best To All.....

Eddie

Hi Ivan,

(1) Yes I did add that question after thinking about it. But really….It just did not, and still does not, mean all that much to me. But nothing at all for you to be sorry about, Ivan. Really man.

(2) Yes, Leo was all of that and more. After further thought, I only recall twice that Leo accepted money from me. He had a couple of Showman heads with single 15” cabinets with out a home. I think it was $150.
He did not charge me one cent for what he did to my Piggy Back Bandmaster. That was the beginning of the endorsement with Fender.

(3) Yes, the wood used to build the cabinet will of course make a difference in the sound. Some would argue, (and I am one) that even the cover material, glue and how the glue is applied matters a little bit as well.

(4) The Showman Amps started with E&TS. I don’t recall trying out a Showman, or Showman prototype, while I was with The Bel Airs. It’s possible though.

(5) The “spin” that writers put on things I have issues with. It can tend to change the raw facts of the matter. I do think however the truth is trying to be said….
It is the drama that has been penned, in my opinion, which has the potential to be misleading. If you know what I mean.
I never really looked at the “whole” of it as a rivalry...I heard DD said something...then I responded. I was NOT consciously trying to compete with Harmony Park in any way shape or form!

(6) As far as the songwriting credits: I would have to do a search to find out who wrote, as example, Far Away Places…I can’t remember now if I wrote BreakTime or heard it somewhere else…It seems I came up with that one. BUT……At this point if there is even a chance I am wrong, I will not commit till I am positive.

(7) The Lively One’s were fun to watch….that’s for sure. I don’t remember Masoner doing a lot of jumping however. He had a very powerful looking stance.

(8) Laughing. The Kathy Marshall thing was just joking around. We never dated. She and her family were just very “nice” people that were very good to me.

Rob Edwards and John Andersons interplay was significant. So was the role of the bass guitar. Some very cool bass patterns. I never needed to say much of anything to them about what to play. They came up with the formula and the “who will play what” mostly on their own. I worked closer with the drummers.

Rob became heavy into graphic arts. He was an over the top, awesome artist.
He died not long ago. I miss him. I don’t like doing life without him. We were close right to the end. We lived 10 minutes apart. Always there…

Kyle,

Absolutely "no apologies" required. Besides, you have become a good friend and friends should never have to say I am sorry. Cool
Totally enjoyed our phone conversation the other day.....We could have gone on and on talking about guitars and amps etc.

Take care pal, and say hi to your lovely bride 4me,

Eddie

Hi mrski

#1) I cannot confirm, because I have not seen or heard anything myself. The chances are great that live recordings are out there, bootlegged or otherwise. So consequently I could not release anything other than my own CDs.

#2) Yes I did a 9 minute version of Moon Dawg on stage with David. Approximately 6 of those minutes I was playing alone or jamming…not knowing in advance what I am going to play is something I really enjoy. Spontaneity can be a rush!

David and I have stayed in touch on a fairly regular basis all these years. We talk on the phone and try to see each other when he is in Los Angeles.

Thanks mrski for the cool questions… Please visit my web site and post a note on my message board…that would be an honor for me.

Stay in touch,

Eddie

Web site - eddiebertrand.com

E-Mail – eddiebertrand@yahoo.com

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013 13:03:22

Hello Eddie. I recently took a look at your website. Very cool stuff indeed! I did have one question. You mention on your "Eddie's Equipment" page that your Reissue tank was modified. Can you tell us what mods were made to the tank? Thanks a million!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Hi Ryan,

Be happy to tell you. It was a simple thing. We changed out the tray and the tubes. I pulled the tray out of one of my 'Quad Reverb Amps". And my friend Norman Cowell did the rest.

Hope that helps.

Eddie

Thanks for your response Eddie, very much appreciated...

I re-read some old interviews which you and members of The Showmen gave in the past and I would like to ask another question if I may?

What can you tell us about The Belltones, (a name obviously derived from The Belairs and The Deltones I would think...?), I read that this was your first band after leaving The Belairs...? Can you tell us if this was a serious effort to get a band together or was it more like a 'fill-in' until The Showmen were formed? Over what kind of a time span did The Belltones exist... I assume it was very short-term? I get the impression that The Belltones pretty much 'evolved' into The Showmen, would this be a correct?

Thanks once again for your time Eddie, it really is great to receive a direct contibution from you here... The wonders of modern technology, they just can't be beat! (Unless, from what I understand, the talk revolves around vintage guitars and amps that is!!)

Vsechno nejlepsi a hodne stesti !

(That's Czech for 'All the best and lots of luck!')

mrski

Again: this is a very interesting thread. I enjoy reading every little detail about how things were in the surf scene of the 60s.

One aspect I'm particularly interested in is the everyday aspect of playing in a surf band in the 60s (compared to now).

Therefore I put together a whole lot of partly silly questions about these issues. I hope you don't find them too stupid...;)

1. Did you often play multiple gigs in one day?

2.How many times did you normally play per week? Which days?

3.When you backed other artists did you have a lot of time to rehearse their songs? Did you get to rehearse with them before playing live?

1. Could you describe the practical aspect of a gig:
    a.Where did you store the instruments and equipment when you didn't play?
    b.Did it take long time to put it up in the club? Did you do it all by yourself, or was there a person from the club supervising everything?
    c.Did you eat together before shows? If so: where?
    d.What did you normally do after the gig?
    e. Did you change strings before each gig?
    f.Were there friends of you coming to each gig?
    g.Was it a problem that you had other things to do besides playing?
    h.Could you buy Eddie & the Showmen singles at the show?
    i. How much were you paid per gig?

Allright: maybe some of the questions are difficult to answer, so let them be. Also if there are some aspects that are not covered here, please feel free to comment on them too.

again thanks

guitarist, The Mobsmen

Hi mrski,

Some things I would sure like to forget……:)

The Bel Tone name lasted about a minute!!!
Yes mrski very VERY short lived, (laughing). It sucked, it really did. Actually, it was Eddie Bertrand – Dickie Dodd and the Bel-Tones.

About as fast as the Bel Airs broke up Leo Fender had outfitted me with Showman Amps…..thus the name. I have no idea why one of the Showmen would have even brought it up in an interview to begin with. It was a very bad choice of names. Especially compared to Eddie and the Showmen which I feel had class.

Thanks once again mrski, for the inquiry.

God Bless,

Eddie

Hi Wavy,

#1) I did play more than one concert on occasion. Not often though.
#2) Played two to three times a week. Like Thursday thru Saturday.
#3) The Showmen would learn the material (if complicated) ahead of time. I knew who was playing a week in advance normally. We also had some rehearsal time in green room with the various artists before they went on.
#4)
a. I kept my equipment in my house.
b. Actually Eddie and the Showmen didn’t play clubs. But yes I had people to handle it if I needed.
c. Not really….more eating after the shows.
d. Go eat!
e. I changed strings a lot…but not necessarily before each concert.
f. There were always friends and family at the shows.
g. The only thing I had to do besides playing my guitar was surfing.
h. People bought my records back then at music stores and record shops.
i. Money varied a little from show to show, but not much. It was a lot!

Cool Questions Dude. Thank You.

Eddie

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013 13:04:03

Thanks again for the quick reply Eddie!

The answers generated a couple more questions however;)

What hours did you play normally? How long would a show last?
Which songs would you normally do/how big part of the set would be surf-instrumentals?

Did you also rehearse at home? (I don't live in the US, so I'm not that used to having a garage inside the house, still I have the impression that this maybe was a common solution among bands??)

regards
Simen

guitarist, The Mobsmen

Hi Simen,

Normally the hours we played were between 8 PM & 12 midnight.....I would play at most two sets, approx. 45 minutes each. I would do mostly surf instrumentals, my own as well as some from other artists ie: Duane Eddy, The Shadows, The Ventures, etc.

We normally rehearsed at home in the garage or patio or at the concert halls during sound check. And yes, lots of bands I am sure rehearsed the same as I did.

Garages are not in the house, I just kept my guitars etc. in the house.

Good Questions Simen…..Peace,

Eddie

Hi Eddie, Here's something I have been meaning to ask that I have been wondering about . . .

Someone in another thread mentioned the fact of the young age of the great musicians in the first wave surf bands. I read on your website that you and Paul Johnson got together as a couple of teenagers to play guitar and "Mr. Moto" and the Bel Airs came out of that. It continues to amaze me that the classic songs in the "canon" of surf music were written by teenagers.

I have been listening to this great surf compilation CD "Surf Legends and Rumors". Lots of great bands--Surftones, Chantays, Blazers and more, but again, according to the liner notes, the average age of these groups was 17!

Anyway, so much for the set up. My questions (finally) . . . Smile

A. Have you ever thought about (in hindsight) how so many classic tunes could be written in such a short time span in one place (So Cal.) by teenagers?

B. Also, the originals to the CD I mentioned above were all recorded at Wenzels' Downey Records, a mom and pop record store with a recording studio in the back. Were you aware of that place back then?

Hi Scott....

First of all, thank you for your kind words to Dario Gomez and myself regarding the endorsement on the "Gear" thread..

Question A.
I really never thought about it before you asked. Looking back I just simply wrote a melody one day, and another one few days later, and so on. But apart from surfing and going to school, that's what I did everyday, played guitars and wrote songs.

Question B.
I was not aware of Wenzels'.

Thanks Scott,
Eddie

Well then, it must be true what they always say... "the great ones make it look easy".

Also just let me say as the others have--it's a real honor to have you here! I'm sure we're all looking forward to good things to come from your arrangement with Gomez amps.

Hello Eddie:

Wow, I completely forgot that I didn't answer this post - sorry! I'll keep it short.

EddieBertrand_
(2) Yes, Leo was all of that and more. After further thought, I only recall twice that Leo accepted money from me. He had a couple of Showman heads with single 15” cabinets with out a home. I think it was $150.

For the head AND the cabinet? For both amps or per amp? Either way, sounds like quite a deal!

Did you use single 15" cabs much back in the day or did you usually stick with Dual Showmans?

Rob Edwards and John Andersons interplay was significant. So was the role of the bass guitar. Some very cool bass patterns. I never needed to say much of anything to them about what to play. They came up with the formula and the “who will play what” mostly on their own.

They both did a really great job with it, very creative rhythm guitar and bass playing that added a lot to the songs. In my mind that's really one thing that sets E&TS apart from much other surf music. The arrangements were always very interesting and interplay between instruments was among the best of any surf band.

I worked closer with the drummers.

That's the case with me, too, and I think several other guitarists I know. I wonder why that is? I'm much more picky about the drums than I am about bass, though I absolutely appreciate creative and melodic bass playing that adds to a song.

Rob became heavy into graphic arts. He was an over the top, awesome artist.
He died not long ago. I miss him. I don’t like doing life without him. We were close right to the end. We lived 10 minutes apart. Always there…

I'm really, really sorry to hear that. What a shame, he was far too young to die. It would have been amazing to see Rob playing with you again.

Congratulations on your endorsement, Eddie, can't wait to hear you rip it up with these new amps! And I truly can't wait to hear your new music.

Best regards,
Ivan

PS Did you see the thread on SG101 about Jim Roberts sitting in with a surf band again, and playing surf music for the first time in decades?

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Hi Ivan,

I think it was for each, to answer your first question, although he gave me so much gear I might be wrong. What I paid was way below his cost. The money was to pay for Freddys overtime, so the amps and cabinets sounded the way I liked. lol

I used single 15" cabinets then changed to twin 15" cabinets because I got a bigger sound.

You were probably thinking speakers when you said "dual showman" but just for the record, as far as I know, the name "dual showman" was referring to an amp head. I would NEVER play guitar through a dual showman head, only showman heads.

Now I play through two showman heads and two twin 15" cabinets or four 15"s. Sometimes I add a third cabinet (looks like a fender cabinet) with four 60 watt 12" celestion. My gear is blond with oxblood.

These amps will soon be replaced with Gomez Amps. I also highly recommend his spring reverb unit … great sound.

No, I did not know Jim was in a band. Do you know who or where?

Later Ivan, Hope all is good.

Eddie

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 813 14 Next