Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Eddie "Mr. Rebel" Bertrand in the news

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 513 14 Next

Awesome Eddie, thank you! Worship

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian
Awesome Eddie, thank you! Worship

ditto

This is a great thread.

-K

"Turn the knob to 10 and break it off!" -Baja Marty

Gee, I belive I have seen that reverb tank setting somewhere before........neat, really neat. Thanks again Brian and Eddie B for putting this all together..... Happy Eddie K (Tuck you are toast)

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Hey Eddie K.......Where have you seen these settings before?
All I know is.......at those settings I liked my sound.
Maybe a lot of people used the same settings...
I would have no way of knowing.
It is a great thrill to connect with you Eddie and all the really good people here. And I really mean "connect".

Thanks for your note Mr. Katcher..

Sincerely,
Eddie

Mr. Rebel, I have two more... first, what's the scoop on the jag you're currently playing? it looks (and sounds!) absolutly mindblowing. is it vintage? is it from the E&TSM days?

secondly, HBKahuna posted videos form your surf musem gig a while back, and one of them was a "modern" surf (or surf-ish?) thing you did, quite long too for a surf song. is this your new direction? are you (planning on) writing more material in this direction? Is there a change you'll get to record again, with this new material? I (and most everyone here) am fully in love with all the frist wave stuff, but it's also really cool that you're trying new directions. I loved that clip. just curious about your plans!!!

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

This might need to get the award for the the coolest SG101 thread EVER! Thanks for the answers, Eddie. Getting these answers unfiltered, first hand, is quite a privelege! We are very grateful that you are taking the time, and more than happy to show our love and appreciation!

I must say I'm a bit surprised about the reverb setting. There are few songs where your guitar sounded considerably 'wetter' - Showman Stomp comes to mind. Is it possible you turned up the reverb for a song or two?

A few more questions, the first one related to Ruhar's question: did you use your Strat much during the E&TS days or did you completely switch to the Jag?

Second, your playing seemed to take a big leap forward going from the Belairs to E&TS. Did you do any extra woodshedding around that time, or was it that there were simply no restrictions put on you with E&TS and you could play whatever you wanted. Your playing becomes much more aggressive, fiery and technical with E&TS. Just wondering if that was intentional, and if you did anything special to make that happen.

Finally, have you seen the story in a magazine/book Dumb Angel Gazzette from about two years ago talking about you and Dick Dale? The author claimed that back in the day one could either be your fan or Dick Dale fan, and that the two sides (fans, not players) would be quite hostile to each other. The article also presents a story that you ran into DD walking on a beach in the '70s, the first time you met each other, and went back to his place and jammed. Are these true?

Thanks, Eddie! You rule!!
Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Wow, I am like Ivan and most everyone else around here, still very much in awe of your presence and most valuable input, and I too am most grateful.

I have used those basic settings on my reverb tanks since my first one in 1966. There has been considerable friendly debate on the tank settings here for years. It's good to know that I am in such good company.

Best Reverbs,

Eddie K

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

This is to overhead_Ted...

Hi Ted,

Sorry it took a while to answer you.
I have no idea if Glen Camble ever played surf music. But he was around at the time and there is a good chance he did. However I never heard him play. Interesting thought what he may have sounded like.

Eddie

SonicChris...

I am unaware of Sonny being a part of the MR Moto project. But that does not mean he wasn't. Just means I didn't know about it, and that doesn't surprise me. I was left out of decisions at 15 years old that turned out to hurt me financially and otherways. So Iam sorry but no "first hand" info to offer.
I heard something not long ago that Sonny may have been a part of mastering or promoting or something. I'll check with Paul and see if he knows anything.

Thanks Chris for your interest,
Eddie

OverheadTed_
I remember hearing something about Glen Campbell ("Rhinestone Cowboy" fame, egads) playing surf music back in the day...Eddie? Is that perhaps the case? Seems funny to me...

Glen Campbell played some guitar on the Super Stocks recordings and probably other surf style songs recorded by the Wrecking Crew. I always imagined that it was he playing lead on songs like "Ramcharger", but we'd need the session sheets to confirm it. He also filled in on bass and vocals for Brian Wilson for about 6 mos in 1965. He's quite a guitarist-someone posted the video of William Tell Overture recently I believe...
Anyway, I bet that even though it all falls under "surf music" that the record making of Gary Usher with the Wrecking Crew and the "real" gigging bands like Eddie and the Showmen were two separate worlds.
Would you say so, Eddie?
Great to have you here,
Ted Pilgrim

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007 13:23:06

To Kyle ... diceophonic

Hi Kyle, sorry to you as well for not getting back to you sooner.

I have talked to Delvy now and then over the years. So yes we have stayed in touch. But I have no idea what he is up to at this time.

There are no immediate plans for a Bel Air reunion. Paul and I could do something if time would permit. However I don't know what's going on with Chas or Jimmy right now. It would be great fun I know that.

And now Kyle, unknowingly you hit a sore spot. I do not have any of my original gear. It makes me sick inside to think I didn't see the future.
From the fact that the quality of workmanship, the great componets, the great everything put into that equipment has never been matched since. Not to mention if I had every piece of equipment Leo ever gave me, what it would be worth. But most importantly sentimental value. And of course how great that gear sounded. I would give anything to be playing through all my original guitars and amps right now. Damn man i was lucky enough to have the first piggy back Bandmaster with two 12" instead of one 12" speaker. It was a prototype Leo built me...I am sure you have heard thaty storie.
Oh well......Live and learn.

Thanks for the questions Kyle,

Eddie Bertrand

Like night and day in my opinion spskins.....

Hi Ruhar,

It was during the bel airs that I went from strat to jag......the only reason was it was a new model fender guitar and had new sounds to play with and a smoother tremelo arm.

Most of the recordings of Eddie and the Showmen were done with th jag....but I went back to the strat in the last recordings and performances.

Thanks Ruhar,

Eddie

I remember hearing something about Glen Campbell ("Rhinestone Cowboy" fame, egads) playing surf music back in the day...Eddie? Is that perhaps the case? Seems funny to me...

Glen Campbell played on some Beach Boys recordings but I've never heard about any instro surf bands. I took some lessons from a guy who knew him, Bob Dodd. I wonder If there was any relation to Dick Dodd?

spskins
Glen Campbell played some guitar on the Super Stocks recordings and probably other surf style songs recorded by the Wrecking Crew.

Campbell supposedly played lead guitar on some instrumental hot-rod albums that came out on Del-Fi in the sixties, credited to made-up bands: the Darts, the De-Fenders, the Deuce Coupes. Here's a link to the Amazon site selling the Del-Fi CD that compiled all that stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Del-Fi-Hotrodders-Darts-Fenders-Coupes/dp/B0002LO7BA
I have an earlier version of this CD. I haven't listened to it in many years, but my memory is that it's all rather generic and lacking in much passion or imagination. They sound like they just went in and played the music that was put in front of them. Campbell did not impress.

Ivan

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Awesome thread. Thanks Eddie! Cool

Don

Hey WR

About the Jag. It's not my original Jag from the eddie and the showmen days but it is a late 64' early 65' with ALL the parts Leo used to build the "good" Jags. So I am very lucky to own it. A very good friend of mine owned it and he sold it to me. Was hard for him to give it up.
You are right WR it has an awesome sound....I have not played any others that come close. Its' dynamic and deep rich tones blow me away. Again, a very lucky find.

That modern more progrssive piece was just a jam with myself. I Started a loop with a Roland SGE 1000 digital delay, playing the two notes on the bottom strings and locking them into the loop. Then I just played what I felt at the moment the rest of the tune. A couple of the melody lines were sort of pre worked out, but for the most part I wasn't sure exactly what I was going to do.
It will not be that long or even close to that long when it's recorded. It has been copyrighted with the basic obvious melody lines and loop concept. And will be on the new CD. There is no date yet for when the CD will be finished. But asap...It's a work in progress.
I have written some new material with the original eddie and the showmen sound in mind. So there will be a lot tunes sounding like I did in the 60s.

Great questions WR thank you,

Eddie

I sure hope I have not missed anyones questions that have been asked recently. If I missed any in the last week or so tell me.

Eddie

MrRebel
I sure hope I have not missed anyones questions that have been asked recently. If I missed any in the last week or so tell me.

Eddie, see my questions from this morning at the very top of this page (page 4).

Ivan

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I heard Glen Cambell play here in Atlanta with the Beach Boys, he was playing bass and could sing his buns off. Several years back, We (The X-Rays) were lucky enough to open for Mike Love and crew at the N'telos Pavillion in Virgina, The guys in the Beach Boys were pretty stoked that a "surf band" was opening up for them and they all treated us super. The bass player is their stage manager and showed up ahead of the other guys to OK the set-up, monitors and such and was kind enough to show us his "spare bass" which was the one Brian had used in the studio in the early days........wow!

This is a GREAT thread!!! eddie k

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 513 14 Next