Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
120 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink So I took the Buzz Stop off the Jaguar...

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

RumorsofsurF: I liked the Jaguar bridge too. In theory. But the grub screws were constantly needing attention as well. A few in particular seemed to want to spontaneously lower themselves.

Buy a new bridge, you have a lemon. It happens but I don't believe it is a rampant problem. I have three guitars with the stock bridge and I've never had that trouble, although I've seen it on an AVRI Jaguar.

SGF
Man at store: "Some rubber band and some vaseline please."

"It's for my Jaguar."

Laughing
If he thinks it's for a big cat instead of a car, he'll really look at you funny. Shocked

LHR
My choices were to file a slot on the back of the bridge or dispense with the Buzz Stop. So I took off the Buzz Stop.

Okay. I'm no rocket surgeon, but...
Looking at the pix on http://www.northcoastmusic.com/buzzstop/ it seems pretty symmetrical. Would it still work if you simply mounted it backwards? (ie the roller is closer to the tail) That would reduce the slope of the strings to something part way between the Buzz Stop installed normally and with no Buzz Stop at all.

Or would that interfere with the tremolo arm or the lock knob?

Also, reducing that angle would be partially defeating it's intended purpose, I guess.

I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.

I think if you reverse the Buzz Stop it will hit the trem arm. But you could raise it a bit higher with shim stock or washers between the BS (:D) and the trem plate.

I changed the bridge to my 65 jaguar to a mustang style bridge,not 4 the string movin,but 'couse the saddles springs lowered the bridge as you play.Then nail glue +attention---mustang bridge-problems gone!
cheers Bruno Wet-Tones Twisted Evil

I have had the buzzstop and TUSQ saddles on a beat up '63 jaguar. The guitar was rather dark, and I liked what they did to the tone and overall playability. My trem seemed to stay in tune better.

I have a 64 jazzmaster that was perfect, and I had my luthier put the TUSQ saddles and buzzstop anyway just to check it out. I'm still loving it! I think a high quality setup is the most important thing though.

brock
I think a high quality setup is the most important thing though...

I agree...when my Jazzmaster was returned from the luthier...man, it was absolutely smooth sounding, and played ike magic....same for my p-bass...
a trip to the luthier can really make all the difference in the world...

I love talking about jaguars!
I had a lot of string breakage with my buzz-stop / Jag setup, but I found the following tweaks helped tremendously.
- Graph-tech saddles (jacked up to help clearance)
- spacer washers under the Buzz-stop to reduce the tension (~1/4" higher seems about right for 11-50 strings)
- String lube at the bridge saddles
I also push some grease into the Buzz-stop where the roller bar spins in the bracket - this keeps it in tune after using the whammy.
best
Dano Clam

I also sold my three buzz-stops two years ago... For me they killed the sexy design of Jag or Jazz. And, yes, with a buzz-stop its like an other guitar. I didnt like the unnatural tension of the strings... And, yes, sometimes I couldnt use the trem arm in the way I liked ?cause of the buzz-stop. So you can call it buzz&trem-stop!? ![Smile](/media/smiley/images/smile.gif "Smile") I played old Jags and Jazzs with original bridge and it was perfect as it should be. Even every Jag or Jazz is a little different. Therefore this nice threads here will never end I guess. Smile
Twang cheers to everybody!
Ralf Kilauea

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

I read that seran wrap works great to keep the screws from moving, just take the screws out then trim of the tip of the screw so it's hidden, im not sure how many ply. BTW does anyone know how to install (or how it connects) a bridge cover on a stock MIJ lefty (looks symmetrical to a righty) jag?

BLeacH
I read that seran wrap works great to keep the screws from moving, just take the screws out then trim of the tip of the screw so it's hidden, im not sure how many ply.

While that might work, it sounds like a colossal pain in the butt. Some super glue gel (or Loc-Tite) to mess up the threads would do fine.

BLeacH
BTW does anyone know how to install (or how it connects) a bridge cover on a stock MIJ lefty (looks symmetrical to a righty) jag?

It snaps on and stays by way of a friction fit. However, you will not be able to palm mute with it in place! This is surf guitar you are playing, no?

SSIV

For saddle screw vibrational movement, a simple, cheap and effective fix is a couple coats of clear nail polish (allowed to dry each time) from the dollar store.

Still adjustable, yet with enough friction to hold them where you want them.

I also took the Buzz Stop off my Jazzmaster. Altered the tone drastically and messed with the normally great Trem action. Put on a mustang bridge but still not happy with that, any suggestions Question
www.myspace.com/thethunderheads

Thunderhead
I also took the Buzz Stop off my Jazzmaster. Altered the tone drastically and messed with the normally great Trem action. Put on a mustang bridge but still not happy with that, any suggestions Question

I read something about using American cups and bridge together, that is if you are upgrading a Japanese model. I can't remember where i heard it though.

It is an American '62 Reisssue in Sunburst. I added the Gold Guard to Replicate a '59. I always loved the Burst and Gold Combo! If I could just get this bridge issue squared away.

http://www.surfguitar101.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9622

'nuff said

www.myspace.com/sandyandthesurfsonics
www.surfsonics.com

Put the Buzz Stop back on! There's a reason they've sold thousands of them!

elreydlp

Because people can't set up their guitars.

I'll never use the Buzz Stop again. I put heat shrink around the original bridge post and now it's great. Once the stock bridge was stabilized it all came together for me. I use .011 DR's for Surf and Instro. and the original bridge w/ the long string length behind it is what I'm after in an Offset Guitar. No rattles, string jumps or other issues. Very Happy

Great topic!!! I have both a Jag and Jazzmaster.. I also have a Buzzstop however, I'm not using the buzzstop for many reasons! It take's the original sound of the guitars away! It really dosent work on a Jag because of the short scale.. Puts way to much un-natural tension on the Jazzmaster... I think if you are having problems with buzz change out the saddles and that should do it!

JakeDobner

elreydlp

Because people can't set up their guitars.

Excellent response, Jake!

FWIW, I concur 100%

Jags and Jazzmasters are VERY responsive to a good setup and it takes some time and effort to set one up properly and get the intonation spot on. I like the Eddie Katcher trick of adding a .75-1.0 mm neck shim and slightly raising the bridge to compensate. This increases the string tension over the bridge without affecting the tone like a buzz stop does and the action can still set as low as you like, if that is your thing. I seem to get a better sound with a slightly higher than usual action.

Also, slightly notching the bridge saddles (vintage or AVRI...the Japanese saddles are total crap) with a triangular jeweler's file keeps the strings in place just fine regardless of how heavy-handed a player you are. I much prefer the adjustability of the stock bridge over a Mustang, but a lot of you guys seem to like them. Different strokes, and all that.

Bottom line: Whatever works for you is cool...even though a buzzstop is, IMO, just a band-aid for a problem that can be easily solved in other (and less expensive) ways.

Stir the Pot Stir the Pot Stir the Pot

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next