Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Favorite surf guitar

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 229 30 31 32 3365 66 Next

I've played them all and I've owned them all, from Strats, Tele's and Mosrites to Jazzmaster's and Jags, and yes, you can get most guitars to sound 'surfy' in some measure with the right downstream gear, but for me, nothing comes close to the pure, unadulterated tone of a vintage or '62 AVRI Jag.

Yes, Dick Dale played a Strat, and yes, the Ventures used Jazzmasters, but it was the Jag that literally and single-handedly defined the best instrumental surf music of the 60s, and I know, 'cause I was there, front and center!

JakeDobner wrote:

Surfgitar
I saw The Dillengers live and guitarist Rick Rossano had about 5 different guitars on stage. He alternated between guitars depending on the song and the sound he wanted.

I own a bunch of guitars but play a Strat in the band for the "one guitar fits all" thang. But I'd love to reach a point where I use multiple guitars onstage. (Maybe when we get roadies... Laughing )

The problem with that is that there is too much dead time when switching guitars. I'm sure everyone's been in an audience or on stage when it takes too much time between songs. It's happened to us and it pisses me off.

I concur. My rule is that I only take guitars that are versatile enough to do our entire repertoire with me to gigs. I realize that I lose something in the process but I've never had anyone complain that the sound of my guitar was no appropriate for the music we played. My main axe right now is a Gretsch 6120 DC which Surfs like a son of a gun but also does Rock/Country/Blues quite well.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I finally finished reading all 31 pages of this thread and seem little worse for the wear. I found that discussion of Strat vs Offsets quite interesting. even though I've owned a couple of nice Strats I had never given them much thought for Surf. I always put them on the bridge pickup and pierced eardrums when a Surf tune came along. Counseling by Mel Waldorf has straightened me out a bit and just for the heck of it I decided to give a Strat another try.

No longer owning a Strat I had to try one at a store so I tried a '57 AVRI through a DRRI. On the middle pickup I got a very decent Surf sound, bright but not too bright and it had a nice balance, like a Jag on both pickups. The vintage trem did well, floating nicely. I doub't that I'll be selling a kidney to buy one but IMHO the Strat really does deliver.

Let me put it another way, I no longer have either my Jag of my Strat but there's a lot greater chance that I'd buy another Strat than another Jag.

There's no "right" or "wrong" answer to this particular debate, because every one of us has our own tastes when it comes to tone, but for what its worth, I'm exactly the opposite (from Synchro) in the sense that I'd own another Jag long before I'd own another Strat.

I have two Strats currently, an original vintage-white (now banana yellow) '62 that my Dad bought new in July of that year (probably worth a King's ransom), and a '56 Reissue (Time Machine), made new in 2003 that probably isn't worth $2K. Although one is maple and the other rosewood, both have absolutely 'stellar' tone. In fact, if blindfolded, one cannot tell them apart, audibly speaking.

However, their crisp, clean, vintage tone aside, they both lack the distinct "fatness" and chunky (primal sort of) bottom-end that my '62 AVRI Jag possesses. For lack of a better word, the Strat is just 'thinner'. To some, that single distinction doesn't matter much. To me, it matters plenty.

The best overall examples that I could offer-up as comparative tonal differences between these two sounds would be the following recordings, all of which are simply fantastic tunes in their own right, yet markedly different in tonality:

JAG: FAT-N-CHUNKY

1. Vintage: 'Goofy Foot' (The Lively Ones)
  2. Contemporary: 'Morpheus' (Satan's Pilgrims)
  3. Contemporary: 'Longboard Legato' (Slacktone)

STRAT: NICELY BRIGHT BUT ARGUABLY 'THIN'

1. Vintage: 'Miserlou' (Dick Dale)
  2. Contemporary: 'Graciella of the Dunes' (Miles Corbin)
  3. Contemporary: 'Return to Paia' (Aqua Velvets)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012 19:52:17

Paisley wrote:

Although I'm a big JM fan, I always used to prefer a Strat for Surf Instrumental stuff - until I found this kooky thing!...

It's a Teisco TG-64 from around early '65. Fairly cheap Jap job, but it really does it for me for Surf Music. Probably not the easiest thing to play (think of a baseball bat neck with about a thirty six foot radius!!), but the pickups are killer & it has one of the most stable vibrato arms I've ever encountered.

Everything you've said here is true. Those really microphonic pickups sound so ridiculous, but I just love them. I really want a Teisco Spectrum 5 (and not a Del Rey). I've got a MJ2 and a BS101, and they're great. They're really difficult to play, but totally worth the effort.

My surf-twanger is a Yamaha SGV-300 Yes

and then a few more Yamaha guitars.

I'm a Yamaholic !!
XS1100

SG3000S SG50 SG35 VG-STD NSX-2000Exart SX60 WEDDINGTON-CUSTOM WEDDINGTON-CLASSIC AES500 AES720 AES800B SGV300 SE912A SA503TVL SLG100S FZ1000 RBX4A2 RGX-A2-WHITE RGX-A2-BLACK RGX-A2-RED RGX520FZ RGX420S-D6 AEX500 AEX500N PAC311MS PAC303-12 GX1 BX1

THR10 THR10C THR-10X RA50 TA30 TA70 TA90 TA120 G50-2-112 DG100-212 DG-130 G100-1head G100-2head G-100IIIhead B100-1head

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012 16:23:34

I'm pretty happy with my new Jag.

Hi everyone I'm Daryl a new member and this is my first post. Its taken me a while to read through this thread and there is some great stuff. I am kind of a Fender bigot as you can tell be my screen name. I prefer my 62 all original sonic blue Jag for surf. But I love my American Special Strat also I will included pics as soon as I figure out how ( That's my Jag as my Avatar). I am hoping to make the SG101 convention in August. I grew up in So Cal in the sixties and early seventies and Surf music is my roots.      

Fender Bender wrote: Hi everyone I'm Daryl a new member and this is my first post.

Daryl,
Hello and welcome aboard. I am envious of anyone who owns an original 62 Jaguar. Sonic blue was my first love.

As for posting pictures. Brian gave some good instructions. They worked for me. You can find them in that thread.

http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/14960/

I hope you become comfortable here. I really enjoy this forum.

Talk to you later,
Norm

Hi I posted in the gear section that I bought a Dipinto Galaxie . This is my surf guitar. I owned a Sherwood Green Jaguar in 2001 and it was my favorite guitar of all time up to that point of my life after owning every guitar out there at one time but sadly I had unemployment running out and a sick dog that had to go to the vet and had to sell it. Thinking I would buy one again some day but of course the don't have them in that color anymore . I saw the Los Straitjackets play and heard that cool sound coming out of their Dipintos and had to have one . I popped DAddarios flat wounds .010 set on it and wall
the magic sound is there. SURF GUITAR! The funny thing is I also use it quite effectly in the bands I play in doing Rockabilly ,Country and all around fill in and jamming. This is one seriously cool fun guitar .It has a ton of sounds plays great and you can buy it at a price I used to pay for a guitar in the 60's . I am including a picture just for fun, no I don't wear this all the time but I had to get one for fun. My wife thinks I'm nuts . If you see them you will get the urge also!image

Is Jimmy Page surfin?

Or is he just a sometime strat brutha?

He who dies with the most tubes... wins

Surf Daddies

No, Jimmy Page is not surfing at all; he is clearly making a rock guitar face in that photo. Surf guitarists make this kind of face:

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

rickvox wrote:

Hi I posted in the gear section that I bought a Dipinto Galaxie . This is my surf guitar. I owned a Sherwood Green Jaguar in 2001 and it was my favorite guitar of all time up to that point of my life after owning every guitar out there at one time but sadly I had unemployment running out and a sick dog that had to go to the vet and had to sell it. Thinking I would buy one again some day but of course the don't have them in that color anymore . I saw the Los Straitjackets play and heard that cool sound coming out of their Dipintos and had to have one . I popped DAddarios flat wounds .010 set on it and wall
the magic sound is there. SURF GUITAR! The funny thing is I also use it quite effectly in the bands I play in doing Rockabilly ,Country and all around fill in and jamming. This is one seriously cool fun guitar .It has a ton of sounds plays great and you can buy it at a price I used to pay for a guitar in the 60's . I am including a picture just for fun, no I don't wear this all the time but I had to get one for fun. My wife thinks I'm nuts . If you see them you will get the urge also!image

Nice guitar but you should really see a doctor about that bright red eczema and the dark circles around your eyes. Smile

I was skeptical about the Dipinto at first, but I can tell you, from firsthand knowledge, that Rickvox is able to coax convincing Country and Rockabilly sounds from that guitar, in addition to some spanking surftones. All done sans wrestling mask.

The Exotics 1994-Current
The Chickenshack - www.wmse.org
www.thedoghouseflowers.com
www.uptownsavages.com

jp wrote:

I was skeptical about the Dipinto at first, but I can tell you, from firsthand knowledge, that Rickvox is able to coax convincing Country and Rockabilly sounds from that guitar, in addition to some spanking surftones. All done sans wrestling mask.

I've long been of the opinion that a good Surf axe will be good for Country or Rockabilly. I remember playing some very Tele sounding licks on my Jaguar and I believe that Don Rich used a Jag in the Buckaroos. Conversely, I use Gretsch guitars for Surf all the time.

I can vouch for the DiPinto... I owned one for several years and now regret selling it. Excellent guitars!

imageimage

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012 12:14:22

Oh goodness.. I have to mke my way thru this whole thread. Finally i have input..

I've been playing over 35 years, i've been lucky to have a few nice guitars and hang on to them. All different kinds lending to different styles. I'll stick strictly on the surf though.

I associate surf with jazzmasters and jaguars. perhaps it was the surf movies, some of the photos and album covers i'd see. Matching Fenders. Certainly on a performance level i am not that narrow minded. anything goes as far as i'm concerned..i'm all for it.

i bought a new (and still have) a Squier Stratocaster wy back in 1983.. in black. Not very surfy in appearance. I still associate it with Ritchie Blackmore, et al..

So when i played surf, i'd pull out my SF Vibro Champ and plug in my 93 Duosonic reissue. Nice bright red color. the sparkly single coils, just great for plinking around, though missing vibrato... but it sufficed for years.

Enter all the excitement of the Squier Jaguar, Jazzmaster, Mustang... I prepped buy selling off a few things i didnt need. Followed all the forums, etc. Finally, a surf guitar i've always wanted.

I picked a white jag with tort. visually, my pinnacle of a surf guitar. The Beach Boys, chrome, flash, hotrods... Sonically, i wanted all the options for sound. In a live band setting, i don't know if all the sounds are completely useable for today's music.. my band i early punk/hard rock so prolly not.. But playing other stuff, yes. i like all those options.

I think the only time i ever played a jaguar was last summer at a store. just a couple minutes, not plugged in. One of the reissues with a mute. I was really apprehensive because the lsat guitar i bought and have the strongest connection too (beating out even the vintage) is a 201? Epiphone G-400 (stop rolling your eyes!). So would my jaguar merely be beautiful piece of playable art?

I went ahead and special ordered the guitar from Guitar Center before they were in stores or online (july 5) and it arrived on friday the 13th. It was cool to be the one to cut open the box and feast my eyes...Needless to say, i haven't been disappointed. I still have the stock strings, i don't want to take it down for a moment. I've been running it thru the same small Vibro Champ -too busy playing to pull out the other amps.

to finalize the setup, i added the BOSS/Fender 63 reverb pedal (happily purchased from this forum's Jordan... he's a good guy!) and the simple setup -reverb and trem... haven't stopped playing.

there you have it!

I like the teisco with the fenderesque body. The pickups with the square poles and the vintage tremolo are both great atributes for surf rock. Teiscos are so cheesy and cheap but they are some of the greatest guitars ever made! They just feel right.

Buzzard wrote:

My surf-twanger is a Yamaha SGV-300 Yes

My SGV-300 just got a little warped. The high E isn't really in tune with the rest. I have to get that fixed soon because I just can't live without it.

Goto Page: Previous 1 229 30 31 32 3365 66 Next