Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Fender Twin Reverb '72

Page 1 of 1

Hi all - I just got my hands on a Fender Twin Reverb '72 in excellent shape. It appears that the plug was converted to a 3-pronged plug and my question is about the ground switch. It's a 3-way toggle and seems to make a audible hum and cuts the volume way down when in the left or right position. The sound/volume is perfect when in the middle position. What's the reason behind this?

The Men in Gray Suits (Montreal, Canada)
Facebook: The Men in Gray Suits
Instagram: The Men in Gray Suits

jimbones wrote:

Hi all - I just got my hands on a Fender Twin Reverb '72 in excellent shape. It appears that the plug was converted to a 3-pronged plug and my question is about the ground switch. It's a 3-way toggle and seems to make a audible hum and cuts the volume way down when in the left or right position. The sound/volume is perfect when in the middle position. What's the reason behind this?

If the update was done to install a properly grounded 3-prong plug then there is no need for the ground-path changing toggle, which was to overcome old plug polarity issues - something that is not an issue with a 3-prong when going into a properly functioning outlet.

Leave the switch in the middle, forget it's there and surf on.
Smile

Caveat: Notice my liberal use of the word 'properly' - I know roadhouses in this neck of the woods that are still wired to kill you if you don't carry a multimeter...

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

YES! That's what I'm doing... "set and forget". Smile I was just curious as to what it was about that switch that made the amp cut in volume and produce that nasty hum.... Confused

The Men in Gray Suits (Montreal, Canada)
Facebook: The Men in Gray Suits
Instagram: The Men in Gray Suits

I'm not an expert but I think whoever changed your plug to 3 prong should have also taken that toggle switch out of the circuit. As Wes mentioned, this is only useful for 2 prong plugs.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian wrote:

I'm not an expert but I think whoever changed your plug to 3 prong should have also taken that toggle switch out of the circuit. As Wes mentioned, this is only useful for 2 prong plugs.

Yep, my tech would've made that switch into ornamentation.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Page 1 of 1