Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink have we become surf prostitutes?

Page 1 of 1

Tonight we played surf in a church, for a lot of cotton tops. I hope that's ok. it was pass the hat. Didn't do too badly. got a standing ovation at the end. Lots of Hawaiian shirts (including us). the things you have to do to keep gigging to play in the midwest. we do acoustic gigs with hand drums. occasional electric gig. dinner music. they don't know what to make of us. Actually we don't either. Just sayin', and checkin' in. Hello everyone! Happy 4th!

How's your digestion now?

Prostitute is the wrong word, for sure.

Was it it the most 'artistic' gig? No. Did you have fun? Did the band get better? Will the audience come back?

Last summer for us, we took gigs we swore we'd never take for money. We did one for a Rum launch at a local bar/restaurant and then they booked us to do more and more. Paid for our entire vinyl pressing and then some. It also got us actually playing, rehearsing the catalog, and made some fans that followed up around those gigs. I would rather not play multiple set gigs, as background music, at a polite(ish) volume. But... that isn't how it works always. 99% of our gigs have been club gigs, but we generally aren't going to turn down a grand.

JakeDobner wrote:

I would rather not play multiple set gigs, as background music, at a polite(ish) volume. But... that isn't how it works always.

This is so true

He who dies with the most tubes... wins

Surf Daddies

Page 1 of 1