Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Vintage vs New

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

JakeDobner wrote:

That sucks...

They covered my buddy's '49 Zephyr Regent that had some serious pickups/neck issues. $900 in repair work later... Guitar Center didn't do the work, they did it themselves/had one of their guys do it and invoiced them.

I wonder if that Epi was mine? I sold one of those to GC about 3 years ago. Did it have gold Guild HB pups?

SurfBeat wrote:

Having cut one of the first "surf" records back in March 1962 (several months before DD's Miserlou) with my 61 Strat, 61 Showman and 61 Reverb, and tinkering with the idea baci in 1995 of replacing my Showman for one of Zinky's Tonemasters, and pickign up a 82 Japanese Strat along the way, this I can say from experience.

The Fender Tonemaster was quickly sold and the 82 Jap Strat is still used along with my 61 Strat.

Fender may make good Strats that equal the tone I get out of my 61, but as far as any Fender amps are concerned made post 1979, they are best used for boat anchors.

The worst SF amp sounds legions better than anything Fender has made since the early 80's.

Just as opinion from someone who grew up dumpster diving at Fender in Fullerton in the early 60's and and has been playing surf longer than most.

Agreed on the 70's SF amps. Perhaps it's just an urban myth...
Now we can get our Blackfaced amps to be Silverfaced again.

EJ wrote:

I wonder if that Epi was mine? I sold one of those to GC about 3 years ago. Did it have gold Guild HB pups?

It is this one: image

I seem to buy old amps and new guitars.

I think the 'vintage' (aka used or second hand) mojo came about because Fender guitars were so bad for so long, so you had to buy an old one to get a good one. There are plenty of vintage dogs out there though, hopefully safely locked away in someone's collection rather than actually being played. Don't forget, there are a lot of people with a lot of money at stake if the value of these instruments fell. It's in everyone's best interests to play along with it.
When young boys grow to become rich men, they can suddenly afford the stuff that was denied them in their youth. Add in the extra spice of the stuff actually going up in value over a short time and we end up where we are now: A used production manufactured instrument worth more than a new one.
There may be some merit in the theory that a good instrument is looked after, and over time will remain cherished and survive the ravages of time; whereas a crap one will end up unloved and parted out, or trashed.

Jake's point about the rarity of guitars that are not being made anymore is a good one - these guitars should be worth a lot more than something like a Strat that you can still buy new.

I think the new guitars you can buy now are unbelievable value for money compared to what was available 25 years ago. Amps, I'm not so sure, but they sure are cheap.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

If u find a good vintage one, you are there !

If I get to play a non-vintage one, which can keep up with my old Jag/JM, I will change my opinion.

JakeDobner wrote:

EJ wrote:

It is this one: image
Nope not it, but very close. Mine was a tobacco burst. Very figured wood. I wish I'd kept it. Playing it was like wrestling a hog though. I did see that it was bought from GC and changed dealer hands a time or two. someone did a you tube vid on it even. They were in Maryland. Before I sold her I talked with a Epi dealer in Seattle to get an estimated value. I wouldn't have been surprised if it made it's way back up to your neck of the woods. That guitar was a traveler. I got from a guy who got it from a known blues player in Cinicinnati back in the old Kings record days. I really wish I'd kept it now come to think about it... Thanks for sharing the pic Jake.

surfing-matze wrote:

If u find a good vintage one, you are there !

If I get to play a non-vintage one, which can keep up with my old Jag/JM, I will change my opinion.

There are some real winners out there. My buddy has a played to death Thin Skin from 2008 that is a pure pleasure. Has replaced pickups, has been re-radiused to 7.25, vintage trem, and has a new guard but beyond that the neck is nice and worn in and it is all honest to goodness playing wear.

I've got a 2000 AVRI Jag that I just cannot replace. And a new one with vintage neck that is incredible. New Jags versus vintage Jags don't have a huge gap to me. Jazzmasters, I much prefer vintage models but there are some new winners.

It's odd to me that I have different opinions on new vs. vintage on my two favorite guitar models.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2