Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
118 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Quote of the Day

Page 1 of 1

"Yeah, in hand-to-hand combat, you definitely want a Strat or Tele." Pat Travers, Vintage Guitar Magazine, June 2015, Page 91.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

I would say that splinters from a broken Les-Paul neck would be far more dangerous. If you have a stick, might as well make it pointy. B.C. Rich, Jackson, Flying V, and my favorite weapon: Steinberger bass - just a great balance for Shao-Lin forms.

But I guess the author is right in his metaphor, if meant to compliment the durability and modularity of Fenders.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015 12:10:50

Is he implying if he hits you it's "Boom Boom, Out go the lights".

Nevermind

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015 14:26:00

JONPAUL wrote:

--several anonymous members of SG101

Maybe those anonymous members could set the example by writing something about musical content, etc. themselves. I doubt anybody's preventing them from doing so, and I'm confident their contributions would be warmly welcomed. But you know, it's a lot easier to bitch while scratching one's behind than to actually do something....

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

As a sloppy ass punk still trying to learn how to play this music, I would love to see more on how to play and write surf music. I originally came to the site looking for gear stuff and in the process discovered tons of wonderful music.
Yes, the gear talk can be redundant. But I think it's what brings most to the site in the first place.
Thanks to the people here and their help. I'm in a pretty happy place with my gear. Any help learning to play and write would be greatly appreciated.

JONPAUL wrote:

"WTF is wrong with SG101? All anyone talks about is gear, gear and gear. Doesn't anyone care about the actual musical content or technique or theory anymore? I'm considering quitting the forum."

--several anonymous members of SG101

Perhaps this should be in a thread on its own. Just IMO.

I will unmask myself and admit to being one of the anonymous folks that JP is quoting. I text and chat and speak with quite a few members of this community, and I know for certain that I am not the only one feeling the above sentiment. In fact, I am merely one of many. But I feel that its time to speak up.

I dont wish to single out Noel, which is why I think that this should be in another thread, but I feel that the forum content in general has taken a noticeable dip in quality and an even more noticeable dip in relevance.

There are literally thousands of guitar gear enthusiast forums and facebook groups out there today where every pedal and every reverb pan and every pickup can be discussed ad nauseam. But there is only one central place where we can come together to discuss our beloved genre of Surf! Certainly gear is a part of the genre. In fact, it is a necessary part if a musician wishes to achieve that sound we love so much. But there are other elements that warrant further discussion and are much more relevant to the genre as a whole.

How many other music sites are out there that have ORIGINAL musicians as users contributing? Paul Johnson has posted here! Eddie Bertrand (RIP) was an active member! John Blair is an active member! Insect Dave is an active member! We also have third wave maestros like Ivan and Slacktone Dave and Norm, not to mention all of the current and recent bands from literally ALL OVER THE WORLD posting and interacting on this forum. What other music genre site can claim such a fantastic and precious resource? But we squander such a resource when so much of the time is talking about gear.

This genre is so incredibly rich in history! Even in recent history, we've had MONUMENTAL albums released! The MUSIC is alive and continuing to thrive despite the state of the modern Rock & Roll music industry and decline of music sales and live-music attendance in general. And new compilations of the classics still come out, cutting deeper and deeper into the rarities and obscure songs that are exciting to discover all of these decades later.

We have international conventions and festivals and weekend long shows, and we have the gentlemen that put them together right here in these forums that we can interact with and provide direct feedback to! We have current local and global radio show DJs, published historians, documentary film producers, genre defining and revival generating ORIGINAL MEMBER musicians, record company reps/execs, modern and active bands posting live show information and even studio diary/blog threads and album release info! We have all this to interact with and learn from!! And yes, we even have gear vendors that we can purchase directly from. Not to mention the many talented amateurs and up and coming musicians with new content and new ideas to generate new music and excitement for the genre!! We have all of these precious resources, and yet we have threads about pan comparisons and and pedal questions and individual gear purchases. It blows my mind!

Ivan is right. It is easier to bitch about it than to generate the quality content you find lacking. But Jonpaul isn't some amateur enthusiast that is monday morning quarterbacking and deliberately trying to rain on people's parades. There are few in the world who do more for the genre than him. He is in A TON of bands, plays countless live shows, puts together music for MULTIPLE radio shows EVERY WEEK, is currently assembling information for and writing a discography for the revival releases, and assists Jeff in countless ways in putting together the SG101 convention. He dedicates his life to Surf, so if anyone is in a position to bitch, its him!!! Perhaps thats why he is also a sounding board for many in the community who feel let down by the current state of things.

This is just my two cents. Feel free to throw the two pennies back at me as hard as you can. Perhaps I deserve it. But I will not unsay anything.

Again, this thread isn't aimed at Noel, although I think he might benefit from the understanding that enthusiasm and energy aren't always reason enough to post something (a lesson Preston only learned after being yelled at a lot, haha). But that is just my opinion. No offense is intended as I'm sure he's a great guy with his heart in the right place.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015 15:04:57

No offense taken, Josh, or Jonpaul. You are correct about my enthusiasm, for the people here, and the music everyone makes. On an average day, it is boundless. But my excitement leaped up to a level over that amp that I hadn't experienced in over 30 years. I did think some folks here might enjoy sharing the event. It is very special to me and something not likely to ever be repeated.

That said, I'd love more discussions about surf music. I write as many music reviews as I can. Some generate a discussion. Others don't. I wonder if there is a fear of controversy keeping people from just talking about the music we all so clearly love? Sometimes, I don't jump in, for I don't think I can add to what's already been said. I'm not usually at a loss for words, so if I feel that way, might others as well?

I don't know. I accepted an offer to write reviews, and I've since written an average of about one a month, and more than a few band interviews. I'd like to see a few other people take the plunge. So...

Come on in! The surf is fine.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015 15:35:22

... and while I originally thought a place to put interesting quotes about and by musicians and music would be light-hearted and entertaining, I'm more than happy to change this topic to "Let's Discuss Discussing Music" or something. Or someone can create one.

josheboy wrote:

Ivan is right. It is easier to bitch about it than to generate the quality content you find lacking. But Jonpaul isn't some amateur enthusiast that is monday morning quarterbacking and deliberately trying to rain on people's parades. There are few in the world who do more for the genre than him. He is in A TON of bands, plays countless live shows, puts together music for MULTIPLE radio shows EVERY WEEK, is currently assembling information for and writing a discography for the revival releases, and assists Jeff in countless ways in putting together the SG101 convention. He dedicates his life to Surf, so if anyone is in a position to bitch, its him!!!

Josh, read my comment - clearly not aimed at him. Aimed at the 'anonymous' folks.

Perhaps thats why he is also a sounding board for many in the community who feel let down by the current state of things.

I've been part of SG101 from the very first day it started, way before this current form of the forum. I've heard these complaints so many times.... It's always the same problem. And I agree with the problem, BTW. But the ONLY solution is for the people complaining about the problem to post more quality content. Lead by example! There is no other solution. Block out the noise, which is going to exist on any internet forum, simply unavoidable, and then write something that that will contribute to our enjoyment and knowledge of the music. I've done a shitload of it, and frankly I'm a bit tired and more than a bit jaded by now - and also just too busy right now. And also to be brutally honest, I'm really not hearing very much that I'm really digging that much recently. I write about the stuff that I do, but it's time to see some others step up. This forum is entirely what each one of us makes it. If you want to only 'consume', and you find there's no longer much to consume, well, then too bad, see you around, it's been nice having you pass through here. But if you actually care about this forum, then do it yourself. it's really that simple. No magic to it.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Hmm. Boy was that thread title a tease.

I'm still in the stage of getting over the "getting-over-myself" stage so as to suck it up & upload an original song I wrote. It's mine (although maybe somewhere I don't understand it's an amalgam of things I'm not aware of). It had a simple memory as inspiration. And it took several weeks; this writing shit is hard for someone whose brain hemispheres don't seem to do that well. So at some point I'll put that teency-tiny 1 minute 45 seconds of my life "out there." It's mine, but I owe many here for even undertaking it in the first place. So thank you for that.

Now please proceed to the periodic minor implosion that most internet fora undergo from time to time, yet manage to survive, and have a very surf day.
Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Yeah... I'm just going to build a moat with the clipped remnants of strings. Good luck getting into my castle.

josheboy wrote:

but I feel that the forum content in general has taken a noticeable dip in quality and an even more noticeable dip in relevance.

Yes, and I blame a decline in traffic and regular posting from a handful of users that once posted all of the time. Blame is a strong word, as no one should be obligated to post here.

The issue isn't even gear talk, it seems most of my posts are just answering questions about gear. Not even talking about gear, just answering questions of which my the standard answer is "it is really personal preference".

Music is a very personal thing, gear isn't. It is almost rude to be anything but passionate about music. "Yeah, that release was just okay. I wish they had fixed this, not done that, ditched the sax". You just can't say things like that. So music threads die out quickly here because it is hard for a tight knit community to do anything but be "rah, rah!".

Surf music, is like any other genre I like. And that is, there is a lot of amazing music but there is also some stuff I just do not care for. I've only ever expressed displeasure for one surf band on these forums because that album was so bad...(they don't post here).

The shortest threads I start are about music. I've done recollections about Tsar Wars, Cosmonauti, and It's Go Time recently and the thread is strong for a day and then... good night.

Time to go..

Enjoying the surf,sun and sand!!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015 13:06:52

Page 1 of 1