Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Finally Found My Perfect Tone

Page 1 of 1

Ever since I returned to my surf and pre-surf roots after years focusing on blues and blues rock I've been looking for that perfect tone. -The one I hear in my head, influenced no doubt by memories of hours listening to and playing this music.

I started this "rerun" phase of my playing with a Classic Series `50s Strat. Nah, that wasn't it. Then a VM Jaguar. Closer but not quite. Then a VM Jazzmaster and that got me pretty darn close -- close enough to know that the JM was my instrument. The rest of what I was looking for I expected to find down stream via reverb, pedals and (of course) the amp.

I won't go through the many, many this and thats that I tried, but in the end I realized that for me the underlying issue was that both the VM JM's original Duncan Designed PUPS and the Rose Koronas -- as good as both sets were -- each shared what to me was an essential "flaw" -- one they seemed to share with many sets out there today. The bridge PUPS on both sets were over wound. Something desirable, it seems, for many players -- especially, it seems, younger ones -- but not for me. So I took the two PUP sets and built a combination based on using both their neck PUPS.

The Rose remained where it was, but instead of the Rose or DD bridge PUP I substituted the DD neck PUP in the bridge position.

Took a bit of work, but not a lot. The VM's PUPS come attched to their cases -- with a bead of plastic sealant along the long sides and wax between the bobbin and the case such as is often used on an HB with a metal casing, Why I know not. (There it is to combat microsonics -- not an issue with the JM's plastic case)

In any case with those seals broken the coils and covers become interchangeable.

Now to the sound... YES!!! Exactly what I was looking for! No need to roll off the volume knob. It is all just "there" -- from Bob Bogle's Walk Don't Run sound to a full and bright, reverb-filled, `60s surf sound. Wonderful drip. Clean attack. Whatever is needed just by a flick of the PUP selector or small changes in the amp and/or signal chain.

No, of course I can't say it'd be right for others, but if its a classic Jazzmaster sound you are looking for and have found it elusive, by all means gives this a try.

-don

Still rockin' after all these years!

Last edited: Apr 01, 2015 18:04:15

This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing your journey.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Page 1 of 1