Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
248 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
248 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
168 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
115 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
108 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
69 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Instro vs Vocal

Page 1 of 1

We are a band that has been rehearsing and writing over the past few months, during which time I stalked and went in for the kill on the topic of being "a surf band." Now as it seems people on this forum know, that can mean a lot of different things. I'm not too concerned with fitting into a neat category, but I do know it helps to have a consistent product for your show.

Specifically, I'm wondering what you think of mixing instrumental and vocal surf and "surf sounding" rock with some vocals (reverb-drenched, catchy 60's rock influenced). My fear is that the people who like vocals will feel like many of our songs seem "unfinished" without them, and traditionalists might find the vocals to be an unwelcome addition to the other songs.

Does anyone else out there successfully mix both? What ratio of vox/instro do you use? Does it affect how you market yourself? When demonstrating for music for a person or venue would you give a vocal or demo song?

Thanks for your feedback!

Ghost Coast

Personally, I don't think a mix would do it for me in a live setting. This is if we are talking about Beach Boys style surf. I'm a huge fan of the Beach Boys and a huge fan of instro surf, but I don't feel I'd be interested in having them mix. I think other style of vocals would mix well with instro surf.

I'd also look at it from a standpoint of the vocals and instros complimenting each other, the instro songs specifically written to pair with or fit in with the vocals. Or vocal songs with strong instro sections.

If you try to do Beach Boys and surf, you are doing two different things. But I don't feel you are trying to do two different things if you have vocals songs and instrumental songs... if that makes sense.

You have to be true to yourself as a songwriter and a band.

I am in a group that plays original instro surf, covers of First Wave instro surf bands, pre-surf instro (Link Wray), and original and covers of 'vocal surf' and Hot Rod Rock 'n' Roll.
Some instrumental tunes do sound a bit sparse but this is where the lead guitar needs to be very expressive and treat those lead melodies like they are vocals...phrasing, nuances, little dips and wiggles of the vibrato arm, staccato, etc. and if something is repetitive, try to vary the inflections a bit. IMHO, if this is taken to heart and is part of the presentation, the audience will be more open to hearing instro songs.

Vocal songs will tend to connect with more people because they can sing along, etc.

I think that audiences can detect when the group is into the material, so let that be a guide.

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

We are about to ad two or three Cramps-style vocals to our set. We're playing a lot of two set shows the next couple of months and it is really hard to keep the audience attention with only instrumentals. A couple of vocals can 'break' the set and ads more variety. And the you can play more with audience participation / singalong.

www.alohasluts.com
Aloha Sluts on BandCamp
www.arnyzona.com (my photography)
Aloha Fest on facebook

When we started out we tried doing a few vocal tunes. Trouble is, none of us are particularly good singers. We could have got a singer, but then what does the singer do during the instrumental songs? The chances are you will change from a surf band that does a few vocals, to a band that does a few surf songs. That was my concern, so we made a decision after a few gigs to be a surf band and only play instrumentals.

This was a complete novelty and really made us distinctive. We had to deal with the question of 'why don't you get a singer?' but that seemed to disappear when we got a decent drummer. A friend once commented that with our first drummer we sounded like a band without a singer, when he was replaced we started to sound like an instrumental band. So I would say that every member has to contribute a lot more to make it sound like a band.
Being an instrumental band has positives and negatives. The positives are, you are distinctive and unique. This will bring your own distinctive and unique fans. You will be complimented on your musical ability and sound, which is unlikely to happen if you sing. You'll be judged on your singer. You have a lot more freedom and creativity. You can even still do vocal songs, just instrumental versions. The audience will respond if they recognise the song whether it has a singer or not. You dress, act and play as you want - you'll be different to everyone else, so there are no formulas to adhere to about how you have to act, look or sound.

The negatives are that you will get less gigs. There are gigs that will not be available to you as you do not sing, do not sing covers and venues want live jukebox bands. But you will be getting gigs in more interesting places. We've played burlesque nights, beach events, community festivals, even a surf shop opening. Don't forget, surf music is the ultimate in family friendly music - there's no offensive lyrics, the music is simple and lively - kids really respond to it. It's also real easy to set up and play, which we've used as a real selling point.

I'm lucky as my bass player is into it, and is as passionate about instrumental music as I am. The drummer? Well, they find it hard without vocal cues, but the smart ones will realise they can be more creative and will get noticed. So you have to have all member on board the surf music trip. If they're not, then maybe you want to consider a surf band as a side project and find musicians that appreciate what you're doing.

There are jukebox bar bands by the dozen, but a surf band is something unique and you should be proud to play your music, rather than apologetic that no one is singing. If the band we could hear singing last night at band practice are anything to go by, a lot more bands should be instrumental!

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

Thanks for all the great responses. I should clarify that in addition to our trad-influenced (but not quite trad) surf sounds, the vocal stuff we're working on would be in the vein of early garage rather than "surf pop" like Beach Boys.

Guitar melody phrasing is a great tip and one I always try to work hard on. It's a lot of pressure as a guitar player but it's what makes surf so interesting IMO.

I'll try to keep everyone posted with our progress! Happy to be a part of this community.

da-ron, you make great points about instro music. It's not an apples to apples comparison to other types of bands, which is part of its appeal. We also are a band without a singer and not too keen to look for one to change things. But we do like some backing "instrumental vocals," if that makes sense. It's not the focus of the song, maybe just a couple measures here and there. Very light on lyrics, lots of harmonies.

Ghost Coast

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015 11:22:32

I don't see a problem mixing it up. That approach is not really what I am into but several years back I heard a great "California" beach band performing at a Huntington Beach Surfin' Sunday show and I enjoyed the crap out of it. Chad and his buds do a great job of that style of music as well.

For me it is instro but it's all good.

Best of luck.

eddie k

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

We added a singer late last year, but we made sure that it was (almost) a totally different project, still same name for now. Started out as spy rock with lots of James Bond and other spy tunes with instros thrown in - "A Shot in the Dark," "Peter Gunn", etc. She plays tambourine, maracas, or shakers during the instrumentals. Now we've expanded to more of a 60's garage rock thing and we figure we can always open for ourselves as the surf trio!

The SpeNerds
Alaska's Premier Instrumental Surf Trio!

I like the mix with garage. Do what your band does!

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

As a new band looking for more shows, we're finding too that vocals=gigs. We're trying to add in songs about cars and summer little by little and luckily we can actually sing a bit. There are lots of places to play in a tourist destination, but you have to play something people know or bars won't have you back. We've reached a happy medium and of course it's all about having fun anyway! Good luck!

www.CoastalTwisters.com
Coastal Twisters YouTube Channel
Coastal Twisters on Facebook
Coastal Twisters on Reverbnation

I currently play in a couple of bands - 1st is all instrumental but not all or even mostly surf. We're styled loosely after the Ventures and we cover mostly pop/rock songs of the 60's + the surf standards and a few originals. Although we don't play as much as we like we do play fairly regularly. 2nd band is led by our substitute drummer who is a better than average vocalist. Mostly 50's rockabilly with some pop thrown in. But, we also put in an instrumental every 4th song or so and the audience seems to like the instrumentals fine. It also gives the singer a break. So, in my experience you can definitely mix instrumentals with vocal.

I think where you're based may also have an influence. Where I live there are a glut of metal bands playing to each other and covers bands. Traditionally R&B was always popular here, but that crowd is getting older. The newer generation expect songs they know and they expect it for free.

We decided to be a surf to be different and stand out. I get complimented on having a fantastic guitar tone, not because it's fantastic, but because it's clean and reverby (and the dominant instrument).

If we're trying to get gigs, I would tell the promoter what you play and what they need to expect. Promising a promoter an all vocal set and then playing a 50% instrumental set may look like you're only putting half the work!

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

Part of the whole vocal vs. instro thing is how this ties into the band's identity.
One thing that can be considered is how the band presents itself. Some surf bands go for a certain 'look' or at least a similarity in their appearances; really, there are no rules with this...some bands perform wearing suits and Mexican wrestling masks whereas some perform in very casual attire.

What I am driving at here is that if a band is not sure how to present itself or is unsure of how they will be perceived by an audience, I would suggest having a band discussion to see if having some degree of a uniform would be beneficial. If everyone wore aloha shirts, or bowling shirts, even going to the crazy degree of wearing masks and uniforms (oh my!!) it is all about how it serves the intent of the band. Some bands are very successful at what they do and they do not have a uniform per se, whereas others do. Something to throw out there...the concept of "identity" is in the eyes of the beholder.

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

Page 1 of 1