Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink NGD 60's Jaguar Lacquer

Page 1 of 1

ok, the guitar came in over a week ago. It was unplayable on most of the neck. I asked the shop to give it a set up and i'd try it again. one set up later it was much better, but the action was still a bit too low and robbing some tone. so i put on some nice new strings and raised the action a bit. much better!

So now I'm finally able to play it. The first thing is noticed is how strange the neck feels with the shorter scale length.

The tone is the best part! it's so round compared to other Fender guitars. i love the '65 RI pups. but it's also got this bite, growl to it. yet super soft and pretty chords ring out.

Other then the set up, the rest of the guitar is great. no gap in the neck pocket, strings aligned perfectly on the fret board. the finish is really good looking! love the fiesta red. the neck does feel good overall, just still get used to the scale length.

need more time to play it, but so far so good!

Congrats and welcome to the fiesta!

Congratulations on the new Jag! A good setup can make a world of difference. Post pics when you get a chance.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Congratulations! They look very tempting.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Pics or it never happened. Wink

DGG wrote:

Pics or it never happened. Wink

+1

The Hicadoolas

Congratulations! Glad you & and it came together. Setup on a Jag/JM = something you just gotta do. As nice as the Ensenada neck is that I put on my JM these Classic 60's Jags are really tempting at that price. (Wish they would do some different colors than the 2 reds.)

But AV pickups too, nice score! Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

i'll try to get some pics up tonight...

well the bonding has begun! the more i play it the more i like it. The tone is just out of this world. It has all those amazing tones i've been chasing for so long. it really has a great balance between high and low notes and chords. the neck is starting to feel more natural, the string height was really making it feel weird to me. but that's sorted out now.

i'm using a mustang 1 amp with Soul Food, El Capistan and Topanga reverb... and it records so well with USB into (in my case) Garage Band.

really digging the fiesta red... i love the Jazzmaster counterpart with the Sonic Blue... love that color. but i gotta say, the red is really growing on me!

pics coming!

ParkRowe wrote:

i'm using a mustang 1 amp with Soul Food, El Capistan and Topanga reverb... and it records so well with USB into (in my case) Garage Band.

How you likin' the Soul Food?

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

i really like the soul food a lot. it's a great sounding over drive. a really nice range from super light gain adds some beef, and it can get nasty too!

Gracias. Smile

Wes

the pics i took are pretty bad.... i'll have to try that again tonight

it's the first Jaguar i've ever played... i'm still really floored with the tone. This is what i've been looking for... for a long time!

All these years listening to the Ventures and so on, i knew that was the sound i wanted make with a guitar. started off with a strat. close but that wasn't it. (although don't get me wrong, strats are amazing guitars, just doesn't have "that" sound i wanted). got a black top jazzmaster.... ok i started to hear something a lot closer to what i was looking for. hated the bucker in the bridge so i sold that and got a Di Pinto G4. I love that guitar... truely has it's own thing going on. but still didn't quite have everything i was looking for. a year later i got a Jazzmaster TVL. that couple be one of the best guitars i've ever played had lots of what i was looking for... and i love the bound neck with the blocks. great tone and plays amazing. then..... Enter the Jaguar! when these new MIM Jags came out i had to try one. got my hands on one and there it was... it was that tone i was chasing for so long! it's all in there.

The other night i played Witchita Linemen (Johnny A version) and the chords were just beautiful.. full and round. the single note lines were balanced and clear. man that put a smile on my face!

now i just got to get that tiny little buzz sound out of a couple of notes and it'll be tone heaven! it actually comes and goes. sometimes i hear it and sometime i don't.

Jag's do have that sound, don't they?

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Thx for the pics! Congrats! Vintage tone without the vintage price-tag! Nice!

Last edited: Apr 01, 2015 16:36:42

There is a local guitar shop in my area that has this exact guitar in excellent condition for $749. If my wife/finances would have allowed it, I would have snatched it up immediately! ParkRowe, can you post some more pics with better lighting? That color is starting to grow on me! Big Grin

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

ParkRowe wrote:

it's the first Jaguar i've ever played... i'm still really floored with the tone. This is what i've been looking for... for a long time!

All these years listening to the Ventures and so on, i knew that was the sound i wanted make with a guitar. started off with a strat. close but that wasn't it.

Exactly my story (swap the Ventures part for the Beach Boys). Less detours, though, a music video pointed me to the Jag, I googled and expected to find only vintage for thousends, or bad copies - Enter the Squier VM. Went into a shop just to compare the sound to a strat, and the axe never touched the shop's wall hanger again... I always thought a Jag is just a tilted strat until then - That was precisely the sound I was looking for Smile

Congrats that you're finally there Smile

Last edited: May 21, 2015 00:55:18

Page 1 of 1