Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Warning: Heavy Reverb Detected

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5

So well all agree that those muse moments are essential (at least for the spark it takes to bring light to a song) and the notation is crucial. I agree Simon, if it's not catchy, it's not even worth it. But sometimes I just recod simple phrases, different rhythms or patterns which would get lost if not written down/recorded as they spawn from a very special moment and they are definitely worth keeping.
I usually never finish the songs. I just have parts and some sort of idea of the order I would put them together. But in the end I always take those parts to the practice room and let the others decide how to arrange them. Most of the times it turns out totally different from where I started or what I had in mind, which is a good thing, IMO. The songs sound more natural and come more easy if put together by a collective, rather than just one person saying that's the song, please play it the way I want it.

The Hicadoolas

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015 04:25:58

Same procedure here: Initial ideas and off to band practice for everything else.

My guess (and this is pure guessing!) is that a lot of the more conventional (or even boring) music in the surf genre results from the fact that the guitarists write the songs completely on their own and just have the rest of the band playing along to them, possibly even denying them any input at all. "No, don't play it like this. Just do as I told you." Dead

Would be interesting to hear the point of view from bass players and drummers on this: Do you take part in songwriting?

And to the guitarists: What amount of input do you "allow" from your other band mates? Are you ready to share the songwriting credits and the massive amount of royalties that come in, when you hit it big time? Wink

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015 04:54:53

simoncoil wrote:

LoeD, have you tried Hydrogen yet? It's very easy to use, allows a seemingly unlimited number of grooves and individual volume for each drum hit plus a general "humanize" function. I already worked out some surf stuff with it (even some drum rolls) and it sounds more convincing than any other drum software I used so far. And it's freeware.

Simon, I gave hydrogen a quick try, yesterday evening. It seems to do what I need. Thanks a lot!
LoeD

here comes the WEST SAMOA SURFER LEAGUE

DannySnyder wrote:

*>
One trick is to commit yourself to something first, forcing you to get off your ass and practice. For instance, put together a tribute to one of your favorite bands, book a show 3 monts out, then ask your musician friends to join you. Doesn't have to be a permanent band at all.

Exactly how I got my band together. A few years ago I decided to run a Beatles festival for charity. A friend said his brother played guitar and liked The Beatles, and he in turn got two workmates along who played drum and bass.
The drum and bass players had already been in bands, but us two guitarists, although guitar players, had never been in that situation. It was great. We played 8 songs and are still playing 3 years later, rehearsing very Thursday of the year apart from holidays, and getting paid gigs.

The festival itself was crazy. I organised 23 bands to play 270+ songs. No Beatle song was allowed to be repeated. The only gig I’d organised before was for two surf bands, Brighton’s very own Los Fantastico’s and The Space Agency.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5