Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Whiplash - Have you seen the film? Thoughts?

Page 1 of 1

Last night I saw the film Whiplash in the theater. A film about a young Jazz Drummer that has to deal with an abusive teacher while making a decision about what he would sacrifice for greatness. It was an older crowd at the showing, as to be expected. The acting was phenomenal and the music excellent. But, the overall message I could not disagree with more. Verbal and/ or physical bullying does NOT bring out greatness IMO. And I would not give up friends or close personal relationships to be a great musician.

If you saw the film what did you think of it?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014 16:46:53

Is this set in modern time? Looks so by the picture...

This isn't compelling... why would he want to sacrifice friends to make $100 a night some of the times...

It's kind of hilarious that this looks like it is a drill sergeant preparing a soldier for war. Has this ever happened with drumming instruction?

JakeDobner wrote:

It's kind of hilarious that this looks like it is a drill sergeant preparing a soldier for war. Has this ever happened with drumming instruction?

I hope not. It would'nt encourage me to be a better player for sure.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014 17:39:05

enigmaticMrC wrote:

JakeDobner wrote:

Is this set in modern time? Looks so by the picture...

Yes, it is set in New York at the "Top music college" of the country. The Vulgarity and Abusive speech coming from the teacher would put the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket to shame. I sort of cringed at it actually.

The actor the portrayed Spider man's Boss (J.K. Simmons) is the Teacher in the film and this guy is something else in it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014 17:44:11

I liked it a lot. I've had friends that hate it, saying that it boils music entirely down to technical ability. OK yeah, it's essentially a Rocky or Karate Kid rather than a music movie, whatever that would entail. I didn't mind that and spoiler I found it refreshing that the kid doesn't get the girl in the end. He doesn't get to have his cake and eat it too, he chooses the weird life he's obsessed over up to this point.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014 18:34:38

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

To be honest I'm amazed I haven't seen more jokes about drummers keeping time coming out of this

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

The Japanese and Russia/east Europe are prime examples of having an age old tradition of a very harsh education from a very young age, in science and the arts as well. Including real physical violence.
Result is: some of the most technically advanced and emotionally developed musicians in the world grew in that environment. Certainly not Robotic-like, very human, very expressive.
Once they grow up ,if/and set their minds free, they either become world stars, or want nothing to do with music for the rest of their lives.
They do excel, AND they do pay a personal mental and emotional price. There's a sadness to those cultures, one you can't escape.
But, I don't see creativity necessarily being hindered by this system, it's about instilling the confidence early, giving all the tools and the discipline necessary. Art is war sometimes, Private Pyle!
As an American film, of course it will take this idea to the extreme melodramatic abusive control angle. Certain people will potentially benefit from external relentless pushing, to dig in and find abilities and bring them to surface. Just add the words "caring", "reasonable" and "empathy" to the mix.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014 07:59:15

Brian Wilson certainly suffered at the hands of his abusive father, but whether that was for not taking the trash out or getting his harmonies wrong, who can say.

For every technically perfect musician there is a Ramone.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

I teach at a university in Slovenia. When I arrived here in 1996, there were quite a few professors like that. I've seen professors abuse students until the students run from the room in tears. Fortunately, most of those old professors are gone now, but there are still a few, and there is neither an institutional desire or a mechanism to get rid of them. I've seen worse in some other countries to the south and east of here.

https://striciizozadja.bandcamp.com/

da-ron wrote:

For every technically perfect musician there is a Ramone.

Thereby making the world a much better place!

Los Fantasticos

I saw and liked the movie a lot. Several drummer friends of mine have said how much they enjoyed the movie as well. I think they like the part about how hard you have to work to nail 64th note triplets at 180bpm. There are several plot points that don't make any sense, particularly the final concert. The point that the student is completely driven (to the point of dumping his beautiful girlfriend) is completely believable, I've known people like this. I'm lucky to have never had a teacher like that, but they do exist.
Finally, "Whiplash" the Don Ellis original version is an amazing piece!

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

One time at band camp...My high school band director threw his conducting baton at me and swore like a sailor. The veins on his temples looked like they were going to pop. He demanded that I take off the marching snare drum and run a lap around the football field. My internal response was, "Screw you. I'll show you how much better I am than you think."

The big takeaway is that some people (including me) need something to push against in order to move ahead. To put it in surfing terms, a big wave can crush you or propel you.

FWIW, I haven't seen the movie. A great teacher will adapt to what the student responds best to.

Dane

Another song in the same vein... (the beat kicks in around :40)

Want more, search youtube for "KPM music for dance floors"

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Last edited: Feb 08, 2015 18:17:30

Just watched this movie this morning. The music director was a real prick, (sign of a great actor). I loved the crazy drum solo at the end. Good movie. Message I got was, "Never give up"!

Be careful following the masses. Sometimes the "M" is silent...........................

I loved Whiplash! Especially since all the actors really played the instruments! In most Holywood movies this is really rare!

Last year was a good year for music in movies:
- Whiplash
- Begin Again (Mark Ruffalo is great in this film, also plays a mean bass guitar!)
- Frank (brilliant, where are the nominations for this one?)
- Rudderluss (wow, just wow, best musical score of the year!)
- Get on Up (only for the Little Richard scene).

And these are just the ones I saw...

www.alohasluts.com
Aloha Sluts on BandCamp
www.arnyzona.com (my photography)
Aloha Fest on facebook

Last edited: Feb 09, 2015 03:02:22

Weird Al gets whiplashed

https://striciizozadja.bandcamp.com/

Ha!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Page 1 of 1