Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Any Magnatone users?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Some of the tube complement are rare types, if I recall. I think the resurrected brand uses more common types, just as Fender uses 6v6 instead of 6k6 in their pcb reverb unit.
Many old tubes, especially the ones that regulate and invert signals, as opposed to preamp and power tubes, do not get 'used up' even over decades. Plus some of the magic of old tubes is that they are better manufactured than new ones, with purer metals and more absolute vacuum. I have original 50s tubes in my Gretsch Electromatic Twin and they sound great, and many in my 60s Fisher 400 stereo. Maggies typically have so many tubes (especially the 280) it's really hard to determine that any problem resides in them particularly.
Expired filter caps & drifted resistors are more often the bane of amp functions than tubes, in my experience. Also generally cheaper to replace.

Squink Out!

Here's a Guitar Player online review of the new Magnatone Stereo Twilighter.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Fronkensurf wrote:

One more thing, previous owner had a 3 prong cord installed, but it's a little ratty looking. And the tubes look old – 2 preamp tubes say made in Japan on them!

Anyone know of a good place to take an amp like this for repairs/tune up in southern Ohio/Cincinnati area? I've used Volume Electronics for other amps and had no problems. But I feel like I have a national treasure here and should be a little more careful.

Take it to Chromedome Audio in Sharonville. Adam White is a great guy and fantastic tube amp builder. Adam consults for Fender and has done great work on all of my vintage Amps. Don't bother with anyone else in Cincinnati! Chances are they will take it there and mark up his work.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2