Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Dick Dale talks the state of surf music in 1982

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

While viewing maxx's funny Dick Dale clip, this one popped up at the end. I've never seen anything from this time period. Pretty interesting to see him at that time. It's cool to see The Beast too. Not nearly as beat up as it is now.

I think they filmed this at the Gillette Mansion.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014 16:44:48

Wow - that video was fantastic.

I think you're right about the location too. Funny to see him rocking the bling'd out gold watch. Lastly, perhaps the most impressive is all the blonde amps the Beach Boys were rocking' at that ball park Shock

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Wow what a time capsule that was. I agree, it is very rare to see anything about the 80's scene and I've often wondered about the Tiger's Loose phase of Dick.

Does anyone know what that clip was from?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

In the early '80's, I was working at the Licorice Pizza main warehouse and offices in Glendale when Dick Dale drove up in a black Cadillac with a slinky gal at his arm and a trunk full of "The Tiger's Loose" LP's. We'd had Tom Petty, Sting, Marshall Crenshaw, Berlin and several others come to that building but I was by far most excited to see Dale. Only one other warehouse worker even knew who he was to the extent that they could name songs from his records. I remember telling Dick that I'd just found a copy of "Live at Ciro's" to which Dick replied, "That album is crap. This new one is the best thing I've ever done!" It was a thrill to meet him that first time and he looked just like he does in the video. Shortly after, I saw him at a show at the Country Club with the Surf Raiders and Jon & the Nightriders. That was a really big shoe. I still have the signed copy of The Tiger's Loose lp from his visit to the LP warehouse. I remember the linked video playing on local T.V. - maybe KTLA. The sad thing is that surf music went on a downward tradjectory through the rest of the 80's. Pulp Fiction in '94 gave it the real shot in the arm it needed. -Marty

"Hello Girls!"

That's quite a story!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Great story Marty!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

By far, Tigers' Loose is my favorite DD album.

A great clip. Thanks a lot for sharing this with us.
From a European point of view: we were happy to get a glimpse of the stars
and persons reviving the old spirit.
The Beach Boys were and are till touring the world, Jan & Dean nver cale to Europe ( Ihad met Dean in 1978 in Hollywood and asked him about the absence in Europe, as there are so many collectors and fans of them, he couldn´t give a prpoper answer to my question. There was " maybe along with the tv film "Dead mnan´s Curve we´ll make it."
Before that it was the radio especially AFN who had djs like Jim Petwer
whose shows were recorded on vinyl and sent to all American Forces stations around the world.
I was happy to have a station only 30 kilometers away from where I lived until 1973 and the Jim Pewter Original Oldies Show was a higlight in my weekly time schedule.
Two or three times a year he had a"surfin´ special" or "hot rod specail" show. Never had heard of The Lively Ones, Challengers,Bel Airs etc. before.
Groups whose records have never been released in Germany until the 1970s when bootlegging became a fad and collectors had made their own compilations to get back somne of the money they had spent on the records in auctions and for mail fees.
Ruediger

What an incredible find!! Thank you so much, Chris!

Dick looks so clean cut - it's very funny to see him like this. Otherwise, he's the same as he's ever been. Smile And how freakin' cute are those tiger cubs?? Absolutely adorable! (Is it still legal to own tigers? Somehow I doubt it.) He seemed to be more in his Vegas revue mode on stage, with the backing singers and a big band. Things would change quite bit for him in the following ten years - long hair, bandana, leather jacket, 3-piece band, etc.

Tiger's Loose is a good album, though there it has way too many vocals on there. The instros are excellent, though. Firing Up especially is a scorcher!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

You gotta love Dick Dale! He is thee man! He is the King of The Surf Guitar. The girls, the cars, the tigers!!! He's surf music's one and only Rock Star. His bravado is unmatched. He can say he invited surf music in 1956 and people believe him!! He can re-invent himself to every generation. In this clip he says the B-52's and Devo were emulating his guitar riffs. In the 90's he became the godfather of metal! I'm not being sarcastic. I really admire his bravado. Long live Dick Dale!

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Dick's still shredding, upcoming gigs on this "Billboard."

http://tunefan.com
http://www.youtube.com/tunefan

I've been thinking about this clip for a day or so. My first impression is that at one time, Dick cared about his guitar. It actually looks really good here. Second, Dick is 45/46 years old, about my age. None Makes me think I should start growing out my hair, and pretending that I don't really give a shit about anything, including my guitars and gear. Smile

Here's an article from a few years later that clearly shows what happened in the meantime.
http://articles.latimes.com/1985-01-17/entertainment/ca-7964_1_guitarist-dick-dale

Divorce, court, injury, and other assorted stuff. His life is full of half-starts, and almosts.....

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014 20:19:10

so......did 'richies' nightclub in anaheim ever get off the ground? if so, what happened to it?

www.surfintheeye.com

Carol,I dont recall ever hearing of a club of that Name here in Anaheim.
I remember Baja Marty saying that Dick used to play a club in Garden Grove
and another one in the (inland empire) in the 80s.
I wanna say they were both called the Rendezvous club, but not positive.
Maybe John Blair can chime in on if this is true.
also was DD involved in owning those at all?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Dick is one of a kind.

I didn't dig him trying to tell me he built and drove the Wedge Dragster in the 60's though.

Don't bullshit a bullshitter dude...

Jeff Utterback

Carol,I dont recall ever hearing of a club of that Name here in Anaheim.
I remember Baja Marty saying that Dick used to play a club in Garden Grove
and another one in the (inland empire) in the 80s.
I wanna say they were both called the Rendezvous club, but not positive.
Maybe John Blair can chime in on if this is true.
also was DD involved in owning those at all?

Never heard of "Richies." Dick bought the "Playgirl Club" in Garden Grove in the 80s and renamed it "The Rendezvous." He also had the "Rendezvous II" in Huntington Beach for a short time. In 1968 (not the 80s), he opened "Dick Dale's" out on Van Buren Avenue in Riverside. There were several acres of land behind the club where he kept his animals. A few years ago, the building was still there, relatively unchanged from how it looked in the late 60s.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

That was really special, thanks. (Even though the narrator blew the context of Hendrix' 'infamous' remark.) He's still gruff (although melting would be the word around Lana); nice to see & hear him during that particular period. Sometimes you just get a feeling about someone in a few minutes; I think he's got a kind heart which, with self-awareness, can give the luxury of not suffering BS very well.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Saw Dick Dale at a free, all day Surf band show in back of Moody's Music in G.G. He was the last act in a day long show of different bands and was so loud that he only got to play a couple songs before the police shut it down. He was incredible.

HEY THERE, HI THERE, HO THERE !!!!

He thinks he influenced Devo... Dale's Ego is big enough to fill 2 rooms! I wonder if he really believes half the things he says. Or, If that's just the persona he dons to sell records. Either way the guy's got the talent. And helped shape my favorite musical genre. Interesting video, thanks for the upload.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014 23:45:17

Listening to Dick's "Tiger's Loose" LP now, and I was reminded of this song (see below) - not one of his classics. Smile But Dick's intro IS classic: "Here's a song I just got through writing last night." Laughing You gotta love the man's nerve!!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Goto Page: 1 2 Next