Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Surf guitar stratocaster model

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Another accidental, unplanned purchase... Uh-Oh

I had been mesmerized by this one for some time at my favorite local indie music store and wondered why someone hadn't scooped it up. I guess I happened to be there at the right time because the store manager offered it to me at their cost. OK, I'm weak. I'll sell something to justify it. Out came the Visa card.

American Vintage '59 in faded 3-color sunburst (the original red has mostly faded away as is the case with many of the original '59-60 sunburst Fenders). Anyway, it looks, plays and sounds great.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015 23:13:50

SWEET! Congrats!

Very nice. Enjoy!

Otto & The Ottomans
Kennedy Custom Guitars

I really like my 2012 American Standard with the Fat 50s. It's probably the most versatile guitar that I own.

Kevin
The Out of Limits
www.facebook.com/theoutoflimitsband
https://theoutoflimits.bandcamp.com/

WoodyJ wrote:

Another accidental, unplanned purchase... Uh-Oh

I had been mesmerized by this one for some time at my favorite local indie music store and wondered why someone hadn't scooped it up. I guess I happened to be there at the right time because the store manager offered it to me at their cost. OK, I'm weak. I'll sell something to justify it. Out came the Visa card.

American Vintage '59 in faded 3-color sunburst (the original red has mostly faded away as is the case with many of the original '59-60 sunburst Fenders). Anyway, it looks, plays and sounds great.

And another congrats from me. I also have the '59 American Vintage though in the sonic blue. I would call yours a "Ventures Model" cause the late 50's sunburst with the cherry is what Don had on the early Ventures LPs. They are great guitars. I especially like that Fender now puts the clay markers on these guitars. It was a detail missing in previous AV series guitars. -Marty

"Hello Girls!"

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015 11:41:00

My 1960 Strat, bought in 1960 has seen a lot of travel, from the shores of CA to the beaches of Hawaii, across the pond to Viet Nam, and back to CA in one piece.

I could care less about its intrinsic value, so as soon as I got it had some pals paint it pearl white.

After I got drafted in 66 and headed off to Nam, my house-boy in my MP hooch took me downtown and introduced me to a fella who tore out the clay dots on the neck and replaced them with abalone.

It is in pretty good condition, considering where it has been.

I tore out the guts because they got in my way.

Oops, while I was showing off I forgot what the Thresd was all about; not me, but the Wood's new purchase. Bitchin neck, and the floor was not bad either.

Beautiful '60 Strat, SurfBeat. If it could talk, the stories it could tell...

BTW, what's the story on the left handed trem?

Actually, this thread has gotten a bit off topic, the OP was asking for suggestions regarding which Strat version is recommended by SG101-ers for playing surf. I am a guilty offender, as showing off my new baby didn't really answer the OP's question. Mea culpa. No

My answer to mrpicker: Bang for the buck, I'd suggest a MIM '50's or '60's Classic Series or if the budget allows, a MIM Road Worn Strat if mild relicing doesn't bother you. The Road Worns are really good players, they have the "feel" of an old, worn-in guitar and their thin nitro finish helps them resonate like crazy. The Classics and Road Worns don't really need any mods, just some good strings and a proper setup. Nice used ones can be had for a litle more than a Squier Classic Vibe, which is also a good value for the money.

SurfBeat - Thank you for your service! There are a few old geezers like you and me on SG101 that are veterans. Eddie Katcher, who posts here fairly often is a 'Nam-era vet as well. Interestingly, he and I went through Basic Combat Training at Ft. Knox at the exact same time back in 1970. We were in different training companies, though, and didn't meet until 1997.

OK, back to the topic now.... Smile

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015 19:28:54

Basic combat training company C 18 5. Fort Knox. That is amazing trivia Mr Johnson.

Hard to believe that the X-Rays/Surge! are in our 18th year. Nothing compared to those Mariner guys but, amazing none the less when one thinks about it.

The best Strat? Someone else's Strat.

Ed Cool

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2