Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink It's sharing time: barriers to your goals as a surf musician

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

no one to play with

time's been an issue lately.....i'm a small business owner

starting to play at age 47-ish. i don't have the muscle memory you have when you learn as a teen......just like trying to learn to surf when you are older. thank goodness i started at 13.

freezing up when playing with others

www.surfintheeye.com

Yep--no one to play with. Only music down is country. Not my thing.

Time is no issue. I've got all day.

Tried to relearn to surf at 62. No pictures. My balance is terrible. Diabetic and my feet don't always feel the board and it's affected my balance. Body board!!!

I want to shred! I want to just BURN! Nothing I can record on. I'm analog and have trouble working on computors. Any loan me couple of Revox's , mikes and a mixer?? ROTFL moron

Enjoying the surf,sun and sand!!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014 20:29:51

I'll throw in with a couple of folks......biggest problem is finding others to play with.

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

No call-back after auditions. Need to have ALL the standards at my fingertips – poor musical memory makes it hard. To keep 'up on' all the tunes I have to rehearse them nearly constantly, which I don't have time or patience to keep doing.

Squink Out!

As a resource for the "No one to play with" barrier, I recorded drums-only backing tracks for standards like "Baja" and "WDR" over on the SG 101 "Downloads" section a couple of months ago. Maybe someone here is motivated enough to record some bass, rhythm or lead over them and re-post. We have a long, dark, cold winter appraoching, so I'd record drums for aome more surf standards, time and my ability permitting. What standards are on your wish lists? - Dick

*Dick B.
The Aquatudes
http://www.aquatudes.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Aquatudes/107419619521

My main barrier is that I work 80+ hours a week as a marching band director during football season. I have an entire record worth of demo songs in the can, just no time to take it past there. I love teaching music as my career, it just leaves very little time to create my own music.

The Techtonics reverb nation page

Soundcloud page

Last edited: Oct 01, 2014 11:53:59

JStern wrote:

I have an entire record worth of demo songs in the can, just no time to take it past there.

Sounds like you have next season's repertoire planned out!

Logistics, time constraints and age discrimination.

My bandmates live in Tennessee, 200 miles from me which make rehearsals an issue.

I am retired with tons of free time, my bandmates have time-consuming jobs that often involve weekend work. As a result we have indefinitely delayed our 50th anniversary album project, which will now be something else.

The really fun surf- and instro-friendly club venues we played in in the '90's and early 2000's (that still exist) are no longer interested in booking bands comprised of geriatric local musicians since their target customers are mostly in their 20's and 30's. That is completely understandable and is why we stopped playing live and now concentrate on recording when time allows.

So...all you guys that make fun of us older players, remember that if you are lucky, someday you will be old, too. Karma is a bitch. Big Grin

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

"barriers to your goals as a surf musician" ??!!

Choosing to play surf music in the first place!!!
:~D

WoodyJ wrote:

So...all you guys that make fun of us older players, remember that if you are lucky, someday you will be old, too. Karma is a bitch. Big Grin

But think of all of the great claims to fame you have!

Abraham Lincoln bought the first ever Mariners recording.
You toured California when it still belonged to Mexico.
You guys opened for Roosevelt's presidential campaign events. Both Roosevelts.

There was something else...
Oh yeah! You were one of the original acts in surf music history!

Time is my biggest barrier 8 months of the year owning a seasonal business but tonight at 5:30 Tim, our drummer, is coming into the studio to bash out the next installment of the Kahuna Kings. We have to force ourselves to do this!

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

JakeDobner wrote:

WoodyJ wrote:

But think of all of the great claims to fame you have!

Abraham Lincoln bought the first ever Mariners recording.
You toured California when it still belonged to Mexico.
You guys opened for Roosevelt's presidential campaign events. Both Roosevelts.

There was something else...
Oh yeah! You were one of the original acts in surf music history!

Correct on all counts, Jake, but it wasn't Abe, it was Martin Van Buren.

(BTW, well played, I actually LOL'd)

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2