Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink What was the first LP that was considered Surf Music?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

shivers13 wrote:

It’s interesting to note that many surf bands were copying the sound of Dick Dale but The Chantays had their own vibe with the ticky-tack rythmn that would become a staple of the genre.

To my ears, the Chantays were the bridge between DD and the South Bay sound. I think that 'ticky-tack rhythm', as you describe it, Norm, was just an extension of/variation on what Paul Johnson was playing in the intro of "Mr. Moto" (right after the opening chords), but the Chantays' innovation was to use fairly heavy reverb AND - probably most importantly - use palm-muting to really make the reverb 'pop' (booch?). Pipeline as a song to my ears seems clearly influenced by PJ's writing style, but then they took the reverb and the glissandos from DD, and voila - the beautiful fusion of two regional sounds that becomes the blueprint for the '60s SoCal surf music.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014 07:43:19

Ivan, your post is even better if you imagine the opening to 2001: A Space Odyssey happening but with surf bands and the giant monolith evolving the sound.

Well put, Ivan. Pipeline was a pivotal moment, especially on a nationwide level. They took the tools DD, PJ and the other pioneers laid down but made the execution uniquely theirs and undeniably “surf”. It was a big nationwide hit. Moto, Trippin’ and Misorlou charted locally in CA but didn’t impact the nationwide charts the way Pipeline did. And they were on nationwide TV. The word was out on what had previously only been in the SoCal area. Cue 2001 music here!

The Pipeline LP is really great too. The song is so well-known that it out shadows their other stuff but the album has some other gems. Tragic Wind, Blunderbus, El Conquistador and Banzai their “re-working” of the Ventures' Driving Guitars and others are great.

Another interesting note is that the drumming on the album has what people refer to now as “the Astronauts beat” but these recordings are pre-Astronauts. Great stuff.

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014 12:23:21

Ivan, that was an excellent observation/analysis---something that hadn't occurred to me.

shivers13 wrote:

Tragic Wind, Blunderbus, El Conquistador and Banzai their “re-working” of the Ventures' Driving Guitars and others are great.

Not on the Pipeline album, but "Beyond" (1964) rivals Pipeline as my favorite Chantays tune. With its opening glissando, it sounds like a conscious attempt at a follow up success. It appears as a single, and on the album "Two Sides of the Chantays":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OLUxAb8Evw

Pretty much everything coming out of Downey Studios.

Nuff Sed.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3