Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink 2014 releases - let's have some more talk!!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Hey everyone, I've been reading this thread with interest on the FB point. Part of the reason I started checking in on SG101 was due to FB fatigue, I think it's great this site continues to thrive because of the members devotion and hard work.

It's a much more enjoyable experience IMHO...and this thread idea is a great one, getting some great purchase inspirations. I find it particularly hard to sift through the swathe of information available these days, I've always preferred word of mouth and I'm so glad it's alive and well!

Ok, nuff about Facebook.
Let's get back to the music reviews.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Here is a bunch of stuff I bought from Lorenzo
At the surf spot gig in Nor. Cal.
More pics to come when the stuff pops up.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

NO... wait... I want to chime in...

Real quick. I post my playlist on both sites. I honestly doubt I'm going to get too many NEW listeners here on SG101. But I do post on FB, not only on my own page, but to each band/artist's page that happens to be on that podcast. That way, fans of that band are going to see my podcast and hopefully check it out to hear 'their' band... fans who are not on SG101. It's awesome to watch the number of 'likes' on FB grow whereas the numbers of 'views' on SG101 is pretty constant.

FB and SG101 each have their own purpose... it's all good.

SaschaReynders wrote:

Rossmosis wrote:

Watang! is awesome, enjoyed that one.

+1 on that one, I bought "Miss Wong" last weekend and I've been playing it at all week long in the car on my way to and from work. I love the oriental, kung-fu atmosphere of that album.

Thank you! really glad u like it!

elSentenza

Watang! Mandarine Surfers
https://www.facebook.com/watangsurf?ref=hl

Clint wrote:

FB and SG101 each have their own purpose... it's all good.

YUP

But but but...
Oh I give up.
Never try to teach a pig to sing,
It wastes yer time and annoys the pig.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

So, nobody has anything to say about any of these releases?? You don't have to be negative, just write about the stuff you like - but write something! I've already written quite a bit in my reviews of those several records, and I'll add some more at some point, but maybe somebody else could contribute now.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Ivan,
Not to derail the thread, as I think it's a great idea.
But to kinda prove my point about FB killing discussion on forums.
Sven Kirsten just put out this great tiki book,
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=47742&forum=1&196
And there isn't much discussion about it either.
The majority of the posts are about where to get it for cheap,
And shipping costs etc...

I need to delve into a bunch of the cds I got recently,
Then I'll try to discuss here.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I've been listening to several of the releases mentioned in this thread. Here are my current thoughts on Messer Chups "Church of Reverb".

Meser Chups have always been kind of hit or miss to me, and I freely admit to not getting their earlier experimental stuff (but I haven't really tried too hard either). But this is a very solid release which reaches greatness on a few tracks.

Messer Chups is mainly a trio, but this release finds keyboards and even a guttural (baritone?) sax on a few tracks. The overall mood is campy and creepy horror kitsch that is expertly played. The band is incredibly tight sounding, and quite capable of getting a nice groove going. The drums are a bit low in the mix but still effective. The bass playing is very fast, confident, and prominent. The guitarist, Oleg, has a massive traditional surf guitar tone going on. The guitar snarls out twangy lines, spits reverb, shimmers with tremolo, and just grabs your attention. At their worst the band builds an entire song out of a repeated guitar riff over a I-IV-V structure. At their best, we hear full structured songs with unique parts, spooky atmospherics with either sax or keys, screams from the lovely Svetlana, and very melodic guitar playing drenched in glorious trad surf guitar reverb and tones highlighted with reverb crashes and tremolo effects. Very tasty. There are 3 or 4 absolutely stunning original songs on this album that make it worth the purchase as well as several stand out covers including The Theme from Black Saddle and a take on the classic Popcorn. Overall this is a very fun, spooky, well done and clever release. I am greatly enjoying it and look forward to more from this band. Highly recommended.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Did I end this thread, lol?

I hope to post more as I'm still listening to the other albums mentioned here. I was hoping to hear what other people thought as well.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian wrote:

No,you didn't, but there are so many new albums/cds coming in.
On monday I received a vinyl copy of the Danny Amis & Twin Tones album "Super Spy & Western Tones",
on wednesday the new Bang! Mustang! cd "Surfin' NSA" came in and yesterday i bought this one
http://thegoldensinglesrecords.bandcamp.com/album/le-grand-miercoles-ghost-cowboys
and then there is a new Phantom Four-EP out
http://greencookierecords.bandcamp.com/album/esperanza-ep
It takes some time to listen to all this awesome stuff Yes No time for reviews at the moment.
BTW: great review of the Messer Chups album - thank you!
But isn't it an album from 2013?
http://www.discogs.com/Messer-Chups-Church-Of-Reverb/release/4678450

Brian wrote:

Smile I meant to say a few things about it after you posted, but it's just been amazingly busy. I think your review is dead on, Brian. I've also checked out some stuff by the Messer Chups in the past, and didn't like it very much. But I love this album! I think the addition of Boris AKA Bisfer (of Los Twang! Marvels and Bang! Mustang) has helped the band a LOT. All three are truly excellent players (Oleg, the lead guitar player, in particular stands out, amazing tone and playing), and they GET trad surf music like few others. They play with an authenticity that I find rare today, with a genuineness to their sound that makes the songs come alive even when quite simple (though not all, I must admit that some don't do a whole lot for me.) I do think this is one of the best deeply-trad surf albums I've heard in years. All the instrument sounds are simply immaculate and 100% surf-authentic, with a warm though fairly modern hi-fi production. I would describe the album as an almost perfect halfway-point between Danny Amis' Los Straitjackets songs and the non-fuzz Ghastly Ones (with the horror-movie element), though some of the songs also remind me of the early (Intensity-era) Bambi Molesters, and some even of the early Surf Coasters, which is very cool in my book. And the occasional addition of the baritone sax is a very nice touch, adding to the trad authenticity! My favorites on the album are Hula Tikula (LOVE IT!) and Padre Pizzicato. Also love the covers of Black Saddle, Harlem Nocturne, and Popcorn. All those are real gems.

BTW: great review of the Messer Chups album - thank you!
But isn't it an album from 2013?
http://www.discogs.com/Messer-Chups-Church-Of-Reverb/release/4678450

The first edition of the album did come out in '13, but it's been rereleased this year as an expanded CD, with the addition of another 14 tracks to the original 14, the additional ones being from their other three LPs (or EPs? I'm not sure, it says LPs, but it's four songs from each) from '10 and '11. I find that older material a bit less compelling, but it's a long CD (73 minutes), and it's taking me a while to process it all.

UKAY54 wrote:

On monday I received a vinyl copy of the Danny Amis & Twin Tones album "Super Spy & Western Tones",

Oh, this one is out now? Anybody know the best place to order from if living in the USA?

on wednesday the new Bang! Mustang! cd "Surfin' NSA" came in and yesterday i bought this one
http://thegoldensinglesrecords.bandcamp.com/album/le-grand-miercoles-ghost-cowboys

Will order this as soon as Double Crown gets it - really looking forward to it!

and then there is a new Phantom Four-EP out
http://greencookierecords.bandcamp.com/album/esperanza-ep

Oh wow! I didn't even know about this. It looks like one new song (Esperanza - very cool song!), and then three songs from Mandira that originaly had horns/vocal but now without them and the lead guitar playing the melodies. Very cool! Download only, or is there a CD, too?

It takes some time to listen to all this awesome stuff Yes No time for reviews at the moment.

Yes, a TON of stuff coming out now, kinda hard to keep up! A good problem to have! Smile

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Here are my reviews for 2014. Look for a couple more by year's end.

It’s a…THING! By the Surf Zombies CD Review 25-Nov-2014
Penguin or Robot? EP by Urban Surf Kings Review 05-Nov-2014
Last Wave by Dirty Fuse CD Review 29-Oct-2014
Surfers Journey by Cutback CD Review 19-Oct-2014
Creation Myths by MOONBASE CD Review 08-Sep-2014
The Blue Demons Review 01-Sep-2014
Human Sounds volume one: Stop off in Ridgeview by Kill, Baby… Kill! EP Review 10-May-2014
Surfadelic Spy-a-Go-Go by Crazy Aces CD Review 07-May-2014
Wild Surf Guitars from Insanitizers CD Review 04-Mar-2014
Monsters of Surf CD Review 24-Feb-2014

Has anyone compiled a comprehensive list of all the 2014 releases?

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2