Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
118 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Learning Pipeline "the ventures" and I am stuck in the pipe !

Page 1 of 1

Hello everyone.

Ive just breaking my brains and meager guitar playing skills over a part in Pipeline.
Problem part comes after the main riff "
0202420242 2 2
2 2

then my tab says"palm muted
4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5
2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3

4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5
2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3

4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4
2 2 2 0 2 2 2 0 2 0 2 2 2 0 2 2 2 0 2 2

2 2 2 2 2 2 2
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
3 3 3 20 19 18 17....... 12 11 13.....

that piece with muted doubles untill the glissando
Does that seem right to you guys?

Im just a beginner and well breaking my hands over it so i want to be sure atleast im doing the right one as ive got two pdf's, guitar tab and two youtube video's all doing it differently.

Any tips on this are welcome.
Kind regards Stein

Welcome to the forum!
Bruce has a pretty good pair of lessons here and here.

Be patient; he will play it through full-speed at the beginning of each lesson, but he does a pretty good job with this stuff. Plus, you get to re-run it! Big Grin

Have fun & don't forget to breathe.
Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Hi.
Welcome to the forum.

For Pipeline I think there is about as many versions to this song as there are people playing it.

The tabs you have posted looks to be the same as from the official Ventures songbook.

I play pipeline like that as you can see its more or less 3 power chords
B5, C5 and E5.
It goes a bit between B and C, before landing for two measure on B, and then 3 beats on the sixth string third fret(G), then the Glissando.
The songbook shows the glissando on the sixth string. However I found it sounds better going from (B) on the fifth string 14th fret up to a (B) on the second fret.

I will also omit lifting my finger from the second fret while playing the last two measures of the B chord. (This is purely lack of finesse on my part Smile )

As I said everybody plays it slightly different, and the most important thing is to have fun with it Smile

Remember to also take it slow in the start and build up your technique. I'm confident that you will be nailing this lovely classic in no time. Smile

Cheers!
James

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014 10:12:26

Herr,
This is just my perspective - three types of 'glissando' (a.k.a. the 'gliss') sounds:
1. Start at the 5th of where you want to end the gliss - ex. start at high 'B', on the low E string if you resolve the gliss on 'E'. Try to hit double notes (8th or 16th notes) for each fret (yeah, it takes practice). Palm mute the string as you pick

1. Same as 1 above but lightly touch the string as you do the gliss. You needn't palm mute.

2. When you have 1 and 2 down, 3 is a combination of 1 and 2. - muted on the string and at the bridge. Have your technique from 1 and 2 down and have that slap echo going.

(4). Oh yeah, for the Dick Dale types among us - don't mute the strings at all. Not the best to my ears, I prefer the slapping muted sound. But to each his own ears.
J Mo'

Hey guys thanks for the great tips Smile
Tonight ill get to putting them in practise Smile
Its been really great discovering surf music.
I played some guitar 10 years ago and dident know but loved the surf tunes on Pulp Fiction.
So fast forward to now I much better know what kind of music I want to play and found a great community.

I am planning on taking lessons after ive saved up for a better guitar.

Kind regards and thanks!

Page 1 of 1