Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink 1963 Fender Twin

Page 1 of 1

I was at Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI earlier today, and got to play through this baby. Really great shape, excellent sound, two JBL D120Fs, nice harmonic vibrato, several people came over while I was playing and were amazed by the sound. But check out the price tag.... Shocked Duh

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/130U-10489.htm

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I had to look. I was low by $3500. Do they honestly expect someone to pay that much for this?

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Those are pretty rare. Only about 500 made over 3 years (1960-'63). They seem to be on the high end of the book value, but it looks like great condition and being on consignment, maybe there is some wiggle room. (Take out a second mortgage and make an offer!) No doubt it will eventually go for near that price.

I want one of those!! Agree

nice one Ivan!

Enjoying the surf,sun and sand!!

IvanP wrote:

...several people came over while I was playing and were amazed by the sound.

It wasn't the amp. Wink

From the ad:

newer AC plug on original AC cable

Sure hope they finished that job at the amp end.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I almost forgot: perusing acoustic guitars while I was at Elderly's today was the actor Jeff Daniels, paling around with the staff, wearing ratty old clothes! He lives not too far away, in Chelsea, MI, to which he's contributed a great deal over the years, and he seems like a very nice, down-to-earth guy.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

They are very rare. That's why I flipped out that the guitarist in the Diamondheads was using one on stage at last year's Instro Summit. I was told it was the real deal. I've only seen one other real one and it was trashed. George Tomsco still has his original that he used all through the Fireballs' years. It was supposedly also the amp for Capt. Jack Sparrow, I mean Keith Richards.

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Skippy and the Skipjacks: 2018-
Skippyandtheskipjacks.net
https://www.facebook.com/skippyandtheskipjacks
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-2015
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014 23:59:36

I guessed $9000 on the price, that thing is sweet!

Just saw a '63 AC30 head at my buddy's shop. Oh man... Not quite as rare as this, but close. '63 AC30 head is bigger than a brownface Showman head! HUGE

What about the knob in the rear panel?

When you have to shoot ... shoot! Don't talk.
"Los Grainders" www.facebook.com/losgrainders
"Planeta Reverb" www.facebook.com/planetareverb

Nevermind, saw the info at website.

When you have to shoot ... shoot! Don't talk.
"Los Grainders" www.facebook.com/losgrainders
"Planeta Reverb" www.facebook.com/planetareverb

IvanP wrote:

I almost forgot: perusing acoustic guitars while I was at Elderly's today was the actor Jeff Daniels, paling around with the staff, wearing ratty old clothes! He lives not too far away, in Chelsea, MI, to which he's contributed a great deal over the years, and he seems like a very nice, down-to-earth guy.

It makes me respect an actor who can keep a low profile and seem like one of the "guys". New respect for Jeff. Was he strumming?

I almost forgot to make a comment about the amp. So sweeeeet!!! I wish I had a bank account that had a balance with lots of 0's at the end of it. Too bad mine usually has 3 0's.....$0.00. Great looking amp!

I saw this one a few years ago at Buffalo Brothers...

" (tremolo does motorboat when intensity is set past 7)"

These amps do that when the power supply filter caps are bad. New caps will fix that problem. Unfortunately, there is a mentality where original, degraded components are more desirable than new components in order to preserve the 'collector value'. If this amp were going to a museum where it would sit on display and never be used, then fine. But a degraded cap can fail without warning and destroy the power transformer. What do you suppose a blown PT does to the value of an amplifier like this?

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

whoooo - nice amp (but I'm sure damn heavy to carry around).

I saw one at Emerald City Guitars in Seattle last year. I think they were asking 9 K for it. I asked for a second (to have a backup, when one breaks down during a gig), but they didn't have....

So I decided to not buy....
;)

I have a friend in Georgia with on of these for sale. It is far less expensive that the amp at Elderly. I played a gig through one about ten years ago. An amazing creation for sure.

Keep it Drippy Brothers and Sisters!

Master volume added, and close to 9K? OK to ask, not sure it will sell at that price.
For a player I don't understand the need for this amp, unless combos are your thing. For a collector - sure, being that they are so rare.

Correct me if I am wrong, wouldn't a Brownface Double Showman be the same thing in a head?

Ran

The Scimitars

kick_the_reverb wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, wouldn't a Brownface Double Showman be the same thing in a head?

Ran

Almost identical apart from the speakers and slight differences in the pre-amp B+ supply dropper chains and the bias supplies between the schematics for the 6G8A and 6G14. (I take it this had 6 pre-amp tubes Ivan?). But you can't always go by what was written on the schematics for these.

He who dies with the most tubes... wins

Surf Daddies

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014 23:30:48

Page 1 of 1