Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Free Jazzmaster Pickup Deal

Page 1 of 1

First, let me say that if this post is in any way a violation of SurfGuitar101 policies, please remove it and we will find another way.

Disclaimer aside, I want to offer a free set of Jazzmaster pickups from Surfside Pickups to someone who is adept at doing pickup swaps, willing to install in a Jazzmaster, and who would be willing to simply write a review of your impressions of the pickups.

The other part of the deal is this: if you decide not to keep the pickups in your guitar, please pass them on to another forumite here who meet the same criteria.

I have been using an identical set in my jazzmaster for several months and I have been hugely happy.

Here is some info on the pickups:

Surfside Boutique Pickup Set For Fender Jazzmaster® Guitar

My good friend, a long time boutique pickup winder, has decided that he would be happier winding his legendary custom pickup wares as a recluse than spending his life on the phone and on the internet. He was thinking about retiring until I offered to help him offer his great pickups here on Ebay.

Being a guitarist who loves to play Surf guitar, I bought a Squier Jazzmaster guitar. While I loved the guitar, I was not in love with the stock pickups, so I asked my reclusive friend if he would wind me a set for my Jazzmaster. He’s wound magical pickups for my Strats and Teles over the years. We went back and forth with prototypes until we had the right balance of tone, fatness, articulation and that elusive musical vibe that is the mark of truly great guitar pickups.

The neck pickup is fat, clean and present and the bridge pickup has a bit of extra beef, while remaining full range and dripping with tone. The bridge pickup uses alnico 8 magnets and incorporates adjustable pole pieces. When used together, the pickups are hum-canceling.

These pickups are wound by hand and are totally hand made, from assembly of the bobbins to the actual wining of the coils. Hand wound coils are far superior than machine wound, mass produced pickups. If you care to have the best, this is it.
Specs:
Bridge: 9:14k
Neck: 6.89k

This is a first come, first served deal. I will get your shipping address via private message.

Dead

Squink Out!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014 14:54:24

You should send a set to these guys asking for a review: https://www.facebook.com/mmguitarbar

They definitely have the ear of the Offset community, with lots of people following who like to build guitars/swap pickups.

I'm a guitar and amp tech in SoCal who also plays surf among other styles. I would be happy to install the PUs in my MIJ Jazzmaster and write a review with before and after sound clips through a BF Dual Showman. PM me it I can be of some help.

Keep it Drippy Brothers and Sisters!

Hammond,

I am going to send the set to you, as you replied here first. I did have some other PM's from members who wee interested, so if you should choose not to keep them in your Jazzmaster, would you be willing to pass them around for a taste test?

No worries, If there are others who wish to test and you have no other PUs available I can yank them out and ship to the next victim. I'm not looking for free pickups, just trying to help your processes.

Keep it Drippy Brothers and Sisters!

Hammond101--Thanks--that is the spirit of the thing, and I appreciate your help. Feedback will help with the process of developing possible alternate versions of the pickups. I wanted a bit more muscle from the bridge pickup and was given a superb bridge using an alnico 8 magnet. I've been using the pickups for my Jazzmaster on some gigs and have been very pleased. Obviously, there is no one universal standard for what makes a pickup "right". So rather than blather my opinions, which are obviously biased, I thought it would be best to get some real world reviews.

Look for your package by next week...and thank you!

If you want further opinions or responses to new designs, keep me in queue!

Squink Out!

Sorry to say that I sent the pickups and never got a review or a response response, despite phone calls and private messages here. It was verified that two of the three pickups sent arrived. Live and learn, I guess. I will not make this mistake again. I do hope that the individual that received the pickups is alive and well.

Crawdad wrote:

Sorry to say that I sent the pickups and never got a review or a response response, despite phone calls and private messages here. It was verified that two of the three pickups sent arrived. Live and learn, I guess. I will not make this mistake again. I do hope that the individual that received the pickups is alive and well.

That is a bummer, and sorry that it happened with somebody from this community.

If you still want feedback, I still highly suggest contacting the guys at Mike and Mike's Guitar Bar. They have a pretty big following online and specialize in Jazzmasters/Jags.

Also, definitely seek out players you like and respect to test these out!

OK, Hammie, your turn is up & its time to pass the p'ups on to the next reviewer. I promise to attempt to describe their performance conscientiously

Squink Out!

That really sucks and gives this place a bad name. Where is Hammond101, you are SO punished! Banish him and his children and his children's children, for at least 2 months.

He last logged in over a month ago.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

He used to be really active, as I recall.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Maybe he is ill? He's not young you know. A lot of us aren't. He seemed a straight up gent, and generous. I think he's out of commission somewhere.

Squink Out!

Page 1 of 1