Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Continental Magazine - Issue #22 w/CD w/ The Atlantics & Dusty Watson

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Thanks, as if strumming non stop for 7 songs at 175BPM wasn't enough pressure Duh

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

bigtikidude wrote:

Ivan, Great work, mucho kudos.

Thank you, Jeff!

Have you told Martin or any others in the Atlantics
About the tribute set your doing at the Sg101 convention?
If so I wonder what their thoughts on that are?

I talked to Jim Skiathitis about it, and he was very supportive. In fact, we even did a Skype session a few months ago, where he pulled out his guitar and (at my request) showed me a few tricks that I had a hard time figuring out! So, yeah, we definitely have their blessing, which is very nice. But they're all super-nice, humble, down-to-earth people, so I didn't expect anything else!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Very cool!

I'd love to have them here like Lorenzo
Did last year. Sadly we probably couldn't
Afford them.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Well, if you read the new interview, to the end, they say they're done, there will be no more Atlantics shows. Both Jim and Peter have retired from music, and that's the end of that. Of course, things can change, but it seemed to me like they really meant it. So, it's now up to us to keep their music alive. We'll do the best we can.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

DannySnyder wrote:

Thanks, as if strumming non stop for 7 songs at 175BPM wasn't enough pressure Duh

LMAO My partner's bass boat has a little plaque on the passenger console that says, "Get in, sit down, shut up & hold on." That kind of set of that music reminds me of that. (Heck, just me trying to play Reef Break correctly does that... hat is officially tipped.)

It'll be great. Yes

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014 16:00:15

IvanP wrote:

So, it's now up to us to keep their music alive. We'll do the best we can.

It is difficult to hear about Peter's travails; but good to see that he & Jim are already looking forward on something else they've been avid about for a long time. As Martin said, black is the new red. And with the similar influences as articulated in the interviews I think that legacy is safe. With no sign that Martin's prolific writing talents are waning, we're going to hear some marvelous things for a long time to come.

Glass wayyyyyyyy more than half full. Wink

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Thumbs Up

BTW, nobody's mentioned the way-cool CD that comes with the new issue, chock full (19 tracks) of fresh surf songs by all sorts of bands from around the world (Martin Cilia, the Derangers, Les Agamemnonz, the Razorblades, the Grande Bois, the Trabants...). I'll just mention the new TomorrowMen track, which (100% deservedly!) starts off the whole collection - it's called "The Man Who Couldn't Tell Time", and it's simply amazing! Danny and co. absolutely deliver once again. What a talented guy that is! IMO, this song is worth the price of the whole issue itself. (The CD also has the Secret Samurai most recent track, "A Proper Quarrel," which I think till now has only been available through download.)

Get it now! http://www.doublecrownrecords.com/the-continental-magazine-issue-22-w-cd/

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I'll be getting it at SG101 convention

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Thanks Ivan!!! Our song aside, there's lot's of really impressive music on this disk. Surf music shows no sign of slowing down in the 20-teens.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Maybe all that promo from Brave new surf is paying off.
Maybe we should look into re-pushing the cd again.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude wrote:

Maybe all that promo from Brave new surf is paying off.
Maybe we should look into re-pushing the cd again.

Well, all that promo has paid off in another way - the CD is just about sold out! I only have about 7 copies left. But yes, I think that big promotional effort has paid off in big ways, not just for the BNS CD, but for all of the bands involved.

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

Sean,
Send those down for the SG101 con.
I'll buy 2 for sure.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I revisited the Continental #22 CD again, and have been really enjoying it, great tracks by the Trabants, Jason Lee & the R.I.P.Tides, the Stingrays (which Stingrays is this band? Somebody new?), Audios Amigos, Die Kosmonauten, Les Agamemnonz, the 9th Wave, the Grande Bois, the Spytones, and many others - but I must say once again how incredibly, deeply blown away I am by the TomorrowMen track "The Man Who Couldn't Tell Time". Danny is a good friend, but this has nothing to do with my feelings on this matter - I truly think this is a masterpiece of a song. The mood, the dynamics, the occasional organ in the background, the backwards effects, the crazy phaser effect on the whole track during the descending line at the end of the bridge as the song slows down for the dramatic emphasis before - with much relief to the listener -returning to the verse - holy shit. This is a work of sheer musical genius, and I'm in complete awe. Shocked Worship Between this and Tunak Tunak Tun, it all bodes extremely well for the next album - I can't wait!!!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Alright Sean!!! That's great a new Continental mag....

How about the possibility of interviewing SURF DRUM LEGEND TIM FITZPATRICK

He has played SURF DRUMS from 1961 to 2014...and still going
53 years dedicated to surf.

The Surfmen
The Lively Ones
The Dynotones

He has only been a full time surf drummer.
AND the only 1st wave to present Surf Drummer to cross both oceans while in his own single band touring.
Hes played festivals in Japan, Germany, all over southern and northern california festivals and carshows, Mooneyes car show, Barris Car show, Las Vegas RockaRound, And Viva Las Vegas several times at the old hotel and new...tiki oasis...tiki caliente. He has even played the Viva Las Vegas main carshow stage in his own band.

Hes 73 years old and can still play drums while standing on top of his set.

We are up there almost pushing towards punk with Motorhead volumes breaking a sweat.... Tim is in the back smiling away without even a bead on his brow.

BoB Keene recording artist
Del-fi
He might even have a story of playing for Burlesque

Tim isnt out there trying to be the best, claim the best, or make money
he is just doing what he loves ....and is very modest.

Maybe its about time someone does an interview.
Let him tell his perspective of history and what its like to play today.

I think that would be awesome !!!
AND ... a lot of surf drummers would dig it....

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014 23:40:54

Goto Page: Previous 1 2