Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink Laika & the Cosmonauts - live on german TV (37 minutes!)

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Here is a pretty good video from a gig Laika & the Cosmonauts did for german television.

Enjoy!

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Excellent!!!

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

I've seen it some time ago, It's excellent. Love that drummer ....... I need one Cry

Not surf but you might like it:
http://donbale.bandcamp.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA0g6Sn3e9FULMN0owd9YGw
https://soundcloud.com/fatalamanga

Really awesome - I love this band

Simon, do you know anything about this TV-series "Absolut Live"? It must have been in the late 1990s and as I see it's from Radio Bremen. The video seems do be ripped off a rerun on 3SAT. Maybe there is a better copy at the TV-station!

Fantastico!

Hey, the lead guitarist is playing a VOX AC30. Ha! For sure he is playing an AC30. But what is this thing lying on his amp? A kind of reverbsomething?
Soooo incredible great musicians!
WHAT a setlist!!! All the fascinating Laika songs!!!!
The only thing when watching here on computer: The unbelievable good drummer is the only one who is doing a kind of stage acting. The lead guitarist is just standing and playing….
When I see bands live I love to see bands totally get weird on stage. …but maybe the Laika songs are weird enough in itself?!
And I ask myself: DO they want to get the people dance? I think they don`t care. The music is very good for jumping around, screaming and yelling.
WHAT a band!!!!: On about 28:00 min: You hardly can groove more than this!!!
Heroes!

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

Wow!! What a find! That's awesome! Thanks!!

IMO, one of the finest instrumental bands of all time! Playing a show with them and having Matti blow out my speakers with his keyboard continues to be one of my great musical memories.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Last edited: May 30, 2014 17:20:07

That was awesome!!!

Ausgezeichnet! Cheers

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

UKAY54 wrote:

Simon, do you know anything about this TV-series "Absolut Live"? It must have been in the late 1990s and as I see it's from Radio Bremen. The video seems do be ripped off a rerun on 3SAT. Maybe there is a better copy at the TV-station!

I must damit, that I don't know anything about it. I just stumbled upon the video on youtube. Since their logo is shown in the beginning my guess would be, that Absolut Live was a spin off from Rockpalast (like the Crossroads show they did in later years, which focused on blues rock). Further investigation might be worthwhile: Some public TV stations as Radio Bremen offer copies from their archives for a reasonable fee. But then again the tapes could also be in the Rockpalast archive...

HallmarkSweptWinger wrote:

But what is this thing lying on his amp? A kind of reverbsomething?

Probably a digital delay (from the sound I would think there wasn't any reverb)

When I see bands live I love to see bands totally get weird on stage. …but maybe the Laika songs are weird enough in itself?! [...] The music is very good for jumping around, screaming and yelling.

I think the songs are very complicated and they probably need a lot of concentration and precision to play them. So the old question is: What is more important, the music or the show? For me too the music would be enough to get totally nuts in front of the stage - wild stuff. I was also pleasantly suprised by the noise/feedback stuff at the end of Get Carter!

"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

simoncoil wrote:
So the old question is: What is more important, the music or the show?

No no! This is no question.
Important for live is the music AND the show of course.

If I want just the music I can listen the albums at home.

I am nearly depressed by bands just standing boring and HIGHLY concentrated and stiff on stage…
At last Laika are not really stiff on stage, they KNOW how to play and do not have to concentrate soooo much I guess.

Good example for good live bands would be Slacktone or El Ray or Fifty Foot Combo. They know also how to play and act on stage and get the power of their songs with their whole bodies through their instruments to the audience.
And why they can do this? Because they have practiced enough before getting on stage. …but this sounds like an other thread now, sorry.

Laika rules!

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

Last edited: May 31, 2014 05:06:44

simoncoil wrote:

I think the songs are very complicated and they probably need a lot of concentration and precision to play them.

No! Sorry simoncoil, I think you are TOTALLY wrong!
Laika composed the songs, so they are NOT complicated fo them to play!!!
So they do not need need so much concentration. And they are precise BECAUSE they simply practiced a lot.
When you hear the live tempo of some songs in the video you can feel that is NO problem for them to play song even in a faster tempo. Which does not mean that a song is better when it is played faster.
(I remember a guitar teacher of mine once he said I have to practise SLOW every day. Then later I could play it in EVERY speed I need. Simple and true.)
But mostly you destroy the real energy of a song when you play it too fast on stage.

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

simoncoil wrote:

UKAY54 wrote:

I must damit, that I don't know anything about it. I just stumbled upon the video on youtube. Since their logo is shown in the beginning my guess would be, that Absolut Live was a spin off from Rockpalast (like the Crossroads show they did in later years, which focused on blues rock). Further investigation might be worthwhile: Some public TV stations as Radio Bremen offer copies from their archives for a reasonable fee. But then again the tapes could also be in the Rockpalast archive...

Thanks for your answer, Simon. I dont' think that "Rockpalast" has anything to do with this. So I asked the internet - "Absolut Live" was a series of live shows in the late 1990s produced and recorded by Radio Bremen in their studio, broadcasted by "N3". I found a list with the original broadcasting dates - 1998.02.05 at 12 pm, length 45 min., and a rerun one day later at 1:15 am. (You need the dates if you want to order a copy at N3 - not really cheap - it costs 35.- €)

Holy sh*t this is amazing! Shock

This is the first time I've seen the bass player have his strap over his left shoulder. Laughing

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

The music sounded very familiar. At first I thought they were miming along to their recording on their live album Laika Sex Machine. But then I pulled out that CD and it says that some tracks were recorded on Absolut Live!

The liner notes to Laika Sex Machine say the Absolut Live recording was done on September 15, 1997.

These guys were at the top of their game here! Worship

UKAY wrote:

"Absolut Live" was a series of live shows in the late 1990s produced and recorded by Radio Bremen in their studio, broadcasted by "N3". I found a list with the original broadcasting dates - 1998.02.05 at 12 pm, length 45 min., and a rerun one day later at 1:15 am. (You need the dates if you want to order a copy at N3 - not really cheap - it costs 35.- €)

Ah, interesting. I was looking myself, but didn't find anything. 35 € is indeed a bit expensive; I guess I am not such a big Laika-fan after all. Wink

HallmarkSweptWinger wrote:

simoncoil wrote:

I think the songs are very complicated and they probably need a lot of concentration and precision to play them.

No! Sorry simoncoil, I think you are TOTALLY wrong!
Laika composed the songs, so they are NOT complicated fo them to play!!!
So they do not need need so much concentration. And they are precise BECAUSE they simply practiced a lot.

Being the composer doesn't necessarily make the songs easy to play. Beethoven for example wrote a lot of music for instruments, although he couldn't even play them (even before he turned deaf). And Schumann needed his wife to play his piano pieces after he ruined his hands with too much practice. Big Razz

simoncoil wrote:

UKAY wrote:

"Absolut Live" was a series of live shows in the late 1990s produced and recorded by Radio Bremen in their studio, broadcasted by "N3". I found a list with the original broadcasting dates - 1998.02.05 at 12 pm, length 45 min., and a rerun one day later at 1:15 am. (You need the dates if you want to order a copy at N3 - not really cheap - it costs 35.- €)

Ah, interesting. I was looking myself, but didn't find anything. 35 € is indeed a bit expensive; I guess I am not such a big Laika-fan after all. Wink

Yes, It's not easy to find anything - the terms "Absolut" and "Live" are no good search terms for search engines, too many hits. Btw. today I got an answer from N3, they don't have the tapes. They told me to ask Radio Bremen. I'll do that, I'm a big Laika-fan.

I finally got to sit and watch the whole thing last night.
WOW!
Impressions,
Duct tape! Holding the keyboard rig together! And the roll standing by on the lower keyboard left.
A lesson on how to use a Jazzmaster/Jag trem.
Pull UP.
Shake.
Absurdistan must have been fresh at the time of this performance.

That album (Absurdistan) was one of the records that brought me back to playing guitar again.

http://www.reverbnation.com/thegreasemonkeyz

Just want to bump this thread. If you have Laika Sex Machine you'll know this is amazing. If you don't... hang out to your hat.

I watched it again. It reminded me why I am a big fan of their work. Smile

Goto Page: 1 2 Next