Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » SurfGuitar101 Website »

Permalink The State of SG101 - News, Updates, Ideas for the Website itself

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 214 15 16 17 18

"Gatekeeping doesn't look good on anybody, so maybe it's your attitude that's helping us "differently communicate."

If I want to call it surf rock, I can call it surf rock. If I want to play it on a Les Paul through a Peavey Classic 50, well, I can do that too."-Chiba

I call that a belligerent and disrespectful reply. Not the way to earn anyone's respect. I think we defintely need some gatekeeping here.

Ugh

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Stormtiger wrote:

"Gatekeeping doesn't look good on anybody, so maybe it's your attitude that's helping us "differently communicate."

If I want to call it surf rock, I can call it surf rock. If I want to play it on a Les Paul through a Peavey Classic 50, well, I can do that too."-Chiba

I call that a belligerent and disrespectful reply. Not the way to earn anyone's respect. I think we defintely need some gatekeeping here.

Damn right. You said it much better than I would have. Dude needs to take a look in the mirror.

Daniel Deathtide

Hey all, just a quick reminder. If you encounter spam, click the little red flag button in the bottom right of the post. Do not reply to the spam thread. If you do, when we nuke the spammer, your posts (and the thread with the shitty title) will remain. That makes more work for me and the moderators. Thank you.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian wrote:

Hey all, just a quick reminder. If you encounter spam, click the little red flag button in the bottom right of the post. Do not reply to the spam thread. If you do, when we nuke the spammer, your posts (and the thread with the shitty title) will remain. That makes more work for me and the moderators. Thank you.

Can I hear an AMEN!?

The forum I moderate has a great tool for dealing with spam. One click and I can check for other users coming from the same IP address, and one more click bans the spammer, deletes all of their posts, gives them leprosy, and curses the next 5 generations of their family. Smile Ok, I’m not sure about the leprosy and the generational curse, but the cleanup function sure makes my life better. Unfortunately, some well-intended members of the forum will quote the spam post, in an attempt to call out the spammer. It’s well intended, but makes cleanup a lot harder, because then I have to delete the post with the quote, in order to get rid of the embedded spam link.

As frustrating as these spammers are, and believe me, I find it as frustrating as anyone does, it pays not to take it personally. Much of it is robotic, and the rest is probably some poor soul in an impoverished country, typing out spam posts for a pittance. Don’t get me wrong, I hate that they do this, but it’s quite impersonal. I look at it as housecleaning, and little more.

The ones I hate are the post that targets some necro-thread, then makes a bland comment like “I had that problem once, but then a found (insert spam link here) and everything got better. I’m pretty sure it’s some kind of AI at play, and I hate AI.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Whoa! I'm glad I checked in when I did...
Brian...I love this site! I know I haven't been active on this forum for a bit but it's great to know this valuable resource is here to discuss and promote surf music!
I'm hoping you find the inspiration and resources to keep it going.

https://kingpelican.bandcamp.com/

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and comments.

There is something wrong with this thread. It isn't rendering all of the page. DaveF do you mind starting a new thread and I'll delete that one?

I'm only seeing Dave's original post and part of Noel's reply. I wonder if the video embed is messing it up.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2023 14:47:45

I noticed that glitch also

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Yes, I tried replying to that thread, but when I hit the submit button everything disappeared except for the posts already there.

The reply count was showing 4 at the time but only 2 were displayed. I see it's now showing 6 replies but still only 2 displayed.

So we just re-submit to the new thread?

Yes, please use the new thread. I'm keeping the old one around to try and figure out what went wrong.

Some news:

As you may recall I had a mini-freakout over closing the site because uploading photos was going to break in June. I have performed the work-around so now photos can continue to be uploaded past June.

My hosting provider raised the rate on my hosting plan. I might try to switch to a cheaper plan since we aren't that busy anymore. But in the meantime you can support the site via PayPal or via Patreon. Thanks!

I am not sure what happened but I also fixed Dave F's original hearing protection thread mentioned above a few posts.

Hey everyone I'm a bit behind on publishing news stories and an upload for the compilation. I hope to get caught up later this week. Been having some annoying health problems that are hopefully temporary.

Best health wishes from the Royal Aces.

Goto Page: Previous 1 214 15 16 17 18