Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » For Sale / Trade »

Permalink In need of a jag

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

I'll provide my personal answer. This Jag is highly desirable to me. And the provenance is irresistible. But, alas, purchasing it means winning the lottery, and I haven't managed that yet. This is true for me about so much of the amazing gear that surfaces here on a regular basis. I would if I could.

I often wonder if sellers mind reading statements like this from me. The best they offer is moral support. And, I keep thinking such an instrument should be really be owned by a performing guitarist so it can be seen and heard.

But yeah, for what it's worth, I'd buy it if I could, without hesitation.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014 16:40:15

SurfSurf wrote:

I'm curious why no comments on the Jaguar I have for sale...any comments why no comments? thanks

No affront meant at all, SurfSurf. I looked a little whistfully at your list. Just out of my range, not that I play in that (or really any) league anyway. I do hope eventually to be able to stumble through some things for my personal pleasure, but I don't need a vintage guitar to do that. It would be almost an insult to it. Really to any guitar, but I'm prepared to do unspeakable things to a guitar in private.

Horax, seriously, for speakable and live purposes, if it would work, see if your wife would consider keyboards. I'm not sure spouses should practice and play together or even just work together as well as live together, but the Front Range could use another rocking keyboardist.

There are a three or four at least, in the retro/garage end of things, but the main one who did any instrumental stuff left town several years ago. Occasionally, the Blue Rider do instrumentals, and their Mark Shoose is pretty wild, so things are not totally dead, but mostly the incumbents are quiet and stay hidden behind others.

As far as that goes, I think you'll do better gigging if you take an eclectic and "modernist" approach to your sound. I think in this area you need a band and a sound that attracts interest more than you need specific things like a jag. A decent keyboardist would do the trick better than a particular guitar, I think, particularly a particular guitar that draws you into a very trad sound. Super traditional and pure is already the tendency with Denver bands, and nobody is doing especially well with it. (Succeeding artistically, yes, in spades, but commercially, no.)

SurfSurf wrote:

I'm curious why no comments on the Jaguar I have for sale...any comments why no comments? thanks

Because the title of the post doesn't say "1965 Fender Jaguar For Sale".

Also, not a lot of people guy vintage guitars on this site, much less a vintage Jag. Jags, while one of my favorites, aren't picked up as much.

As you aren't a dealer, you are asking too much for it. A dealer could, likely, get that much for a guitar in its condition. And it wouldn't sell that quickly for that price. However, as a forum post with non-detailed pictures/description it definitely isn't going to sell at that price.

A quick 'sold listings' search on ebay shows 1965 Jags selling for $2100-2500 all with original parts and most are pre-bound neck. Some of those are even from dealers.

Finish is pretty far gone, it won't appeal to everyone. Other people probably value a finish like that in 'refin' prices.

Sunburst jags, sadly, have always been second class citizens.

Hope it sells! Get it on ebay with a ton of REALLY detailed and high quality photos. Take the neck off, the guitar off, get a picture of the pots, wiring, etc... You don't mention if it has a case either, $300 bucks off right there.

SurfSurf wrote:

It looks ....... used No

Whack

i actually love the look of that sunburst jag...

For me, it comes down to:
1) price
2) ability to take my 66 Gibson in trade

I'd love to keep them all, but I think to get a classic Jag I'd have
to trade my classic Gibson.

Hopefully I have not offended anybody by not making an offer on anything yet...i'ts a process, one that I cannot afford to take lightly.

thanks guys for the comments (craftsmangp was my favorite, ha!). I didn't mean to hijack the "in need of a jag" thread for the purpose of selling mine, I was more curious what the opinions were on this particular Jaguar and perhaps learn what SG101ers' thoughts are on vintage vs. modern, clean vs. relic'd, etc. and also what SG101ers might think about why someone would "not want a jag" anymore and put one up for sale. (I did a similar "in need of a Jag" post when searching for this one a couple years ago).

Its a pretty unusual looking guitar, and the Jaguar being what many think is the quintessential "surf" guitar, was just surprised no comments initially.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014 11:20:30

This is a very tough place to sell vintage or higher-end gear. I've tried as well in the past with no success, even at slightly below market asking prices.

I'm fortunate to have a local vintage guitar shop that gladly takes consignments who has a wide customer base, advertises on Gbase and ebay and his website and handles shipping if needed.

The way it works: He asks "How much will you take?" I tell him. We both know the market. He sells the guitar, bass or amp and I pick up the check. We're both happy. It may take up to 2 or 3 months for him to find a buyer but it's worth the wait and there is zero hassle on my end.

Not all vintage shops work this way. As I said, I'm fortunate to have access to this one.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

yeaH...Vintage guitar shops in Colorado Springs are basically not available.

It's more a vintage AK-47 kind of town.

AMEN TO THAT!!!!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2