Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink What type of cable should I use with the Reverb Unit?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Oh no! Corky!

He got better, so it has been said. Ate a bunch of Pepperoni.

OK, so you guys are having some fun with cable jokes. But the Fender reverb unit really is sensitive to the type of cable used to connect it to an amplifier.

The Fender reverb FAQ should have information on this subject. In short, the cable capacitance loads down the output of the reverb unit. The more you turn up the Mixer control, the more the cable loads down the output and causes highs to be lost. This is the 'tone suck' that some people complain about.

The more capacitance, the more highs are lost. So a shorter cable would be preferred to a long cable. It turns out curly cables have a higher capacitance than a straight cable, so those will cause even more losses. Of course, if you actually want less treble, go ahead and use a long cable or a curly one between your Fender reverb unit and amplifier.

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

BJB wrote:

The Fender reverb FAQ should have information on this subject. In short, the cable capacitance loads down the output of the reverb unit. The more you turn up the Mixer control, the more the cable loads down the output and causes highs to be lost. This is the 'tone suck' that some people complain about.

There was brief mention in the wiki under the description of the Mixer circuit but I added some substance with your words in the troubleshooting section; good concise explanation.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

BJB wrote:

In short, the cable capacitance loads down the output of the reverb unit. The more you turn up the Mixer control, the more the cable loads down the output and causes highs to be lost. This is the 'tone suck' that some people complain about.

...aka the 'Wonderful Warmth of a True Vintage Analog Circuit' that others rave about. Mr. Green

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

My Gibson RV3 (pictured below in its natural home atop my obeast Fender/Altec stack, obviates discussion about cable-out issues as it's hard-wired with its own 2-ft cable (a skinny wire similar to George L's) & fat plug.

photo

BJB wrote:*

OK, so you guys are having some fun with cable jokes. But the Fender reverb unit really is sensitive to the type of cable used to connect it to an amplifier.

The more capacitance, the more highs are lost. So a shorter cable would be preferred to a long cable. It turns out curly cables have a higher capacitance than a straight cable, so those will cause even more losses. Of course, if you actually want less treble, go ahead and use a long cable or a curly one between your Fender reverb unit and amplifier.

Squink Out!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014 22:06:20

Damn I love that pretty blue sparkly thing; still wow'd how cool that came out. Cable? Huh....?

Big Grin

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Go wireless to get that DD sound!

The Hicadoolas

Thanks for the advice.. and the jokes.

To Boldly go where no Tiki has gone before...

artdecade wrote:

Thanks for the advice.. and the jokes.

It was a long winter...
Face Palm

Wes

I looked at the Gibson GA3 RV schematic and while it is very different from the Fender 6G15 circuit, the Gibson looks like it would be sensitive to cable length. The dry signal path looks pretty good but the reverb signal path includes a 220K resistor that could interact with cable capacitance and cause a loss of highs. Unlike the Fender circuit, which can lose highs from the dry signal, the Gibson circuit looks like it would lose highs from the wet signal instead.

http://www.davidsonamp.com/sg/gschemGGA3rv.php

Wow, thanks BJB. I do think the reverb of the unit is rather dark, but it allows me to engage the 'bright' switch on my Twin, or use the Rangemaster clone to pump the top end going into the unit for more punch and a little nasality. I like all the colors I am getting. Maybe someday I may have the good fortune of coming into money to buy a G-spring or Texotic. Until then I must content myself with the Gibson.
Could a mod be wrought on the RV3 circuit to make it brighter?

Squink Out!

The schematic shows R22, a 220K resistor, in series with the output of the reverb recovery amplifier. You could put a small capacitor in parallel with this resistor to pass more highs through to the amplifier. Marshall uses this trick in the bright channel of some of their amps. They used a 500pf cap in parallel with a 470K resistor, so scaling that would mean you would use a 1000pF cap in parallel with the 220K resistor.

But there is a risk that this extra capacitance could load down the dry signal and then you'd lose treble again. There was a time when I would run PSpice simulations before I modded anything but I don't have that kind of time any more. Anyway, it's just one cap and you can attach it with clip leads to see if it works or not.

If you want to see what it looks like when someone does have the time to run amplifier simulations, take a look at this guy:

http://www.tonegeek.com/musicgear/amps/marshall-jmp-50-lead-1987-model.php

FWIW - I use a ProCo LLCN-5. The ground is lifted at the instrument end. My signal chain is pretty quiet, but this helped make it even more quiet.

CUTBACK

Goto Page: Previous 1 2