Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Monsters of Surf CD Review by Noel

Page 1 of 1

Monsters of Surf CD Review by Noel

Buy this record!

In a genre filled with great compilation albums of historic importance, and the best of current artists, this record stands firmly side-by-side with the very best. Monsters of Surf is an amazing, jaw-dropping record of music pushing at the contemporary edges of what it means to be surf music. This isn’t your father’s surf music, and I say that as someone who genuinely loves every note of music played and recorded by the founders of surf music, the artists who kept it alive and revived it, and the proponents of it today. This is that music on steroids, surfing hurricane-generated monster waves. This is powerful, extreme surf, head-banging, boundary-pushing, raucous, dangerous surf. I would never operate a motor vehicle listening to Monsters of Surf unless cruise control was firmly controlling the speed.

Featuring the music and songs of:
Arno De Cea And The Clockwork Wizards - Thalaris
This Machine Kills Robots - Old Man Summer
Pirato Ketchup - Kelly Johnson
The Biarritz Boys - Agent Graves
Terrorist Bengala Party - Pacific Trash Vortex
Necronomikids - A Mountain Climbed Or Stumbled
Threesome - Tellurion
Insect Surfers - Sea Scorpion
The Mystery Men? - The Uncanny Valley
Diablo Pussycats - Squareheads On The Move
The Dead Rocks - Almondega
The Mullet Monster Mafia - Sands Of Little England
El Fossil - Jamtasm
Stronzo Gelantino And The Boo-Men - Level 256
Beware The Dangers Of A Ghost Scorpion! - Satan's Invisible World… Revealed!
Surflamingo - Door to Hyperspace
Dave And The Pussies - Mower
Kill, Baby… Kill! - Duck And Cover
The Mutations - Once Upon A Time At The Beach
Daikaiju - Spiral Serpent Strike
Spaceguards - La Donna D'Oro
Beauty And The Liquidmen - Electric Battle Masterpiece

From the symphonic opening sounds of Thalaris by Arno De Cea And The Clockwork Wizards to the ending of Electric Battle Masterpiece by Beauty and the Liquidmen as the sound drifts off into silence, this album takes the listener on an amazing musical journey to sonic spaces that destroy conventional notions of what surf music is.

So how did this album come about? Santanu (the one in the mask... oh, wait) said, "Basically, the concept was to bring together a bunch of the heavier, fringier, more progressive surf bands. Of course, there are some nods to classic surf sounds in there as well. The excellent Brave New Surf compilation was definitely an inspiration. A number of bands on that collection would have been great candidates for this one, but I wanted this to be its own thing and put the spotlight on some of the more obscure bands out there. I chose some of the songs myself, but for the most part, the bands I approached picked their entries themselves. In a couple of instances ("Pacific Trash Vortex" and "Almondega") the bands went out of their way to record a song specifically for this compilation."

Do I have a favorite song? Every single one! If I finally decide one is it, when I hear the next song, I can’t choose between them. Can I pick out the best song? Every single one! There isn’t a weaker song or less than stellar song in the whole collection. And yet there is so much variety of style, texture, composition, sound and feel that repeat listening only serves to reveal more to hear.

As I keep listening to this record, my initial impression grows stronger; that this isn’t so much a collection of separate songs as it is a single composition assembled from the work of many great contributors. It’s almost a surf symphony with twenty-two short movements. I believe if a combined ensemble could be gathered together to perform every song on this album in a single concert, it would stand firmly among the greatest performances of all time. I’ll go further. The music altogether as it plays creates so many strong impressions, in this listener at least, emotional and visual, that I think it is worthy to be choreographed and danced as a modern ballet. I strongly believe it deserves to be and should be. As I listen I can literally see the ballet unfold in my mind!

This may very well turn out to be the single best surf music recording I’ve ever heard. It is that strong and evocative from beginning to end. And I also believe it belongs in any collection of great modern music in any genre. I keep thinking of one particular composer who revolutionized music in the Twentieth Century; somewhere, I think Stravinsky is smiling.

Congratulations to everyone involved! Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!

On DINGDONG Records
Artwork, Chris Ancarrow
Mastering, Brian Murphree

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014 15:47:21

Great review, Noel. I must say that of all the things Kill,Baby...Kill! have been a part of over the years, being asked to contribute to this compilation serves as the biggest and most humbling honor. There is so much talent on this thing.

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

Wow!, thanks for that review Noel,
I have heard a few tracks from this on NSSR and other shows.
and I have one coming on the way.
But you really got me psyched to get/listen to it.

I like yer idea of it being performed all at once.
The Insect Surfers did most of the Morricone tribute cd awhile back.
Not sure about the Ballet part, but that's just me.
ymmv Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I've edited the review to include the following comment by Santanu about the genesis of the album, which arrived too late to be included initially.

"Basically, the concept was to bring together a bunch of the heavier, fringier, more progressive surf bands. Of course, there are some nods to classic surf sounds in there as well. The excellent Brave New Surf compilation was definitely an inspiration. A number of bands on that collection would have been great candidates for this one, but I wanted this to be its own thing and put the spotlight on some of the more obscure bands out there. I chose some of the songs myself, but for the most part, the bands I approached picked their entries themselves. In a couple of instances ("Pacific Trash Vortex" and "Almondega") the bands went out of their way to record a song specifically for this compilation."

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014 16:08:44

Great Review! Many thanks from Brazil!

Marky Wildstone
www.deadrocks.com.br

Bravo! So much cool stuff coming out, it's hard to keep up with it all. Thanks Noel, for spreading the word. Can't wait to hear it!

Mike

manfromravcon.com

Wow, thanks Noel !

Monkey Ju

Pirato Ketchup
Facebook
Bandcamp

Page 1 of 1