Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink 7th Annual Surf Guitar 101 Convention, Sat. Aug. 9th. Reviews and videos starting on page 15

Goto Page: Previous 1 215 16 17 18 1924 25 Next

I’m going to buck my trend a bit and not wait forever to chime in on this great weekend!

Such an incredible time once again! Fellow Atlanta surf fans Suellen and Surf King Bob were my travel companions and we did our best to make the most out of the weekend and do whatever we could! Completely exhausting, but totally worth it! I truly enjoyed every band I saw. Every year provides a stellar lineup, but this year was just TOPS. The best yet! Some personal highlights in a weekend full of joy:

The Fender Factory Tour! I’m so glad that I could finally work out doing this! Thoroughly enjoyed!
The Hanson BBQ. Always a treat to hang out with everyone and catch up a bit before the whirlwind begins. Big thanks to the Hansons for opening up their home to us all.
The Purple Orchid. I do enjoy that bar! We got there early enough to score a killer seat right up front! It was a fantastic experience, and a great introduction to the European bands live! POWERFUL live performances every time!
Witnessing The Surf Coasters. What a complete joy. I thought I would never have a chance to see them, so I am super grateful that I did… TWICE.
The Boss Martians. I had very little experience with them before this, but I really loved their set! Great energy and a great sound!
Witnessing the reaction to Slacktone from people that hadn’t seen them before. I have now been lucky enough to see them a handful of times and always find the experience downright enrapturing. Seeing the wide-eyed reaction from my friends to this is really quite joyous.
Getting to spend some great time with JonPaul and Marie as well as Josheboy and Jenny. I love these people!

So many thanks to the bands that played all weekend. Every single one a joy to witness. I know the effort it takes to do a weekend like this, and it really is appreciated! I hope you all enjoyed performing as much as I enjoyed witnessing it!

Biggest thanks of all once again goes to Jeff BigTIkiDude Hanson! Your efforts are so greatly appreciated. You put on a monster event that just grows and improves every year. It’s quite the feat! 1001 kudos!

to anyone that hasn’t made this event, START PREPARING FOR IT NOW AND GO. It’s like a big family reunion jam packed with killer music from start to finish. It’s pretty much impossible not to have one of the most memorable experiences of your life!

I’m going through pics and will post them in this thread as soon as I get them out in the world.

Here are some of my photos - some from the Atlantics tribute practice (taken by Brian), and some from Sunday at the Pier. Unfortunately, I really didn't take many photos, this is pretty much it. (BTW, that's Paul AKA ColtsSurf sitting down in the rehearsal room.)

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014 11:46:01

Can you say Super Groups/s?

Awesome, thanks for sharing. Especially for those of us that couldn't make it.

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Thanks, Jeff!

I was able to shoot five videos, too - three of Frankie & the Pool Boys and two of the Surf Coasters, both from the Pier. Unfortunately, I lost my good camera the week before in Milwaukee, so in California I had to use my old camera, which has limited memory and doesn't shoot in HD. But it's better than nothing!

F&TPB kick SERIOUS a$$ on Dead Man Surfin' here!!! I'll upload the rest of the videos next. Enjoy!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014 12:36:20

Here's Frankie & the Pool Boys with "Cap'n Coconuts TV Theme" - with the mighty Dusty Watson on drums, of course!!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Frankie & the Pool Boys on the beach - with "Ewa on the Beach"!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

The Surf Coasters joined by Ferenc on the classic SC original "Dreams".

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Annnndddd... here's the last of my videos - the Surf Coasters playing Yuzo Kuyama's eleki classic "Black Sand Beach" with Ruiko of the Whys sharing lead guitar duties with Shigeo! (Ruiko came along on the trip, just to hang out!)

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

nice

She's really good,
And cute as a button too.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Hey Ivan thanks for catching those videos, really so enjoyable.

I notice Shigeo left a nice message to you all HERE

Thanks for posting the videos Ivan, so great to relive this.

Thanks for the videos Ivan!

I'll start writing a trip report in parts since I'm pressed for time. Hope you can forgive me for writing so much but I want to remember this in a few years.

Brian's Trip Report Part 1: Preliminaries

As always it is a semi-big deal to travel out to California from Iowa. I have to get permission from the family and hope there are no conflicts. This year I again lucked out. This was my 6th convention, missing only 1 so far.

My flight into LAX was uneventful. As I descended the stairs to the baggage claim I see the smiling face of my pal Danny Snyder! Of course I am bursting at the seams knowing about both Danny's surprise and Danny & Lorenzo's gift for Jeff. I'll have to play it cool for a day or two. Danny had arrived a bit earlier and had done some shopping. After retrieving his luggage from a service we head over to meet up with Ivan. Ivan arrives shortly and our party is almost complete. The three of us would be traveling together with Dane from the Madeira for the whole trip. Dane did not get in until later that night so we took a cab to the Purple Orchid area of El Segundo (which is conveniently nearby). We had a great relaxing dinner at an Italian place and then wandered next door to the Purple Orchid to wait for Dane. We had a good time catching up. Dane eventually arrived with the rental car. After having a drink with Dane we headed off to our home base for the week: Don's Turf Motel in Los Alamitos, conveniently located a block or two from the Starting Gate, the site of the convention. I highly recommend this place if you want a cheap, no-frills place to stay. They even had wi-fi this year. While it was spotty in our room it was good enough by the pool.

Don's Turf Motel is very appreciative of the business it gets for the convention and at least one staff person we talked to had made it to previous years. They even had signed photos of The 9th Wave and El Ray in their lobby! Support them!

Thursday morning we had a great breakfast at Gourmet Pie & Pastry just a few blocks away on Katella. This place was awesome and we went there several times during our trip. Just a damn good American style breakfast, and they were fast and efficient. After hanging out at the hotel for a bit Dane then went off to visit family nearby. Danny, Ivan, and I met up with Paul Wayne (ColtsSurf) to visit Danny's favorite lunch spot, Canter's Deli in Fairfax, and then onto a vintage guitar store. We would then go to the Atlantics Tribute rehearsal. We had a great time getting to know Paul on the way and at Canter's. Unfortunately the infamous LA traffic caused us to skip the trip to the guitar store as we had to meet Jonpaul for Atlantics practice. D'oh. Paul dropped us off at Jonpaul's practice space near downtown LA. Here we got to witness the 4 musicians run through the songs for the first time together. It was really cool seeing these guys work out their parts and go over the rough spots. It was quite evident everyone had done their homework so all that was required was to integrate everyone's parts together. It sounded remarkable, and many jokes were made about Danny playing a strat through a Marshall. The guys made me do the shark warning bell on a cowbell during Shark Attack. Fun!

Okay I'm out of time for now so I'll continue later starting with Thursday night, our first of the pre-shows: Alex's Bar in Long Beach featuring Threesome, The Kilaueas, and The Danny Amis All Star Band.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014 21:08:37

Brian wrote:

I'll start writing a trip report in parts since I'm pressed for time. Hope you can forgive me for writing so much but I want to remember this in a few years.
<snip>

Love your tour reports, Brian! Keep 'em coming.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

More cowbell Brian, More cowbell....nice to have met you in yet another city Brian, and pleasure meeting Paul and Danny for the first time in the pool courtyard with Ivan. I knew yer all up,to something....great time had by all.

Don't Fear the Reverb ! Grateful Surf ! SURFIN' Tiki Bandits !
I can be reached through the following or at don@donschott.com. :

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

The Ding Dong Devils
Thursday, Aug 7, Alex's Bar in Long Beach
Their third cd Space Fezcapade out very soon
https://www.facebook.com/dingdongdevils

The Danny Amis All Stars, Alex's Bar

Oh how jealous I am of all you folks... Having been to a couple conventions I know the weekend is a whirlwind, and it sounds like this one was above and beyond! Thanks for all the reports and videos, it sounds like a blast! I've gotta make it out to the next one...

Ok here is my first video for the jam sessions.
Dark Eyes
Players are

Maxx - Lead Guitar (Eddie Bertrand's guitar)
bIG wAvE Dave Becker - Bass Guitar
Scotty Bravo - Drums
Bruce Breington - Rhythm Guitar

midwestsurfguy wrote:

Ok here is my first video for the jam sessions.
Dark Eyes
Players are

Maxx - Lead Guitar (Eddie Bertrand's guitar)
bIG wAvE Dave Becker - Bass Guitar
Scotty Bravo - Drums
Bruce Breington - Rhythm Guitar

That was truly an honor to have used Eddie Bertrand's Jaguar for that song. I wonder if anyone else got that on video.

Goto Page: Previous 1 215 16 17 18 1924 25 Next