Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink 6th Annual Surf Guitar 101 Convention, Sat. Aug. 10th, 2013, Reviews, vids, pics start on page 13

Goto Page: Previous 1 217 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next

I'm really glad you chimed in Ivan, I remembered some stuff that I had forgotten, including Danny's awesome version of Voodoo Juice! I hope some other people post their memories.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

There is really not much I can add that Brian and Ivan haven't already said - I spent a good portion of the weekend hanging with them. The main things I would add would be that the Purple Orchid was much more authentic looking than I was led to believe before going there. The drinks weren't terribly authentic, but they were tasty and STRONG!

The Starting Gate, while in a strip mall far away from the ocean, is really the perfect set up for SG101. Good capacity - maybe holds 500 people or so, with a large stage, good sound system, and a large area for the vendors. I had a table set up with all the latest Double Crown merch, which was great because I had a chance to chat with many long-time customers and fans of the label. I also got to share my table with Lee of Dionysus Records - so great to meet him for the first time. Dionysus was one of the first labels to advertise in the Continental Magazine, about 16 years ago, and his label is one of the reasons I became such a fan of surf/garage/rockabilly music. Such a nice guy - hopefully we can vend together at future events.

Being tied to the merch table, I didn't get to see the entire set of any of the bands (except The Penetrators and El Caminos), but did see most of them and it really was the perfect mix of styles - trad, modern, garagy, laid-back. Just a lot of variety. It was also great to meet so many people throughout the day. My apologies to anyone if I wasn't overly chatty - just had a lot going on, between the merch table and watching the bands. I had a chance to talk to many of the people Ivan and Brian mentioned, as well as Frankie from The Volcanics. He gave me an update on their new CD (due out in September), and could hardly contain his excitement about their new recordings. I'm a huge fan of their first CD, so this was exciting news to me!

The show at Huntington Beach was amazing - such a great venue for surf music. It gave me goosebumps hearing all that reverb, with surfers and sand as a backdrop. I have to thank Martin as well - he warned me that I was looking a bit sunburnt. I applied more sunscreen, and while his warning came a bit too late, it could have been much worse. Thanks Martin!

I knew the SG101 Convention was something I had to do at least once, and while other years had bands that I would have loved to see, this year just seemed like the right year, for many reasons. Once the Penetrators tribute set was announced, with Trace and Stix coming, that pretty much sealed it for me. It was so fun and rewarding though, in so many ways, that I'm going to work hard to make it down again.

Big thanks to Jeff, Kristina and everyone else involved with putting this together - you have a great thing going, and hopefully it'll continue for many years to come!!!

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

One thing I left out about the Convention show and the Starting Gate (and the HB pier show, as well) - this year the main guitar amps were two Gomez Surfers - one put through a Gomez 2x15" cab (stage right) and one put through TWO Gomez 1x15" cabs (stage left) - talk about a STACK! I believe the latter setup belonged to Ran M., but I'm not sure who owned the former. I've GREATLY enjoyed playing through the vintage blonde/brownface Showmans in previous years that Matt Quilter always very generously and kindly provided, but the Surfers this year were every bit their equals, I think. As a lucky owner of one myself, it was a very pleasurable experience playing out of those monsters! I certainly felt at home. Smile Loud and proud, baby! It was good to see Dario Gomez there, too, and have a chance to talk to him. He seemed very proud of the amps on stage! Dario, once again, you really did an amazing job with those amps! Thank you for your efforts, there are quite a few of us that appreciate them.

Oh, BTW, Eddie Bertrand's monster Quad Reverb (now owned by Tim Ferrill, and thoroughly serviced recently) was among the available amps, though I didn't get a chance to play that one. AND Bruce from the (San Francisco) Bay Area, formerly of the Reef Riders, brought Eddie's vintage white Jag with him - I had no idea that this very special guitar, which Eddie played almost exclusively for the last few years of his life, has stayed in the community and is now owned by an SG101er!! That was damn good news! He let anybody play it that asked, and I was among them, though not through an amp. It felt really good - and I'm not a Jag guy!

Anyway, just a couple of notes for the gearheads....

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013 18:52:42

SG101 convention after-party @ The Juke Joint, Anaheim CA

After the convention ended we limped back to our hotel room. Ivan and I were joined by Sean Berry, Danny Snyder, and Robert, a fellow SG101'er and guitar student of Danny's. We relaxed in the hotel room for maybe 45 minutes or an hour, just shooting the breeze, talking about what we just witnessed, and ooh-ing and aah-ing over Ivan's new strat. What a great time with great people! We finally got enough strength back to head towards the after-party (it was either that or just collapsing and going to sleep).

Arriving at the venue I think the Tequila Worms had just started and they opened with a powerful version of Miserlou. It was loud and impressive, even outside. I'm not sure we could've taken the 'Worms in the shape we were in, so we asked Jeff where the nearest food was. Jeff pointed up the street so we grabbed some authentic Mexican fast food. This was crucial, otherwise I would have collapsed.

Returning to the venue we listened to the 'Worms wrap up outside and had a good chat with Unsteady Freddie about his experiences at Surfer Joe in Italy.

We then filed into the venue and stood and waited. To be honest I was dead tired and really in no mood for any more live music. The floor was incredibly sticky too, which was very gross. So hot, sticky, and tired we waited for the Danny Amis All-Stars to start. We soon saw Lorenzo get behind the kit, Carlos from the Tequila Worms on bass, and John Blair get up on stage. Finally there was a murmur behind me and I turned around to see Danny Amis, clad in his usual blue and silver Lucha Libre mask, and an equally impressive silver shiny suit and pants set. I had not seen Danny in several years and I noticed he was considerably shorter and had gained a lot of weight. His suit reminded me of the giant suit David Byrne wore in that Talking Heads movie. It was really wide on him, and looked very hot. Apparently he lost some height due to his terrible illness. I got kind of worried. But when he took the stage, delivered his usual rapid fire Spanish banter, and played the living hell out of his guitar, I knew instantly Danny was alright and presumably very happy to be on this side of existence. I know I was so happy to see him, and I was very glad I came out for this. Like Ivan said, the band seemed to play a mixture of Los Straitjackets / Jon & The Nightriders tunes (maybe 60/40?) with a smattering of kick ass covers. Everyone in the audience was loud and dancing, it was a truly amazing experience. The band was on fire and sounded wonderful even though I think they had maybe 1 full practice with all the members together (I think Danny and John rehearsed more at Tim BigKahuna's house). Anyway, it was truly a surf music fan's dream. Hot, sweaty, sticky reverb played at high volume and with crazy Spanish patter between numbers. It really made my heart swell with joy. I loved it! All the band members sounded amazing and I think they only got lost once or twice! I can't say enough about the exceptional playing and high energy songs. What a joy to see and hear.

Please John, or Lorenzo, if you are out there, please tell us how this super-group came about and the story behind it. It was amazing.

When it was over, we shuffled zombie-like into the night air, traded sleepy goodbyes with Jeff and a few other people with promises to see each other in just a few hours at the HB pier. It wasn't over yet!

To be continued...

i was watching danny amis's eyes through his mask and a couple of times thought he was going to face plant off the stage. he had to of been roasting in that plastic suit and mask. a fun mixed set of tunes.

that mexican 'fast food' place down the street was killer.

www.surfintheeye.com

Yes, like Brian said - we were all dead tired after the SG101 Convention and it took everything we had to get to the Juke Joint. However, I'm so happy that we did! The mexican restaurant down the street was awesome (even though they didn't have a veggie option on the menu, they put together a veggie burrito for me - one of the best I've ever had!). That, and a big bottle of Mexican Coke, brought me back up to speed and all tiredness faded away with the energy of the Danny Amis All-Stars. What an incredible, full day of surf rock it was!

I hope all of you reading our recollections here will seriously consider attending next year. If you're a member of this board, I have absolutely no doubt you'll have the time of your life at one of the conventions!

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

Double-Crown-Records wrote:

I hope all of you reading our recollections here will seriously consider attending next year. If you're a member of this board, I have absolutely no doubt you'll have the time of your life at one of the conventions!

Yes!! If all your interactions with SG101 are through the gear forum, you are missing a lot!

Brian wrote:

Yes!! If all your interactions with SG101 are through the gear forum, you are missing a lot!

Dead Thread

IMO.

Thanks Ivan, Brian, and Sean!
I'm reading and loving the reviews.
And smiling from ear to ear.
I'm laying here in a bed at a motel6, 7 am,
In San Diego, after tiki oasis weekend.
Lorenzo just left a few hours ago for a 5 am
Flight home to Italy.
I am completely wiped out.
Shows every day from Wed Aug 7th till Sun 18th.
2 shows on sat n sun of convention weekend.
I'm so glad I have today off!

Brian n Sean.
I can't say how happy I am/was that you 2
We're able to attend this year.
I know that sometimes life gets in the way.
But I really hope you guys can come to more
Of these.
I got some great praise for the convention in person
Here at Tiki Oasis as well. I am really happy
How well this years sg101 came off.
Thanks a million to
A. The bands,
B. the fans,
C. The sponsors
D. Kristena and Jonpaul for all their help and advice
And words of encouragement, when I'm pulling my hair out,
Wondering why I do this every year.
Already working on next years line up.

But first.....
Winter surf fest jan 2014!!!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I heavily doubt anybody here is not considering it right now! I would love to come to one of these conventions myself some time, but looking at my financial situation of the years to come I don't really see it happening.

But never the less thanks for all the reports and recollections everybody! I can't imagine another community, where people put that much effort in just reporting on events like this. And even simply reading about it is a lot of fun, just because you know that things like this actually take place somewhere...

And special thanks for the short report on the situation of Eddie's Jaguar. I remember being quite upset, when it looked like the guitar would go to some private collector never to be seen again. It's good to know it didn't.

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Dates. We want dates. And rum drinks. And chics, man.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013 18:17:21

Chippertheripper wrote:

Damn I suck at using this forum.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013 18:16:37

Dates?
The date for next years SG101 convention
Will probably be Sat. Aug. 9th.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Sticks and I would like to thank the SG101 convention for allowing us to be a part of this awesome event. In particular, BTD, for setting us up at the Starting Gate and HB Pier. It was monumental and an experience we will never forget. Thanks for all the kind words and camaraderie from friends both new and old. I would like to personally thank Sean at Double Crown Records for all that he has done for us and the surf instro scene throughout the years, and it was great to see you in person again. Maybe its time to do another Surfin' Surfari USA tour again!?! Ha.
It was fun seeing so many great Instrumental bands with so many different styles and sounds. Along with Crispy's InstroSummit in NC, I can see and hear that the scene is alive and strong as ever. So many great bands!!
Lastly, We have to thank Eddie and Ivan for coming up with this idea of a Tribute to Spanky and Rip. We're biased, but believe they deserved it. They are both larger than life and we miss them dearly. Eddie and Ivan proved yet again what great guitarist they are and deserve all the accolades we can give them. They learned our songs, practiced 1 time in a hotel room last July, and pulled off 3 unbelievable performances! Thanks Guys!
Again, Thanks SG 101!!

Trace Luger 017
PS Keep up the good work Maxx....

Fender Bass, Small Firearms

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013 13:04:42

Trace,
It was an extreme pleasure having you guys
There to do it.
And very good to finally meet you.
I felt that Rip n Spanky were looking down
Seeing you guys playing at the HB pier show
With big grins on their faces.

Hope to see you and Stix in the future.
Cheers, Skol,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude wrote:

Dates?
The date for next years SG101 convention
Will probably be Sat. Aug. 9th.

Noted.

Another reason to come out to the convention besides the music: the camaraderie between your fellow SG101'ers. I'm proud to call these two fine gentlemen friends (even if Rick sleeps while standing up):

Homerhead (Rick S), Me, Tuck (John K).

Photo by Big Wave Dave Becker.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013 18:06:30

I am back home! Fantastic time in California, THANKS to all the friends that I have met again, hope to see you very soon. This has really been an incredible time.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

Thanks for bearing with me, folks. Keeping in mind what Brian has just said about SG101 friendships, I encourage you all to look through my picture collection from the SG101 SoCal events. Many of you will see yourselves and more than just performers.

I thank those who took shots that I happen to be in.

There are several hundred pics organized here. Feel free to use or repost whatever you like and if appropriate, I ask a credit. Hope I captured the "spirit" of the events. Enjoy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95601762@N00/collections/72157635159278103/

bIG wAvE Dave Becker
Bass, BroDaddy, Aquamarines
SG101! SG101!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013 20:32:18

Penetrators tribute at the pier, opening with "Checkpoint Echo".
Ivan & Eddie from the Surge on guitars.

Goto Page: Previous 1 217 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next