Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink Instro Summit 2013, May 3rd-5th, Durham, NC

Goto Page: Previous 1 213 14 15 16 17 Next

They are great!

Here are the highlights from Sunday - photo blog

I am uploading all the Sunday pics to Photobucket so I should have that link tomorrow.

Stacy

More stunning photographs!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

There’s not really too much more to add considering everyone has given such great reviews and impressions of the weekend. It’s so great to see so many wonderful people again! Once again Crispy has outdone himself putting together one of THE events of the year! GREAT new venue!! It gets bigger and better every year!

I’ll also chime in to mention that the true highlight of the weekend was The Penetrators tribute. So incredibly moving. I never met Rip, but I knew Spanky in his last couple of years, and from what I saw, these guys are worth all of the fuss that this tribute provides. I find it great to note not the feeling of loss, but the powerful sense of friendship that these guys clearly had. That tightness comes across not only in their music, but what it means to people. Once again makes me hate that I came to this scene later than others. What a history to be a part of, and right in my backyard! I’m really glad to know them now. It was so great to see these guys taking all of the great music in over the weekend. I really had a wonderful time hanging out with them (same with The Aqualads! Those dudes can go the DISTANCE!). Trace and Sticks truly are salt of the earth, and I’m proud to call them friends.

Taking Friday off of work to travel and play means that Sunday, once again, had to be a travel home day, so I couldn’t catch the show that night. I didn’t see a stinker of any sort all weekend. Even Blood Red River, which really isn’t my thing so much, was raucous fun and really won me over. I love that they took their counter programming nature so seriously! Now, I’ve seen most of the bands before, and it was just more greatness from all, though WAY more new music! Particularly The Madeira and The Atomic Mosquitos… I’m really looking forward to a new release based on what I heard!! Of the bands I hadn’t seen before, The Diamondheads were really standouts to me. I was mesmerized the entire time I watched them! Great trad sound, with incredible musicianship! Also of note was Arrows Out. I didn’t know what to expect from them (wasn’t optimistic for some reason), but they were DREAMY good! It put me in a really great place, and started of the Saturday really well! I REALLY look forward to them getting some recording done! I’ll snatch it up in a heartbeat! I’ll also say that I’m SOOO glad that Beware The Dangers Of A Ghost Scorpion not only made it onto the lineup, but were SO well received. They’re worth it! Great band!

On a personal note, I want to thank Eddie Katcher for including me in his Astronauts tribute. GREAT fun!! Can’t wait to do it again in California! Also wanted to send a big thanks out to Fady (OnslowBeach) and Mike (Morphball) for letting use their awesome Gomez amps and tanks! Talk about a pleasure to play through!!

I will look forward to this event as long as it exists! The Mystery Men? had their most fun this year, and will continue to participate as long as we are welcome! I'm hoping to have pictures and videos up soon!

MAJOR kudos, Crispy!!

IvanP wrote:

...the Mystery Men, with Chad of the Squares on third guitar celebrating his one year anniversary with the band, were EPIC! I was blown away. They delivered a powerful and supertight set with a bunch of new songs that were uniformly at least very good and some of them outright incredible. I cannot wait for their next CD!

Thank you so much, Ivan!! You don’t know what all of the praise from everyone means to us! We’re so excited that the response to the new lineup and material has been so overwhelmingly positive!

Moon_Dawg wrote:

The top highlight of my weekend was hanging out at the Saturday morning hotel-room practice session for the Penetrators tribute. You can all hear how boss it turned out -- mighty thanks to Sonic Chris for videos. It was beyond great to see Trace and Sticks still looking good and hear them still playing rock-solid.

eddiekatcher wrote:

Like Moon Dawg said, Rehearsal up at my room Saturday mid day was a monumental experience. There is no greater love for this music than was shared by those present. (except for maybe Noel)

This is also worth noting. This was a really special small moment that I was very fortunate to be present for. The vibe in that room was magical!

CrispyGoodness wrote:

Discovering the following morning that the Intoxicators–not to mention the Mystery Men?, Monterreys, and others–had discovered the deep-fried joys of Honey’s, Durham’s favorite 24 hour diner. I’ve referred to the Intoxicators as “The Waffle House of Surf”, and knew that Honey’s, with it’s “Biscuits the size of a Cat’s head” was made for them.

This place is now legendary! Not only was it a GREAT breakfast, but the service staff was amazing! It was THEE greatest way to end the weekend!

Tuck wrote:

The Mystery Men?

(their set closer)

That song is "Preparation: Space". Thanks so much for posting! Great to see you in attendance once again!

rsfmotoman wrote:

Thanks for the compliments guys! I do my best to take good pics for us fans to see and for bands to use in order to support the surf community.

Absolutely FANTASTIC photos once again from Renner Photography! I’m so glad you were there!

Great photos, thanks so much for sharing!

MadScientist wrote:

Also wanted to send a big thanks out to Fady (OnslowBeach) and Mike (Morphball) for letting use their awesome Gomez amps and tanks! Talk about a pleasure to play through!!

It was even more of a pleasure hearing you guys play through them... WOW.

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Thanks for the great photos Mr. Fenner, as always! Can we use some for photo of the day here?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Sure can Brian, download any photo you want!

Here are all of Sunday's images - Photobucket

Stacy

Last edited: May 15, 2013 20:21:02

Stacy, are there any pics from the Saturday Rumble Jam? Thanks!

Let me look Noel!

EDIT: Here it is Noel - Rumble Jam Pic

Not a very good one...sorry.

Stacy

Last edited: May 15, 2013 21:38:20

rsfmotoman wrote:

Let me look Noel!

EDIT: Here it is Noel - Rumble Jam Pic

Not a very good one...sorry.

It's great, Stacy. Thanks. Makes me look like I know what I'm doing up there. Big Grin

Last edited: May 15, 2013 22:04:28

Finally finding the time to get all the Instro Summit DVD's, packages, and checks ready for mailing this afternoon. Also finally finding time to listen to the CD's I got from the same festival. Tedium is much easier when you have the Penetrators percolating in the background.

--Crispy

Everyones' DVD's and money are finally in the mail. That took WAY too long this year. Totally my fault, too: I had to move right after the Summit was finished, and never bothered to ask if the home I moved into was internet ready. (it wasn't. Even remotely.).

Well, now that this booger is finally in the bag, I guess I have to start pondering what we'll do in 2014. Any thoughts on music, sponsors, and other ideas will be considered. I'm also considering getting someone else to help me with the day-to-day assembly of this festival; I'm old, tired and poor, and I'm starting to be really reminded of these things as of late...

--Crispy

CrispyGoodness wrote:

Everyones' DVD's and money are finally in the mail. That took WAY too long this year. Totally my fault, too: I had to move right after the Summit was finished, and never bothered to ask if the home I moved into was internet ready. (it wasn't. Even remotely.).

No worries at all, Crispy! We know how much blood, sweat and tears you put into this, not to mention the challenges you had to deal with directly after. Consider all of this, I'm actually kind of awed that you got all of this handled this soon after. Kudos once again, sir!

GrandFoobah wrote:

El Capitan and the Band With No Name may be an option for Saturday, with El Cap and a couple of Intoxicators backing. Might work out perfectly. I (Gary of The Intoxicators) am doing bass duty for El Cap, and the songs are awesome.

I saw El Cap open for Dick Dale at The Earl and I thought they were great. I'd like to buy one of their CDs, which I neglected to do at the gig, but I can't find any site for doing so. I don't live in ATL, but I could send a friend to a gig if I could find a schedule!

ptyrider wrote:

I saw El Cap open for Dick Dale at The Earl and I thought they were great. I'd like to buy one of their CDs, which I neglected to do at the gig, but I can't find any site for doing so. I don't live in ATL, but I could send a friend to a gig if I could find a schedule!

As far as I know, the next time they are playing is at Drive-Invasion on Labor Day weekend, though that lineup is still being worked out. Unfortunately, they play very sporadically, and there's no good place to go for info. :-/

That was a fun show. I actually switched to 3rd chair guitar for that one.
James is going to get up and play a song with us (The Intoxicators) at Rockabilly Luau in August (ATL), and I imagine he'll bring CDs, but I'll ask him. The CD is much surfier than the spaghetti western thing we had going on for the DD show. He really needs to get some distribution. That's one of my favorite records of last year.

http://www.reverbnation.com/theintoxicators

Tnx for your replies, MadScientist and GrandFoobah. I'm waiting for the lineup at Drive Invasion. Pls do ask James to bring some CDs. If either of these will work out, I'll get a friend to attend and buy the CD. I really liked the spaghetti western thing; there's a lot of surf music out there, but not much great surf-laced spaghetti westen mix such as El Cap created that night at The Earl.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013 23:34:56

FINALLY got around to getting pictures of the weekend up! Please to enjoy...

Friday
Saturday
General trip

Lots of good pictures of a fun weekend. Thanks for sharing.

When is the next one?

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Skippy and the Skipjacks: 2018-
Skippyandtheskipjacks.net
https://www.facebook.com/skippyandtheskipjacks
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-2015
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007