Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink Instro Summit 2013, May 3rd-5th, Durham, NC

Goto Page: Previous 1 212 13 14 15 16 17 Next

Thanks Tuck!

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

We had a great time at the summit! We couldn't be there for the whole thing, but the bands we did see all gave stellar performances. We had a couple of technical glitches at the begining of our set(including a really noisy ground loop), but it all came together and we really enjoyed playing. It was a pleasure to meet all of you in person and to see some familiar faces again. The venue was great, and Crispy did an outstanding job putting this on. Hope we can make it next year.

https://www.facebook.com/coffindagger
http://coffindaggers.com/
http://thecoffindaggers.bandcamp.com

we loved playing the summit. awesome to meet a few folks and catch up with some new friends as well. we're upset that we kind of had to rush in and out in one day but we squeezed the trip in very last minute as we were late additions (ps, thanks noah and jamie, and of course crispy) and had to get everybody back for work and boring things like that. but we had a blast for the short time we were there, and i loved getting to see some live shows of bands i had only heard on record before. the intoxicators were so awesome. as were the coffin daggers and the atomic mosquitoes, who we had the pleasure of sharing two nights with. thanks again to crispy for putting together a hell of a weekend.

ghostscorpion.com
btdoags on facebook

Sonichris wrote:

Penetrators Tribute Playlist

Here's the i-phone video I shot of The Penetrators Tribute - sorry for the video quality,(and the sideways "Red Sunrise") but I think the sound is pretty decent.

Thanks Chris,
That was great, and moving too.
Can't wait to see it in person.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I just want to say as a distant observer a big congratulations to Crispy and I am so envious of everyone who got to go. Maybe next year...

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian wrote:

I just want to say as a distant observer a big congratulations to Crispy and I am so envious of everyone who got to go. Maybe next year...

Here here What Brian said.
3 days of different bands seems like a huge headache
To me. 9 at one day, then 5 of them before n after
Is enough to make me nuts.
I too hope to make it to Instro Summit one year.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

What I've seen is that there's always people to pitch-in and help. I hung banners, loaned cables, carried gear, setup sound for who-ever trusted me with their or my amp, whatever I was asked. It was my pleasure and I wasn't alone. It's like a giant family reunion is the best way I can describe it. Except we all get along. I haven't seen an ego stand out in 2 years among all the hundreds of artists, families, friends and fans that I've met.

I grew up among professional musicians and this wonderful group of Crispy's friends reminds me of those days among my dad's friends.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

I hung banners, loaned cables, carried gear, setup sound for who-ever trusted me with their or my amp, whatever I was asked. It was my pleasure and I wasn't alone.

Noel hands down was the Instro Summit's biggest cheerleader this past weekend. He was there before doors opened each day, and there after we closed up shop each night, in between doing all that he said, plus buying up merch, going out of his way to praise every single band (and me for booking them), letting people noodle with his gear, and offering helpful thoughts and suggestions to anyone and everyone, smiling the whole time His enthusiasm never ceased to amaze me (especially as I became more weary from the long hours and lack of sleep!). I salute you, brother!

And now on an unrelated subject:

RAFFLE BONUS ALERT!! Raffle winner Mouse Mock has told me he doesn't want his prize (he's not a guitar player) and that I should put it up for auction!

Here it is: From Stewart-MacDonald, A Golden Age '63 Strat-style body made from Southern Swamp Ash, and three Golden Age pickups, worth over 300 bucks.

Here's a link to pic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12169575@N06/8718666441/in/photostream

Those interested may email me at instrosummit@gmail.com with their bid. Highest bid by Sunday, May 14th at 8pm EST gets it. I'll even throw in a size Large DiPinto T-shirt and a Killer Filler CD for no additional charge.

--Crispy

One more thing...

Anyone who took photos: if you don't mind, private message me with your email; I want to pass y'all along to the bands so's they can get a gander at your work.

--crispy

Re: Penetrators keyboardist. Robert "Rowbear" Huffman of the High Fidelics, but he was billed as "Bobby Corvair" when he worked with the Penetrators.

www.reverbnation.com/thehighfidelics

I'm looking for photographs or video of Jamie Galatas and I dancing to The Intoxicators, or of Johnny Stewart dancing with Infinity of Team Void. I think I'm jealous. Big Grin

IvanP wrote:

Sonichris wrote:

Penetrators Tribute Playlist

Here's the i-phone video I shot of The Penetrators Tribute - sorry for the video quality,(and the sideways "Red Sunrise") but I think the sound is pretty decent.

Oh my God, these are FANTASTIC, Chris!!!! Thank you so very much for shooting them and posting them so soon! I love them!

Oh man! These are great. Thank you so much for posting them Sonichris.

I cannot think of any better persons to sub for Rip & Spanky than Eddie and Ivan. I can only imagine the emotions in the room during the set. It certainly hit me pretty hard just watching the video.

So sorry I couldn't make the event, but family obligations control life sometimes.

Woody D
S3 #148
Henrico Va

Quick thoughts,

Sharing a stage with those three legends takes one to places where, I never knew there were places.

I feel sure our emotional inertia will continue on to California! What great music..................what GREAT people.

My buds in the Anauts Tib were all simply amazing. Like Moon Dawg said, Rehearsal up at my room Saturday mid day was a monumental experience. There is no greater love for this music than was shared by those present. (except for maybe Noel)

Thanks to all for such kind words. And Thanks again Crispy, thanks a LOT!

Details to follow.

Best Reverbs!

eddie k

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Here's my first step into the water.

The seven hour trip (one way) was a last minute decision. I really wanted to see The Diamondheads, The Atomic Mosquitos, Madeira and The 9th Wave. Their shows were even better than expected. I had seen 9th Wave on YouTube but that does not do them justice. You must be there to get the whole effect. That was one unexpected surprise. Another was The High Fidelics, which I had never heard of. Is there other CDs?. The Penetrators Tribute alone was worth the trip.

The only regret is I did not last the entire weekend. Did manage to see all except the last one Friday, the last three on Saturday and none on Sunday. I did purchase over $200 in CDs, records and one DVD. One mistake I almost made was not buying the Killer Filler CD, which I also had never head of. I made an informative decision to purchase it because I have an amp like the one on the cover. Turns out, this CD may be one of my favorites. One problem-now I can't get "Tintarella Di Luna" out of my head. If only I could have seen the show. Right now I'm listening to The Mystery Men?. That is another good surprise. There were many other great shows but others have already mentioned them. Instead of dwelling on what I missed, I'm gonna sit here and keep listening to the nuggets brought back. Before long I'll start thinking about bands that may be there next year I don't know about.

Thanks for taking the time, and I'm sure expense, to put the Instro Summit together.

I posted this on the Summit Facebook page, but thought it belongs here, too.

The entire three days was extraordinary. What Crispy has done is amazing! The great music, the old friendships and new friendships and wonderful times will linger with me until next year's 2014 Summit. If there's someone I didn't meet, I wish I had, so come again next year and look me up if I don't find you first.

Crispy Bess, I salute you! And thanks to everyone who made this one of the best times of my life.

Moon_Dawg wrote:

The top highlight of my weekend was hanging out at the Saturday morning hotel-room practice session for the Penetrators tribute.

It was great having you there, Moon Dawg! It really felt like the old times... For me, one of my favorite moments came right after that practice session, while the Astronauts tribute guys were practicing their set inside the room (and providing a great soundtrack!), and you, Trace, Sticks and I were standing just outside the room enjoying the mild weather and reminiscing about the old times as well as remembering Rip and Spanky. I loved every moment of that. It was like being reunited with family.

You can all hear how boss it turned out -- mighty thanks to Sonic Chris for videos. It was beyond great to see Trace and Sticks still looking good and hear them still playing rock-solid.

Here, here! Sticks of course played in the Surge and some other bands, but this was the first time Trace has played surf music since Spanky's passing. But damn, they both played SO WELL! Like no time had passed at all...

(I don't think I'd seen them since Rip's funeral ten years ago.) Great to spend time with Ivan, as always, and with Dane, Todd, and Patrick of The Madeira.

Thanks very much, Larry, and the same to you. It really was wonderful to have you there!

woodz-dog wrote:

Oh man! These are great. Thank you so much for posting them Sonichris.
I cannot think of any better persons to sub for Rip & Spanky than Eddie and Ivan. I can only imagine the emotions in the room during the set. It certainly hit me pretty hard just watching the video.

Thanks very much, Woody! So sorry that you couldn't make the event, but thank God for the videos. However, the emotions in the room were definitely powerful, and I don't know if the video can do justice to that....

I noticed that Trace's, Eddie's, and my guitars was red, white and blue, which was unplanned but seems truly apropos - I don't think there's been a more all-American surf band since the '60s than the Penetrators !

Thanks all, again.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Noel wrote:

I posted this on the Summit Facebook page, but thought it belongs here, too.

The entire three days was extraordinary. What Crispy has done is amazing! The great music, the old friendships and new friendships and wonderful times will linger with me until next year's 2014 Summit. If there's someone I didn't meet, I wish I had, so come again next year and look me up if I don't find you first.

Crispy Bess, I salute you! And thanks to everyone who made this one of the best times of my life.

Agree Worship Worship Worship Headbang

THANK YOU, CRISPY!!!! Here's hoping you've caught up a bit on sleep and rest!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I just saw that there were a few more videos posted on Facebook of the Penetrators tribute that feature Bobby Corvair on keyboards a bit more. I'll link here though I don't know if the links will work, but worth a shot:

Guns Don't Argue
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=580004795365365&set=vb.232563456776169&type=2&theater

Wind Beneath My Kilt
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151395521247060&set=vb.232563456776169&type=3&theater

Southern Surf Syndicate Theme/The Wedge
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151395787022060&set=vb.232563456776169&type=3&theater

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

The Surge @ Instro Summit 2013

here's some video of The Surge. I didn't get all the names of the songs, so any help would be appreciated...

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

So, I decided to go read a bit of the Shallow End, and came across this post of mine from three years ago. Wow. Now it's (mostly) come true. Amazing.

http://surfguitar101.com/forums/post/167370/

(For Tim Ferrill: http://surfguitar101.com/forums/post/241126/ Tim, you'll get your wish in August!)

And just for shits and grins, this is just brilliant, classic Twangler and Thrillby: http://surfguitar101.com/forums/post/178279/ (Ed, are you paying attention??)

Brian or anybody, have Rip's Shallow End entries ever found a permanent home on the web?

Two of Sticks' videos from Saturday....

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Goto Page: Previous 1 212 13 14 15 16 17 Next