Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink Instro Summit 2013, May 3rd-5th, Durham, NC

Goto Page: Previous 1 211 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next

I just don't know how Ivan does it. He travelled farther, did so much more and still managed to write a nice summary of his experiences at the Summit before I even get home. And he even played another show. It MUST be because he's young. Big Grin Of course, it helps that he's brilliant! I'm totally beat and still gathering my thoughts.

It's an honor for me to be accepted as a peer by this amazing group of terrific musicians and wonderful people who come to the Summit.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: May 07, 2013 07:33:15

What a fantastic weekend of music, Crispy put on a great surf fest. Yes
It's already been said, but for the number of bands that played...the variety of music was amazing. The Instro Summit was all over the map; the different surf stylings kept three days of instrumental rock refreshing!

I'm still in North Carolina right now (Asheville to be exact) so I haven't had alot of time to get all my pics done but I plan on posting them over the weekend.

Stacy

Everything you said about the Summit is true!

Great pic of the Great White Caps! I'm looking forward to seeing everything.

I should add that Stacy won the mustache contest.

Last edited: May 07, 2013 09:05:50

Noel wrote:

I just don't know how Ivan does it. He travelled farther, did so much more and still managed to write a nice summary of his experiences at the Summit before I even get home. And he even played another show. It MUST be because he's young. Big Grin Of course, it helps that he's brilliant! I'm totally beat and still gathering my thoughts.

It's an honor for me to be accepted as a peer by this amazing group of terrific musicians and wonderful people who come to the Summit.

Hats off to Noel for letting me use his Texotica Reverb unit during our set. Great sounding tank! I had more than one person tell me how good it sounded after. The phrase "creamy drippy reverb" was mentioned more than once!

He also brought his own Quilter amps & guitar for folks to demo. Our guitarist Alan (aka: Unit Alpha 7 Xray) got to try em out and was most impressed. I suspect he might be purchasing one soon?

People like Noel and many others really add to the event in a big way!

METEOR IV on reverbnation

Last edited: May 07, 2013 09:30:16

Thanks so very much. It was all a great pleasure for me.

I have to mention that Chris Parks from Quilter sent me these MicroPro-200 and Aviator amps as demonstrators to take to music stores and shows so guitarists can have the opportunity to play and hear them for themselves.

I have my own MP-200 and used to use it for this sort of thing before Chris saved me from not being able to play it while I had it loaned out.

Last edited: May 07, 2013 09:29:32

Noel wrote:

The grand finale was an impromptu jam with Johnny Stewart of The Monterreys joing The Vivisectors for some all-out full-throttle instro madness of such sustained guitar mastery and power that we were all left numb-eared and delirious with joy.

Just a brief sample. Wait 'till you hear the whole thing. Unbelievable!

And that's Phred Rawles from Ninth Wave on drums who did an awesome job filling in at the last minute.

Last edited: May 07, 2013 10:02:21

The Ninth Montisectors? Very Happy

You guys are awesome, I feel like a tool for missing that! Duh

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

morphball wrote:

The Ninth Montisectors? Very Happy

You guys are awesome, I feel like a tool for missing that! Duh

Good one, Mike! It was an amazing thing to experience. At least you'll have the complete video of it when it comes out.

One more thing. Who wants Crispy to put out a CD comp with a song by each band from this year's Summit? I'm all over that idea and want one very badly. Should this be a Poll question?

Penetrators Tribute Playlist

Here's the i-phone video I shot of The Penetrators Tribute - sorry for the video quality,(and the sideways "Red Sunrise") but I think the sound is pretty decent.

I also shot a bunch of The Surge set, and will add those later.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Last edited: May 07, 2013 12:42:41

I would say give Crispy a rest. The man puts a ton into this every year. Momentos of the experience are nice. But almost every band had a merch booth set up with available music. If someone wanted something by a particular band then it was certainly available, and in most cases still is.

Noel wrote:

One more thing. Who wants Crispy to put out a CD comp with a song by each band from this year's Summit? I'm all over that idea and want one very badly. Should this be a Poll question?

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

thanks very much, Noah, Mike, Noel and NeedsMoreReverb - greatly appreciate the kind words!

Sonichris wrote:

Here's the i-phone video I shot of The Penetrators Tribute - sorry for the video quality,(and the sideways "Red Sunrise") but I think the sound is pretty decent.

Oh my God, these are FANTASTIC, Chris!!!! Thank you so very much for shooting them and posting them so soon! I love them!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Can you remind me of the keyboard players name Ivan? Bobby/Roberto.... I need to put him in the description.

I plan on doing a bit more of a write up later when I get a chance -

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Robert

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

I'd like to invite the several lurkers I talked to at the Summit (you know who you are Big Grin ) to join now. Come on in. The water's fine. We'll be very glad you did. So will you.

I was in Vegas this past weekend celebrating my 1-year wedding anniversary which is why I missed this years' Summit. I'll be there for sure next year, though. The new venue appears to have been a hit!

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

WoodyJ wrote:

I was in Vegas this past weekend celebrating my 1-year wedding anniversary which is why I missed this years' Summit. I'll be there for sure next year, though. The new venue appears to have been a hit!

Really missed you a lot, but you had a great excuse. Congratulations!

Noel wrote:

I'd like to invite the several lurkers I talked to at the Summit (you know who you are Big Grin ) to join now. Come on in. The water's fine. We'll be very glad you did. So will you.

Is that my cue? Just a few things to add to what's been said. The top highlight of my weekend was hanging out at the Saturday morning hotel-room practice session for the Penetrators tribute. You can all hear how boss it turned out -- mighty thanks to Sonic Chris for videos. It was beyond great to see Trace and Sticks still looking good and hear them still playing rock-solid. (I don't think I'd seen them since Rip's funeral ten years ago.) Great to spend time with Ivan, as always, and with Dane, Todd, and Patrick of The Madeira.

The bands I had most looked forward to -- The Madeira and the Coffin Daggers -- did not disappoint. But of course a big treat of an event like this is discovering great bands I'd never heard of before. On Friday it was the Diamondheads, tasteful original surf (I bought and like their CD), and The Mystery Men, who were like a new band in the way they've stepped up the complexity and power of their songwriting. On Saturday it was Blood Red River, playing hard rock instros ("We're here to @##$% up your Fender party," they announced on taking the stage with Gibsons) without cliches, and Beware the Dangers of a Ghost Scorpion, tight high-energy punk-surf.

A special tip o' the cap to The Atomic Mosquitos, who stunned me with their unexpected cover of "Jaan Pehechaan Ho" (as heard in the move Ghost World and recently in Heineken commercials). It makes me wonder, following the Morricone tribute done a decade ago, whether there are enough surf bands ready to tackle a Bollywood tribute?

Sonichris wrote:

Worship THANK YOU SO MUCH CHRIS!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Sonichris wrote:

Can you remind me of the keyboard players name Ivan? Bobby/Roberto.... I need to put him in the description.

I plan on doing a bit more of a write up later when I get a chance -

Robert Huffman of the High Fidelics

Goto Page: Previous 1 211 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next