Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Charvel Surfcaster - Via Eastwood?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

Regarding patents, body shapes, and all that.

I worked at Weber Grill for a time. I designed their 2 smokers, 26 3/4 kettle, a few other things.

They NEVER thought of patenting the Weber Kettle. The only protection they have falls under a trademark.. a bowl shape and lid (the kettle), 3 legs to support it (and the 2 wheels) and a single handle on top of the lid.

From there they've been able to sue, etc (often winning) based on trademark. This has also extended into greeting cards, advertisements, july 4th paper plates, etc. ANYTHING that depicts a "weber" looking kettle grill.

Funny.. just before I was laid off, they filed over 15 patents that I had a hand in designing either solely or part of a group. I should have been listed as an inventor. Somehow they "forgot" me. Live and learn..

They make a good product, but they are horrible to work for.

Additionally, it's a lie about the kettle originally being used as a buoy in Lake Michigan. it always was intended to be a grill. they added the story for "romance".

so1om wrote:

Regarding patents, body shapes, and all that.

I worked at Weber Grill for a time. I designed their 2 smokers, 26 3/4 kettle, a few other things.

They NEVER thought of patenting the Weber Kettle. The only protection they have falls under a trademark.. a bowl shape and lid (the kettle), 3 legs to support it (and the 2 wheels) and a single handle on top of the lid.

From there they've been able to sue, etc (often winning) based on trademark. This has also extended into greeting cards, advertisements, july 4th paper plates, etc. ANYTHING that depicts a "weber" looking kettle grill.

Funny.. just before I was laid off, they filed over 15 patents that I had a hand in designing either solely or part of a group. I should have been listed as an inventor. Somehow they "forgot" me. Live and learn..

They make a good product, but they are horrible to work for.

Additionally, it's a lie about the kettle originally being used as a buoy in Lake Michigan. it always was intended to be a grill. they added the story for "romance".

I spent time working for Charbroil in the grill industry shortly after finishing college. One of the first things in the hiring process was having me sign away any potential future ideas for $1. Oh well...there was no creativity anyway. Everything we worked on was simply reverse engineering existing designs from other manufacturers.

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

I had/have no intention of making money from the patents. legally I should have been listed as an inventor for having the "a-ha" moment

also.. they cannot make the "future idea" stick.

This just tweeted:

Eastwood Guitars ‏@EastwoodGuitars 2h2 hours ago
Two new #crowdfunding projects off to the races The May Queen... … and the Surfacaster...](http://eastwoodcustoms.com/projects/eastwood-surfcaster/)

It's for reals, but they want you to prove your passion with a deferred gratification.

Squink Out!

Last edited: Feb 08, 2015 21:37:43

Looks like this is happening, enough people have signed up (me included). There are some interesting comments from Mike Robinson at Eastwood in answer to various questions around stuff like the neck shape, colours, etc.

Here

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3