Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Will Jaguar mute assembly fit Squier Jags?

Page 1 of 1

Hey all,

I have a question:

Does anyone know if the Fender Jaguar mute assembly will fit/mount onto the new Squier Vintage Modified Jag? Also wondering about the Fender bridge covers for the Jag fitting onto the Squiers, but not crucial.

Looking forward to being active here on SG101 - I think this is my first post!

Rumble on!

BBQ

Ay! I'm SOIFIN' here!

cover, yes. the mute requires a shim with the neck, a little drilling, etc..

another member has a new idea with a cover mute if you are looking for a mute regardless of old school look.

)so1om wrote:

cover, yes. the mute requires a shim with the neck, a little drilling, etc..

another member has a new idea with a cover mute if you are looking for a mute regardless of old school look.

Yes, they fit, except to make one work you will need to bore a rather large hole through the center of the body, deep enough to fit the plunger and spring into, but not deep enough to see light through the bottom ;)

Here's a Squier VM Jag I modified with an original mute, but only screwed the assembly to the body, without drilling for the plunger. It's totally non-functional, but gives it the classic Jag look.

Yes you will need to add a shim or 2 to the neck to get it to work, but that's exactly what Fender did in the 60's too, so no worries. The original bridge cover fits right on the factory Squier bridge too... which is cool.

Thanks! And great photos of the surf green Jag!

Ay! I'm SOIFIN' here!

I searched this out because I'm curious, did Fender really shim the necks to fit the mute? Does it raise the action to an un-playable level, or just eliminate the possibility of a low action? I'm considering installing a mute on my Squier VM and I'm not too keen on shimming the neck. With 13's I imagine a higher action would be more tolerable anyway.

You can put humbuckers in it, but why?

SmileySmile wrote:

I searched this out because I'm curious, did Fender really shim the necks to fit the mute? Does it raise the action to an un-playable level, or just eliminate the possibility of a low action? I'm considering installing a mute on my Squier VM and I'm not too keen on shimming the neck. With 13's I imagine a higher action would be more tolerable anyway.

I don't know if anyone answered your question but, yes a new fender mute assembly will fit on your Squire. oddly Squire drills the stock pickguard for the two mounting screws for the mute plate--but does not route the hole for the plunger and spring..... Anyway I have a VM surf green jag and I put a working mute on mine. it was pretty easy locate the position for the hole and drill the body with a 1/2 inch forstner bit to a depth of 1 1/16" thats all it takes. I put a AVRI tort pickguard on mine and the hole for the plunger was already in the guard so I just traced it on the body and drilled the guitar out. one thing I did notice was a fter a day or so of use the mute was hanging up and very difficult to operate. I popped off the plate to check the spring---it was actually starting to push its way into the uber soft basswood body. So I cut thin metal slug and pushed that all the way into the hole to line the bottom, the spring now rests on that. Also I filed the screw that pushes on the plunger in the plate--basically just created a ball on the end and buffed it smooth--it makes the action of the mute much more fluid. As far as shimming--yes you have to shim. I used three layers of cardboard from the fender mute label packing--When you install a mute the bridge has to be raised up substantially--by adjusting the neck with a shim you can bring the action back down, so shimming brings action down, not up--it also helps to gain sustain --the 50th anniversary models have a "new neck pocket angle" for the supposed reason of gaining sustain.--I used a micrometer of the fresh card stock and replaced it with brass shim stock so there wont be any compression later on.--make sure you snug up the upper screws on the neck first-then the lower--then fully tighten them equally. With the shim my action is as low as it came stock. Hope that helps.--moses

MEJr.

SmileySmile wrote:

Shim heaven on the originals.

I think new Jags are using a 0.070" shim at the heel.

Somewhat related story, my Marr jag has the angled neck pocket.... but still needs a shim.

I do like how the mute and cover make that neat compact little chrome unit with the strings passing thru..

I just caught the Marr/Fender video. Finally.. an artist, like him or not (i do), that can actually speak about the technicals.

Page 1 of 1