SG101 on the Web

Follow SurfGuitar101 on Twitter

Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

bigtikidude: You mean not even FB?
10 days ago

Number9: OMG ! Shock
9 days ago

Tuck: You occasionally notice such bands. Often it turns out that FB just won't admit they're on FB. Or that they haven't admitted they're a band yet.
9 days ago

mom_surfing: i put some surf christmas holiday music in our local radio station library today, so we'll be rockin' with LSJ, the ventures, frankie lee sprague and the blue hawaiians.
8 days ago

bigtikidude: as much as I like xmas surf music, I have to wait till after thanksgiving to listen to it, otherwise I burn out to early.
6 days ago

Emilien03: New Mac user here!
3 days ago

SixStringSurfer: Well darn, I wrote Gerry McGee on facebook, never heard back from him. Oh well, I knew it was a long shot. Sigh
2 days ago

Emilien03: New Moon!
12 hours ago

bigtikidude: Listen to North Sea Surf Radio all day n night this weekend for the top 101 surf classic and revival countdown replays from last year
10 hours ago

bigtikidude: replay of classic surf show has started again.
6 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

SG101 MP3 Comps
Top 101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Alamo Amps

New Topic
Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Does anyone have any opinions about the old Alamo amps? To narrow it slightly, the hybrid tube/ss and the tube models before them.

Maybe a Univox does surf...

oops! nevermind

http://reverbnation.com/thecoffindaggers
https://www.facebook.com/coffindagger
http://coffindaggers.com/
http://thecoffindaggers.bandcamp.com

Last edited: Aug 09, 2012 22:11:58

Actually Alamo amps and guitars were made in San Antonio, Texas. When Valco shut down Alamo bought a lot of surplus parts from them, that's probably where the confusion lies. Here's a really great article about them - http://www.vintageguitar.com/1816/alamo-guitars-and-amps-remember-the-alamo/

My main amp is an Alamo Futura Reverb, which is a twin twelve w/ about 35 watts and I totally dig it.

Bill S._______
image

HELLDIVER on Facebook

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012 15:03:33

remora1 wrote:

Actually Alamo amps and guitars were made in San Antonio, Texas. When Valco shut down Alamo bought a lot of surplus parts from them, that's probably where the confusion lies. Here's a really great article about them - http://www.vintageguitar.com/1816/alamo-guitars-and-amps-remember-the-alamo/

My main amp is an Alamo Futura Reverb, which is a twin twelve w/ about 35 watts and I totally gig it.

Wow, I didn't know that! They're really similar to a lot of Valco stuf, so I always just assumed... Thanks for the correction.

http://reverbnation.com/thecoffindaggers
https://www.facebook.com/coffindagger
http://coffindaggers.com/
http://thecoffindaggers.bandcamp.com

I've played an Alamo Fury amp once, all tube early 60s chrome-face one, vol bass and treble controls, 3 inputs, either 12" or 15" speaker, probably 20 watts. Sounded great, had a sweet overdrive at higher volumes and nice cleans but not as bright as a Fender amp. Would've bought it but there was some weird mod with the tubes and the wiring looked sketchy. Great amps though.

I forgot about that article. I'll need to re-read that when I get a chance. Any opinions on the hybrid circuits? I was considering grabbing a Montclair reverb chassis, since I have a cab to throw it in, a speaker and tubes. I would need the proper reverb tank though.

Maybe a Univox does surf...

Here's another article about my amp that does a good job of describing the way these hybrids sound - 1970′s Alamo Futura Reverb Guitar Amplifier

I've also got an Alamo Electra 2570 which is a twin 10" that sounds pretty sweet too.

Bill S._______
image

HELLDIVER on Facebook

I have an Alamo Dart that sounds real cool, a tube model. It's only 12 watts though, wish it was louder!

I was told a long time ago by an amazing guitarist that if I ever came across an old Alamo Jet to buy it as quickly as possible.

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

Just bought an Alamo Embassy blackface tube amp, sounds really cool. Looks exactly like the Alamo Jet (EXACTLY!) so I don't know what's the story there. Tremolo, 2 knobs, 3 inputs, 10" speaker, low volume, and perfect for old school music. Falls into the 60s budget amp/Silvertone/Harmony/etc category. Now I need an Alamo guitar to pair with it!

Awesome! Can't wait to see it! I've never been able to find one.

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

Matt22 wrote:

Awesome! Can't wait to see it! I've never been able to find one.

Traded that Kay guitar for it. Got it @ Precision Guitars. I'm always on the lookout for old "crappy Wink " tube amps. A cheap way to calm the G.A.S. until next purchase..lol

I think you should put a picture of it up here. For educational purposes of course Smile

Maybe a Univox does surf...

Alamos aren't bad amps; their one handicap is that most of them don't get very loud. Some are annoyingly soft, if you know what I mean. There are supposed mods to fix stuff like this, but they may also lessen the reliability of the old boogers.

The Solid State/Tube hybrid stuff is okay; of a couple I've played, they're sort of like cheapo variants of Music Man amps, but they grunge up a little better at higher volumes. They also can suffer the same issues MM amps get when you push the preamps too hard (like with Overdrives, Volume boosters, etc), in that they'll start to sputter and motorboat from the abuse.

When I was younger, and there seemed to be an Alamo Fury amp in every pawn shop in the country, I viewed these amps with a leery eye; every time you turned them up and the tubes got hot, they emitted a certain smell that made you think something was burning! But an old amp guru friend told me to I was being misled--ALL Alamo amps smell like they're about to catch fire! I don't know if that's true, but it's a good lie if it ain't.

--Crispy

I would really like to try the Alamo Paragon, or 2725, not sure if it's the same amp. Supposedly for bass, a 1x15.
MD

CrispyGoodness wrote:

Alamos aren't bad amps; their one handicap is that most of them don't get very loud. Some are annoyingly soft, if you know what I mean. There are supposed mods to fix stuff like this, but they may also lessen the reliability of the old boogers.

The Solid State/Tube hybrid stuff is okay; of a couple I've played, they're sort of like cheapo variants of Music Man amps, but they grunge up a little better at higher volumes. They also can suffer the same issues MM amps get when you push the preamps too hard (like with Overdrives, Volume boosters, etc), in that they'll start to sputter and motorboat from the abuse.

When I was younger, and there seemed to be an Alamo Fury amp in every pawn shop in the country, I viewed these amps with a leery eye; every time you turned them up and the tubes got hot, they emitted a certain smell that made you think something was burning! But an old amp guru friend told me to I was being misled--ALL Alamo amps smell like they're about to catch fire! I don't know if that's true, but it's a good lie if it ain't.

--Crispy

I know what you mean about the "softness" and "motorboating Big Grin " sounds. When the volume is maxed, after a few minutes it starts to get mushy and weird, I thought I bought a piece of sh*t, but now after hearing about others with this issue, I guess it's part of the Alamo charm! Otherwise it sounds fine, not that loud, but great for jamming and practicing. Pics to follow

image

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012 19:47:43

That's mighty purty right there. I saw a Paragon Bass amp head with similar cosmetics to the one above, as a matter of fact, it sort of looked like this one: http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/smrz/DSCF1263.jpg
maybe I should call that store about it...

Maybe a Univox does surf...

There's a Paragon bass amp on eBay right now for $550, looks nice.

Funny thing is, I bought a Kay guitar project for $40, restored it, then traded it for the amp. So, with materials added in for the restoration, the Alamo amp basically cost me like $55 bucks! lol

Goto Page: 1 2 Next
Top