Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Favorite non-Surf Instrumental Song

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

Squid wrote:

websurfer wrote:

Here are two of my favorite...

Whatever did Travis drawl in the middle of Scratchy? (I suspect it was backwards)

Weird ain't it? Your question intrigued me, so I isolated that part of the track and reversed it. I tell you what, this guy was WAY ahead of his time for 1964 using heavy fuzz and some advance playing technique for the day. The spoken part of the track appears to me, to just be gibberish, HOWEVER, the part is in two sections, the 1st half is gibberish as it was recorded (forward if you will) the 2nd half is the same phrase but NOT the same take and tracked backwards, so no matter how you flip the whole phrase, the line always sounds the same. Amazing. Smile

People who know me know I love this song, in almost all it's versions

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Last edited: Mar 07, 2013 00:29:06

Wow...good work, vint!

vintagesurfdude wrote:

Weird ain't it? Your question intrigued me, so I isolated that part of the track and reversed it. I tell you what, this guy was WAY ahead of his time for 1964 using heavy fuzz and some advance playing technique for the day. The spoken part of the track appears to me, to just be gibberish, HOWEVER, the part is in two sections, the 1st half is gibberish as it was recorded (forward if you will) the 2nd half is the same phrase but NOT the same take and tracked backwards, so no matter how you flip the whole phrase, the line always sounds the same. Amazing. Smile

Last edited: Mar 07, 2013 10:59:04

DannySnyder wrote:

People who know me know I love this song, in almost all it's versions

Wow, that is a pretty complete list, it even had the great Muppets version.

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Dig this funky cover of thriller by spanish band speaklow. Sorry i couldnt find the embedded code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1UFE2sFH8o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited: Mar 07, 2013 16:15:21

Been listening to a lot of Grails lately. This is one of my faves. Moody and beautiful.

Word Made Flesh

vintagesurfdude wrote:

So what Travis recorded was a pallindrome. That's a brilliant and fun finding. I expect the first half is in Tennessee drawl. For a while I lived in hillbilly Eastern Tennessee and the locals had a unique drawl that was impossible for me to decipher in conversation. The first impression is that it is gibberish. The locals do understand each other and they can tone it down to make themselves understood by non-locals. I'm guessing that Travis stated what is scratchy, and if you slow it down you'll be able to identify his words.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Mar 07, 2013 19:13:15

LeeVanCleef wrote:

A few of my favourites (besides Beethoven's 9th which was already mentioned):

Beethoven's 9th Symphony is a vocal.
Among my favorite instros are Beethoven's Piano Concertos #3 and #5.

The first surf style instrumental IMO is Mozart's Turkish Rondo. It is blazing fast (about 230 bpm). If you doubt that it is fast just try to play it on guitar while keeping up with a piano recording.

The first surf style vocal IMO is Offenbach's song "A Spaniard Knows (The Ways of Love)" from his 1868 opera "La Perichole". If you hear it sung in English you will hear how Offenbach invented vocal rock-n-roll. Offenbach is most famous for writing "The Can-Can."

I love "Your hand in mine" by Explosions in the Sky.
http://youtu.be/JzIK5FaC38w

IMO.

Well, if you really want to get nit-picky (which you clearly do by taking someone to task about the Ninth)...

Squid wrote:

Only the Finale has vocal music and the work is still considered a symphony. In fact, the vocals don't even begin until well into 45 minutes into the piece, making it consist more of instrumental music than vocal.

The first surf style instrumental IMO is Mozart's Turkish Rondo.

How? In what ways? Please elaborate musically? Also, FYI, "Turkish Rondo" is an over simplification and improper nickname that teachers use to explain the third movement of the 11th piano Sonata to kids.

The first surf style vocal IMO is Offenbach's song "A Spaniard Knows (The Ways of Love)" from his 1868 opera "La Perichole". If you hear it sung in English you will hear how Offenbach invented vocal rock-n-roll.

Again, can you please elaborate? How does this have any correlation to "Surf style" vocals or Rock n' Roll?

Offenbach is most famous for writing "The Can-Can."

No and no. Offenbach is most famous for writing The Tales of Hoffman and the Can-Can refers to a kind of dance that others much later associated with a piece from Offenbach's Orpheus in the Underworld. The Can-Can was being danced approximately 28 years before the first performance of OITU even occurred.

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

JONPAUL wrote:

Well, if you really want to get nit-picky (which you clearly do by taking someone to task about the Ninth)...

Squid wrote:

Only the Finale has vocal music and the work is still considered a symphony. In fact, the vocals don't even begin until well into 45 minutes into the piece, making it consist more of instrumental music than vocal.

Which is one of my favorite things ever. When you go to see the Ninth performed, you have this full choir sitting there for damn near the full length of the ninth. Then one of the soloists sings

"O Freunde, nicht diese Toene!" "Oh Friends, what are these sounds?"
"Sondern lasst uns angenehmere anstimmen und freundenvollere!" "But let us strike up more pleasant sounds and more joyful! "

The the choir and the other soloists come in and it is amazing. The lyrics are absolutely amazing. And then the second part of the fourth movement comes in with the soloist again... and it is even fucking better.

Regardless of it being a vocal song or not, saying "instrumental song" doesn't make any sense either. It isn't sung... so how can it be a song? I know it is common to call any music a song, I'm just sayin', not trying to really make a point.

Regardless, it is one of the finest works. Not my favorite, but I can't deny what a great work it is.

Also calling the "Turkish Rondo" the first surf instrumental is really... I don't like it. Trying to compare surf music to Mozart... Why? Comparing any classical music to surf music...

JONPAUL wrote:

Squid wrote:

Our general understanding is that if a piece of music includes a substantial amount of singing of words that deliver a message it is a vocal. Beethoven's 9th isn't the only vocal symphony. Mahler wrote at least one.

The first surf style instrumental IMO is Mozart's Turkish Rondo.

How? In what ways? Please elaborate musically? Also, FYI, "Turkish Rondo" is an over simplification and improper nickname that teachers use to explain the third movement of the 11th piano Sonata to kids.

I chose the name to identify the piece of music, and that it did. Here the Baronics play Mozart's Turkish Rondo note for note (but adding drums) and this illustrates how it is a surf song. They do play it slowly (about 170 bpm rather than 230 bpm), but it is still fast enough to be challenging on the guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0zmfE4Cd8M

The first surf style vocal IMO is Offenbach's song "A Spaniard Knows (The Ways of Love)" from his 1868 opera "La Perichole". If you hear it sung in English you will hear how Offenbach invented vocal rock-n-roll.

Again, can you please elaborate? How does this have any correlation to "Surf style" vocals or Rock n' Roll?

It has rock-n-roll vocal riffs. They are somewhat similar to the Beach Boys.

No and no. Offenbach is most famous for writing The Tales of Hoffman and the Can-Can refers to a kind of dance that others much later associated with a piece from Offenbach's Orpheus in the Underworld. The Can-Can was being danced approximately 28 years before the first performance of OITU even occurred.

These days the most recognizable piece written by Offenbach is the Can Can. This is why I wrote what I did.

Last edited: Mar 07, 2013 22:06:21

Squid wrote:

I chose the name to identify the piece of music, and that it did. Here the Baronics play Mozart's Turkish Rondo note for note (but adding drums) and this illustrates how it is a surf song. They do play it slowly (about 170 bpm rather than 230 bpm), but it is still fast enough to be challenging on the guitar.

230bpm? Dude... Never.
1.) 230 is insanely fast
2.) The Third Movement of Piano Sonata No.11 is Allegretto. ALLEGRETTO. Allegretto is 100-110ish bpm.

Squid wrote:

Our general understanding is that if a piece of music includes a substantial amount of singing of words that deliver a message it is a vocal. Beethoven's 9th isn't the only vocal symphony. Mahler wrote at least one.

It's Western Art Music though... it goes out of 'general understanding' when compared to surf music. I'm not going to argue in favor of calling the Ninth an instrument. I'm going to argue in favor of us not trying to become ethnomusicologists of classical music. I have a deep deep passion for classical music. I must say I know so little though, having not been rigorously trained nor studied in the music. I will gladly discuss any classical music, what I like about it, what I don't like. But to pretend that I can speak as an authority on the music, is ludicrous.

But I will make this point. The Ninth... It has a full choir, it has great lyrics, undeniably catchy. That choir is a statement, they aren't there to sing a song, as it were. They are there as an instrument of Beethoven. One of the reasons Beethoven is so great is his passion. He doesn't make the most appealing music, but it has character. It has life, it has passion, it exists.

Passion creates great music, not great tone, technique, or lyrics.

Here the Baronics play Mozart's Turkish Rondo note for note (but adding drums) and this illustrates how it is a surf song.

You do realize what you said is absurd, right?

It has rock-n-roll vocal riffs. They are somewhat similar to the Beach Boys.

This is also absurd. I want to, figuratively, kick you.

These days the most recognizable piece written by Offenbach is the Can Can. This is why I wrote what I did.

I don't think you are getting Jon Paul's point. "The Can Can", "Ode to Joy", "Turkish Rondo/Turkish March" AREN'T SONGS YOU CAN REFER TO!!!! They are small pieces of much larger works. What you should say, is the "Can Can" portion of Orpheus in the Underworld is the most recognizable melody Offenbach wrote. The point is that almost nobody can name either Offenbach as the composer and even fewer people could place that in Orpheus in the Underworld. When John Paul says The Tales of Hoffman is Offenbach's most recognizable work, he means that among people who know what the fuck they are talking about.

Squid wrote:

vintagesurfdude wrote:

So what Travis recorded was a pallindrome. That's a brilliant and fun finding. I expect the first half is in Tennessee drawl. For a while I lived in hillbilly Eastern Tennessee and the locals had a unique drawl that was impossible for me to decipher in conversation. The first impression is that it is gibberish. The locals do understand each other and they can tone it down to make themselves understood by non-locals. I'm guessing that Travis stated what is scratchy, and if you slow it down you'll be able to identify his words.

Well I isolated the forward half and slowed it down, BSOOM (Beats The S@#$ Out Of Me) I'll see if I can link it. Maybe it'll make sense to one of you guys.

Your text to link here...

^ I don't mean to break up your discussion, but...

Altar wrote:

I love "Your hand in mine" by Explosions in the Sky.
http://youtu.be/JzIK5FaC38w

That's an excellent tune. I LOVE that song. The bass player switches to 3rd guitar and they just layer on beautiful guitar sounds.

I don't like all of their songs. Some of them bore the crap out of me. Some of them are too happy sounding (I like my music dark and broody). But overall, I really do like that band. I actually liked them a lot more after I saw them live. They put on a good show!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next