SG101 on the Web

Follow SurfGuitar101 on Twitter

Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

Theam1964: johnny fortune
12 days ago

Guitarzilla2014: Guitarzilla.com
9 days ago

Guitarzilla2014: check out the high speed mayhem of the surf at Guitarzilla.com or on Facebook @ Guitarzilla . In the spirit of Dick Dale with formere Del Tone John Wheeler
9 days ago

Brian: Guitarzilla.com is a parked domain.
8 days ago

Brian: I think you mean this: http://www.g...
8 days ago

Emilien03: Wow! 2 weeks of instro madnnes in CA! Now ... back to reality! Cool
5 days ago

Brian: It was great seeing you Emilio!
5 days ago

bigtikidude: I agree, yer welcome anytime Emilio
3 days ago

bigtikidude: And yeah reality sucks
3 days ago

HBkahuna: Tony Valentino, founder and lead guitarist of The Standells "Dirty Water" was so stoked by his SG101 Convention experience that he went home, composed and recorded a new surf song. Trying to figure best way to share. Tony gave his permission to share.
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake August Birthdays Cake
SG101 MP3 Comps
Top 101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Jaguar vs Hallmark 60 custom

New Topic
Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

Hey guys,

Which do you think will give me a greater surf guitar sound? The Fender Jaguar or a Hallmark 60 Custom....I know, I know, big difference in price. I just would like to know what you all think. I don't mind waiting to save up for the jag. I also own a Fender 57 reissue in Surf Green but I would like a shorter scale and 22 frets. What sucks is I've play a Jaguar and can't play a 60 Custom before I buy it.

i think you must try it before doing something cause if not you will have regret Big Grin
i see your in us then it must be easy to find a member near you who have one
i love my jag and i am sure i will love an hallmark 60 too

Maybe I can find someone out in Southern California that has a Hallmark 60 Custom. I was dead set on buying a 50th anniversary Jaguar after playing one at NAMM but I played one at Guitar Center I was disappointed. It really needed to be set up...plus I'm not sure I like the short scale. I am short and have stubby fingers and waqnt a shorter scale but just not sure. I just recently built myself an ES335 clone and I like the 24 3/4 scale length. That was the interest behind the 60 Custom it's 24 3/4...dang just not sure.

Not a big Hallmark fan myself. Skip the 50th Anniversary Jag, overpriced in my opinion. Get a used AVRI or thin skin.

for the scale i understand ,for me 24 are too short
25.5 too long then 24 3/4 are the good for me ,surely cause i have play long time on a guitar with 24 3/4 but i feel better with

If you like a 24 3/4" scale neck, you might try finding one of these - Fender Cyclone II
image
They were discontinued around 2005 but they still pop up on Ebay now and then. I had one for about a year. Its 3 Jag pickups sounded great and you could get some really interesting sound combinations but I eventually traded it for a nice CIJ Jag. Sometimes I wish I still had it though!

Bill S.____
image

HELLDIVER on Facebook

WOW that's cool. I still want to play a Hallmark though. The Fender Cyclone mayb be a solution. the other thing I may do is build a warmoth Jag with a 24 3/4 scale neck and vintage Jag pickups

Yeah, I would suggest building one. Get a 9.5" radius if you like the ES-335. Makes a big difference.

And don't splurge on vintage pickups, get Lollar or Fralin reproductions.

The Cyclone isn't a guitar they chose to put good parts on.

I have no first hand experience with a Jaguar. I've always been under the impression that Jags are overly "spikey" treble-wise, but again, it is only an impression and I could be way off base.

I do own a Hallmark C60 and it is my second favorite guitar of the several that I own. My only minor complaint might be that it is a bit on the heavy side, but Hallmark C60 sounds GREAT for surf. I was a bit apprehensive about buying a H60 without playing it first, but I had run across a used one in a local music store and was able to play that one. It convinced me that they are good guitars. I'd have bought that one if it had been the right color.

Good luck with choosing. I would personally would not hesitate to buy another H60. I'd have to spend a little time with a Jag to know what to think about that. There are a lot of Jaguars being used for surf. You probably can't go wrong with either choice.

Rob_J wrote:

I have no first hand experience with a Jaguar. I've always been under the impression that Jags are overly "spikey" treble-wise, but again, it is only an impression and I could be way off base.

That is because people have no idea there is a tone knob on the guitar and various knobs on the reverb unit and amp that limit this. The dreaded ice-pick sound need not happen ala Dave Wronski and other Jaguar players such as Kyle Alaniz and Bill from the Aquanauts.

I own both...AVRI jag, Hallmark C60, and formerly a CIJ Jag. Also have an AVRI Jazzmaster and two strats. I like my C60 and actually picked it over all the others for a recent gig, but fenders just fell better to my hands.

I could be talked into selling my Hallmark so shot me a PM if you are interested...now or down the road.

I'd get a Jaguar. Much more classic surf sound than a Hallmark.

http://www.reverbnation.com/thedeadranchhands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZEW74mHjQk

I'd have to demo one before dropping that kind of $$$ (Hallmark).

I was considering a Hallmark Swept Wing model a while back but I have no way to try one??

METEOR IV on reverbnation

Doug's Island Vibe Guitar Soirée

JakeDobner wrote:

Rob_J wrote:

I have no first hand experience with a Jaguar. I've always been under the impression that Jags are overly "spikey" treble-wise, but again, it is only an impression and I could be way off base.

That is because people have no idea there is a tone knob on the guitar and various knobs on the reverb unit and amp that limit this. The dreaded ice-pick sound need not happen ala Dave Wronski and other Jaguar players such as Kyle Alaniz and Bill from the Aquanauts.

Thank you for listing me with those fine Jag players sir.

I'd probably pick a Jaguar over the Hallmark too. The tough one with that decision is I want a longer scale guitar so the Hallmark wins with that in mind. But say I already had a Jazzmaster as my #1 and I was picking up a second guitar and it was down to the Hallmark and Jag? I'd go Jag.

The Hallmark bug has bitten me a few times. The idea of a Mosrite with a playable neck for my large hands is tempting. The guitarist in the band I've been playing with lately has one, but I haven't gotten my hands on it yet.

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

reluctant aquanauts

I think Mr_Reverb63 has a sunburst 60 Custom for sale, you might message him and ask what he wants for it.

BillAqua wrote:

JakeDobner wrote:

Rob_J wrote:

I have no first hand experience with a Jaguar. I've always been under the impression that Jags are overly "spikey" treble-wise, but again, it is only an impression and I could be way off base.

That is because people have no idea there is a tone knob on the guitar and various knobs on the reverb unit and amp that limit this. The dreaded ice-pick sound need not happen ala Dave Wronski and other Jaguar players such as Kyle Alaniz and Bill from the Aquanauts.

Thank you for listing me with those fine Jag players sir.

I'd probably pick a Jaguar over the Hallmark too. The tough one with that decision is I want a longer scale guitar so the Hallmark wins with that in mind. But say I already had a Jazzmaster as my #1 and I was picking up a second guitar and it was down to the Hallmark and Jag? I'd go Jag.

The Hallmark bug has bitten me a few times. The idea of a Mosrite with a playable neck for my large hands is tempting. The guitarist in the band I've been playing with lately has one, but I haven't gotten my hands on it yet.

Is that guitarist Roger? He has kind of a special Hallmark. Isn't it a 60 with a 59 neck or something like that?

The Exotics 1994-Current
http://www.myspace.com/theexotics
The Chickenshack - www.wmse.org
www.uptownsavages.com

These are two very different guitars. I have a CIJ jag and added antiquity pickups, then got a stock Hallmark 60 from DiPinto's used site (at a great price), and recently picked up a used avri jag which is stock plus a mastery bridge. The two jags sound similar and are more what I think of as surf. The hallmark pickups are a lot hotter... If you use a reverb unit, you may have to turn the dwell down quite a bit if you want a clean tone. I find the tone knob on the reverb needs to be turned way up on the hallmark. To my ears, the jag likes treble, the hallmark bass. Jag is more likely to snap, hallmark is more likely to bark.

I don't think there is any doubt that a Jag is up there with the best in terms of being a surf machine.....the Hallmark makes a nice alternative since it has a longer scale and much flatter fretboard. The trem is excellent, though I did have to modify mine to so that it didn't come loose. The Hallmark, as you would expect, is great for Ventures stuff. I has an added dimension that the Jag doesn't have in that it can do a respectable job with older jazz or country stuff like Joe Maphis/Merle Travis. The tone is not as twangy as a fender, but is much thicker. Great for something like Taste Of Honey. The bark is a function of the pickup height - if you put them up close to the strings it will really drive the amp, but back them off and its much cleaner. I like it both ways.

I own both and play them every single day through my '67 Bandmaster and Gomez reverb unit...Love them both to death but I find myself playing the Hallmark more because I like the hotter bark it has. And the neck is FAST as lightning on the C60. I have mine strung with D'darrio 11-49 and its like butter...
But as the old saying goes "Try before you buy"

See this is the challenge. I don't feel comfortable buying something I haven't played. I play Surf Music every Thursday night at am open mic tavern called J Carters in Murrieta. I've really gotten known for it and I want to continue working on more. My strat is fine and does a great job. I just want more of the traditional Ventures, Chantays, Belairs sound. I'm really leaning toward the 50th anniversary Jag. It has all the bells and whistles.. I guess I really want both. I remember the Moserite days and all the hype. Just never got to play one. I must confess and love having different style guitars.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next
Top