Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
168 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
115 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Jazzmaster tips

Page 1 of 1

premiere guitar seems to be having a nels cline love affair lately & has this little tidbit from his & lee ranalo's guitar tech.
jm tips

5 Essential Jazzmaster Maintenance Tips
Eric Baecht
How to keep your Jazzmaster rock solid on the road.

Working as a guitar tech with Sonic Youth for a dozen or so years, and now working with Nels Cline, I've become pretty familiar with the Jazzmaster and how to keep it rock solid on the road. The following tips are for road guitars, not necessarily nice vintage Jazzmasters used for recording or collecting. I'm all for keeping guitars as original as possible, but if you're taking it out on the road, occasionally some compromises need to be made.

1. First things first: Change the bridge!
    If you've got a stock old-style Jazzmaster bridge, you know how useless they are with any sort of passionate playing. Fender has improved the bridge design a bit lately, but at the very least I'd recommend swapping it out with a Mustang-style bridge or, even better, the Mastery Bridge made by John Woodland. We put them on all of Sonic Youth's Jazzmasters and it really was a game changer. Even with the Mustang and Tune-o-matic bridges we previously used as replacements, there was a considerable amount of filing the string slots so the strings wouldn't slip out during hard playing, but with the Mastery those days are over. It's a simple drop-in replacement, designed to last forever and highly recommended!

2. If you use the tremolo a lot, you must lube.
    There are many choices out there and I can't say which is the best, preferably a petroleum/graphite combo. Make sure your strings slide freely within the nut before applying it. Here’s how to check: Next time you change strings, take the strings you've just removed and slide them through their respective nut slots. There shouldn’t be resistance. If there is, lube the nut of the wound strings and then run a string back and forth through the slot until it feels right. This seems to be less destructive than sandpaper or a file. With the plain string slots, I might use some very fine sandpaper or Mitchell's Abrasive Cord, with some lube, to get it nice and slippery. Do this with every couple string changes and gradually it will (hopefully) stay more in tune. Also, make sure to get the underside of the string trees, preferably with the abrasive cord, or run an old low-E string under them.

3. Combat floppy tremolo bar syndrome.
    This is a bummer with almost no solution, though some of Fender's newer designs are addressing this. For the traditional style bars, one thing we did in Sonic Youth is use a threading die to thread the end of the tremolo arm and screw on a lock nut so the trem arm would stay in place. Depending on the tightness of the lock nut, you can adjust the tension of the arm. One problem is this is a little destructive to the originality of the instrument, so you need to make that decision. Also, you can't remove the arm at all, which for Sonic Youth was okay because they could go crazy and the thing would never pop out—that's why they started doing that in the first place. With this mod you can't remove the arm when casing up your guitar but we've found it's not really necessary. Even in a hard case, just find the angle (sort of over the jack) that the arm will bend the least when it's in the case. Believe me, those SY guitars traveled millions of miles and it was never an issue. Always pulling the arm out when casing contributes to it getting "floppy" as well. More recently, Nels' main guitar had a super floppy arm and I didn't want to modify it in any way or change the Trem plate. I found the tiniest hose clamp I could find and squeezed it around the sleeve that holds the arm in on the underside of the tremolo plate. Not too, tight but just enough. So far so good! I'm just checking it every few string changes to make sure it's holding.

4. Consider the electronics.
    If you're really rocking and the rhythm circuit is not your cup of tea, you could try what we did in Sonic Youth and get in there and do some soldering and completely bypass it, so you don't hit that switch accidentally and cut off your sound. Some players like to keep it as a convenient kill switch, and some folks really like the added tonal options the rhythm circuit provides—to each his own.

5. Replace your pickguard.
    If you've got a vintage Jazzmaster with the old-school celluloid pickguard, these things tend to shrink over time and you might find it impossible to adjust pickup height as the covers are being squeezed by the pickguard. There are only a few solutions to this. On Thurston Moore's guitars I've dremeled out the pickup holes a bit to make them fit, but ideally you can swap out the guard with a new one.

Important: if you remove a vintage celluloid pickguard, mount it (with the original screws if possible) to a piece of wood so it doesn't shrivel up too much, in case you ever decide to put it back on your Jazzmaster.

As far as new pickguards go, the real Fender tortoiseshell-style is pretty passable, or another cool solution is an anodized aluminum pickguard from tone-guard.com. Sure, you don't want to lose any of your axe's mojo by changing the guard, but the whole point is functionality, and you've got the old one properly preserved in case you ever want to go back.

Bonus tip: On old Jazzmasters, the foam under the pickups tends to rot out. I've found a great replacement. At first, I was getting this stuff from a guy on eBay who was calling it "NOS Jazzmaster P-Bass Pickup Foam," but I found that it’s basically an adhesive weather stripping you can get at any hardware store. You can use it for all kinds of things, like inside the battery compartments of effects pedals.

Matt Heaton & the Electric Heaters
"Dick Dale meets Dennis Lehane"
http://www.heatonsurf.com

Thanks for sharing that, Matt!

Those musicians dish out a fair amount of abuse (especially Sonic Youth). Not criticizing. I really like them, and they are using those guitars as tools of self expression. Being their guitar tech must be a real challenging job. I have seen Sonic Youth jam a drumstick in the bridge and use the other stick to bang on the strings, and end a set by wedging screwdrivers under the strings and violently popping them by jerking it forward. You can see how hard Nels hits his guitar by the deep groove he is wearing in the wood behind the bridge, etc, etc.

It is a testimony to Leo Fender that these guitars can remain functional at all night after night--even with a guitar tech to take care of them.

Under normal circumstances (i.e. played but not abused), I'm sure offsets can handle the rigors of touring just fine as they are. But floppy trem arms and strings popping out of bridge saddles are often an issue, and it's good to read about some fixes. I know the Mastery bridge was a godsend to those players. They can now strum as hard as they want and not worry about it.

Leo gave us amplifiers so we wouldn't HAVE to strum hard.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012 01:18:33

Louie7 wrote:

Leo gave us amplifiers so we wouldn't HAVE to strum hard.

...and John Woodland gave us the Mastery Bridge, so we can.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Also if your pickguard does shrink you can heat it up a bit in the oven to get it to expand enough to screw it back on. Just don't overcook it!

I came. I saw. I left.

I also had a problem with the stock bridge on my AVRI JM constantly dropping during a set. The cheap set screws used for bridge height would come loose and the bridge would slowing sink during my performance until the action became unplayable. Ended up having to put a drop of lock tight under each screw to hold it tight. Now it works fine. Anyone else have this problem?

I came. I saw. I left.

squirt50 wrote:

I also had a problem with the stock bridge on my AVRI JM constantly dropping during a set. The cheap set screws used for bridge height would come loose and the bridge would slowing sink during my performance until the action became unplayable. Ended up having to put a drop of lock tight under each screw to hold it tight. Now it works fine. Anyone else have this problem?

One of my AVRI's does this, just started recently. It is a 1999 "first run" version that had been trouble-free up to that point. Blue Loctite solved the problem.

I had a MIJ Jazzmaster several years ago that the saddle screws would rotate and cause the saddles to drop.

Regarding the "Change the Bridge" thing, if you play very aggressively, all you have to do is slightly deepen the groove that the string rides in with a v-shaped jeweler's file. It is way cheaper than a Mastery bridge and allows perfect intonation, unlike a Mustang bridge. I tried one of those and took it off the next day.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

squirt50 wrote:

A very common problem, as Jack said above, a drop of Locktite on each screw solved it.
I installed a Mastery bridge a couple of months ago, and to my (unjustified maybe) disappointment the 2 outer screws (that support the whole bridge) also were lowering with vibration. At Woody's (Mastery's) suggestion, a drop of Locktite solved it too. I guess with such small diameters, vibration is always an issue.
Other than that, I love that bridge for it's stability and precision. The stock one worked well for me too, but the M is better.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012 12:55:40

Thanks for sharing! Concerning the super floppy arm: I have a CIJ Jazzmaster and the tremelo is just that, super floppy. Like it's falling out when I lean forward. I don't mind that much, because I kinda like it when the arm fall down all the way when I let loose. I feel that the arm is in the way when it is stuck and you're not using it. However, I was wondering if it is basically ok to let it be super floppy or am I really screwing it up, like I'm damaging the inner works.

The Surfaders official website

I just stayed in a house with a '64 Jazzmaster which I am seriously GASsing over. The thing is beat to hell & rusting away in a basement. I'm going to try and acquire it. I'll post some photos in another thread when I get a chance. but MAN did that pickguard shrink!

Matt Heaton & the Electric Heaters
"Dick Dale meets Dennis Lehane"
http://www.heatonsurf.com

matt wrote:

I just stayed in a house with a '64 Jazzmaster which I am seriously GASsing over. The thing is beat to hell & rusting away in a basement. I'm going to try and acquire it. I'll post some photos in another thread when I get a chance. but MAN did that pickguard shrink!

Whoa...I get serious GAS just thinking about it. A '64 Jazzmaster Worship

Hope you can snap it up Please keep us updated

You're not drunk if you can put your socks on while standing.

Very slightly bend the end of the tremolo arm that goes down into the ferule into a very shallow curve. Slightly is the operative term. This will put a stop to the floppy tremolo bar issue. It doesn't take but just a very slight curve. Have patience, you can get it right and correct that modern Fender lack of attention to vintage detailing.

eddie k

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

eddiekatcher wrote:

Very slightly bend the end of the tremolo arm that goes down into the ferule into a very shallow curve. Slightly is the operative term. This will put a stop to the floppy tremolo bar issue. It doesn't take but just a very slight curve. Have patience, you can get it right and correct that modern Fender lack of attention to vintage detailing.

eddie k

I'm surprised the author didn't know about this, unless he just chose not to do this for some reason.

For newer members who may not have seen this yet here's a tip (Eddie's I believe) on how to bend the arm slightly. Drill a hole just a hair bigger than the trem arm diam.(3/16ths I think) into a scrap of 2x4 going at least 1" deep or so. Clamp or vise the wood so it's rock solid, then place the end of the trem arm down about an inch into the whole. Slowly push back on the arm bending it just a small amount, you should barely see the bend in it if at all. Do a little at a time, then test it on your guitar. It takes very little. I did this what? 5 years ago and it's still holding perfect. Works on Jags too.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Yeah, it's the perfect, permanent solution.
As I recall, Dave Wronsky once said he used a door hinge for that, said they're just the right size!

Page 1 of 1