Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink What's your favorite tremelo?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Probably the Tremolo on my Showman amp.

BUT... if you're referring, as I surfspect you are, to Vibrato tailpieces, I wood vote for Bigsby first, Stratocaster second. All others are sitting outside 1' swells on a lea shore.

skeeter---yea, i've had a couple of tuna melts die over the years, but for $35, i think they are awesome!!! and cheap. Agree

now if ya'll were talking 'bout whammy bars---i like the strat ones the best. haven't played a real JM in 45 years but they seemed to do fine--if i remember right!! don't care for floyds or wilkinsons or whatevers.

Enjoying the surf,sun and sand!!

YES!! the dano cool cat tremolo is now on my wishlist and will get ordered on payday!! skeeter recommended!! and cheap. Shocked

I personally am a fan of the tremolo in my old Harmony amp. The tremolo in my other amps doesn't work unfortunately...

As far as guitars go, I'm only familiar with the one on my Univox, the strat style, and the mustang style. Unfortunately in my Jagmaster, the tremolo block threads are stripped out. Though it stays in tune much better now.

Maybe a Univox does surf...

Assuming this:

My favorite is the Malekko Analog Tremolo. It's about the size of one of the dials on the Fulltone Supa-Trem I used to use, but I believe it sounds better. If the OP meant "vibrato", right now it is a Mosrite vibramute, but that is subject to change when my first Jag arrives.

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Although I love the sound of a Jazzmaster/Jag trem for certain things, I favor the strat trem. It's design makes it pretty seemless to pick and apply vibrato at the same time. Also, the steel trem block pretty much gives the strat its unique tone IMO. Jake's description of it as being "acute" is a very good one!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

zzero wrote:

oh, you guys are gonna laugh at this--the danolectro tuna melt tremolo is my personal favorite---cheap. it has 2 modes and is cheap. you know that i'm sure. great garage band sound.
my mustang III has a pretty good tremolo but i haven't messed with it much.
Lame Sorry

I wouldn't laugh at that, I'd laugh(not really) at anybody who considered a blackface piggyback amp as their favorite tremolo. So weak... All of them... I've had better luck with Super Reverbs and Twin Reverbs.

In disagreement with some members, I find the Carl Martin trem pedal to be OK in a pinch. The best trem on amps I've found is the Magnatone "true vibrato" on the M-xx series and the Estey MP-x series - just a wicked trem.
For guitar, the Mosrite trem is best for me - no Rube Goldberg-let's complicate-a-cup-of-coffee-with-many-moving-parts Stratocaster nonsense, no difficult-to-re-string Bigsby,no "sideways vibrola" Gibson garbage. I haven't had a Mosrite go out of tune badly ever with its trem unit. It doesn't get any more complicated than 1 spring.
The cast Vibramutes are best as they have more mass. Then come the mid 60s forged Moseleys; then the cheapo white metal Moseleys in the late 60s/early 70s.
J Mo'

thanks JAKE for your support!! as you know; i'm frugal (cheap). looking for performance and price. i thought i might get some hilarity at my choice but it's been nicely received! appreciate it Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012 17:15:49

Most of that Danelectro stuff beats the price/quality coefficient. Completely usable/good but ultra affordable.

'65 Twin Reverb RI tremolo sounds nice, I have a 1969/70 Harmony 515 amp and that tremolo is pretty intense. I owned a Kalamazoo Model 2 amp at one time and that was probably the best tremolo I've heard (or at least that I've owned). Small but man that thing throbbed! (No pun intended)

Isn't it funny sometimes that a post can be interpreted in completely the wrong way, even after the original author chimes in and clearly reiterates what he's talking about?
Hmmm

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

I wasnt happy with my fender trems, my EHX pulsar, my dunlap trem, my fulltone supatrem that stayed on my board for 10yrs.. so I focused on the sound of both the EA trem from australia and the german Schaller trem, mixed em up and made my own. The nailhead, its neither swampy or choppy but rather round and bubbly but never over taking the guitar. I dont want to sound like i am selling anyone on it so I wont post picts or video, but sometimes you just get tired of whats out there and have a sound in your head for your own rig and you need to make it happen.

http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nocturne-Brain-Preamp-Zombies/240721872969

Goto Page: Previous 1 2